Crash ... - GL1800Riders
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Crash ...

Dixie and I just started out on a short trip this evening ... came up on a little scooter, moped type of thing. Just then the guy swerved in a bit of loose gravel and lost it. His passenger, a 19 year old girl was tossed off and laying in the middle of the road. She'd hit her head pretty hard on the pavement and caught some road rash on her arms and wrist. Neither one had any gear. She was almost naked with just a brief top, short shorts and slippers. We stopped to see what we could do. Another car stopped. Three of us called 911 immediately. I grabbed several cleaning cloths from my bike and ran to the girl, she was half sitting in her friend's arms and holding a shirt to her badly cut head. Blood all over but not a serious amount. She was terrified and I did what I could to calm her, holding her hand with my other hand on her shoulder, telling her it wasn't too bad and the ambulance was on the way. NINE vehicles showed up including two volunteer responders, a couple police, a couple sheriffs, and a fire truck. The ambulance was last to arrive. We were three miles out of town.

With so many there to help, we went on our way. Three hours later we were going by the hospital and I thought I might check up on her. She was still sitting in the emergency room with stitches in her head and ugly abrasions on her arms and wrists. I keep thinking that with a helmet, gloves, a jacket, jeans, and boots she would have been laughing rather than facing weeks of pain and life long scars. Very few motorcyclists and practically no scooter riders in east central Indiana wear any gear ....
Risky likes this.

Tom Batt ... the "FROGG TOGGS GUY"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Maybe she'll become an ATGATT advocate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Greg

SFC, U.S. Army (Retired)
2004 GL1800
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Glad she will be OK yeah I get a laugh and horror at the same time when I see many scooter riders only wearing a business suit or shorts and t shirt

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Our bodies have evolved over millians of years to survive incidents to us that happen no faster than we can run and even then we can cause serious injury to ourselves.

So anytime we are artificially moving faster than our legs can carry us, ATGATT protection is wise.

My friend suffered similar abrasions when he fell off his bicycle wearing just tee shirtband shorts.

Meanwhile, this guy walked away from a track day high side after a mechanical failure.

2WheelNut likes this.

My Toys (Current Stable)
'15 Ducati 1299 Panigale S
'15 Ducati Multistrada
'12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
'08 GL1800 (Level 3) Traxxion Full Monty, '04 Uni-Go Trailer (Sold)
'07 Suzuki GSXR1000
'08 KTM 300XCW
'07 Ducati 1098S
'98 Yamaha R1
'93 Bimota DB2
'75 Honda CB400F
DS #1166 (Once)

Last edited by ChrisE; 04-18-2017 at 11:31 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Member

As a MSF RiderCoach I am always harping about ATGATT. I just shake my head when I see people without gear. Yes she probably would have been real sore for a while but perhaps no stiches (and no stich scares). It's not just us motorcyclists. The number one cause of death for children between 6 and 15 in the US is head injuries from riding a bike without a helmet.

Bill

Florida Prowler 02

Remember ATGATT

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member

A few months ago, Baggers Magazine published an article about helmet use. I wrote a letter to the editor commenting on the piece and they published it. See the June issue of Baggers magazine......1st letter.

2012 HD CVO Ultra
2010 GL1800 Level 3
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000
DS#1515
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Having just been hit from the rear by a car on my wing, I can attest to ATGATT. I have one abrasion on my left knee that appears to have happened when my jeans rubbed my knee pretty harshly, but no other scratches or scrapes. I started a different thread on it with picks so you can see the impact there:

I walked away from it.

I'm stiff and sore today and probably will be for a few more days, but no serious road rashes or anything like that.

Thank you for stopping to help her and make sure she got the help she needed. I had several people stop to help me as well. It's always appreciated, believe me!!!

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing fan View Post
Glad she will be OK yeah I get a laugh and horror at the same time when I see many scooter riders only wearing a business suit or shorts and t shirt
Wait business suits?!?!

Scooter riders around here just had one too many DUIs and had their licenses revoked...I cant say I've ever seen a businessman on one before....
Hoosier Daddy likes this.

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Wait business suits?!?!

Scooter riders around here just had one too many DUIs and had their licenses revoked...I cant say I've ever seen a businessman on one before....
Yes business suits pretty common down here
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

No offense to the ATGATT proselytizers, but it's hard for me to picture a teenager and his girlfriend riding a scooter while dressed in armor from head to toe and wearing full-face helmets.
spummerr, Shiv, shojac and 2 others like this.

2016 Goldwing (Candy Orange)
2009 Goldwing (Black Cherry) - FOR SALE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page