XM with prepaid credit card - GL1800Riders
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

XM with prepaid credit card

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the XM Sirius offer for 6 mo @ $30 and then ending it after that.
I hear that XM doesn't make it easy to cancel so I thought that I might use a prepaid cc for the subscription and then allow the cc balance to got to near $0 so that XM can not get any more $ out of me after the trial offer ends.
Has anyone done this? I have never used a prepaid card so how might that work?

Bill Morphy
Mic-Mutes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member

I had XM. Called 2 months before the end of the contract - and cancelled and they gave me a confirmation number. About a week before the end of the contract - I called again to make sure. Having read about all of the horror stories..... I wanted to MAKE SURE it was cancelled.

I had switched credit cards mid-stream (for other reasons) ...... fast forward a month and I get an invoice for a month's worth of XM. I called - gave them the cancellation confirmation number. They said "OK, sorry". Three months later, I get an invoice for three months of service and a nasty note saying that they were referring the account for collection.

Next month, the collection agency started sending me notices and calling me. I gave them the cancellation number from XM. They didn't care about that.
There's more but the short story is that It took 10 months to get them straightened out.

So - just because you don't have a credit card on file with them - doesn't mean that they won't charge you anyway.
MarkEHansen likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
I'm thinking about taking advantage of the XM Sirius offer for 6 mo @ $30 and then ending it after that.
I hear that XM doesn't make it easy to cancel so I thought that I might use a prepaid cc for the subscription and then allow the cc balance to got to near $0 so that XM can not get any more $ out of me after the trial offer ends.
Has anyone done this? I have never used a prepaid card so how might that work?
Run away! Run away! Their customer service sucks!! I had an account for 5 years and every year they raised the price. It took three phone calls to get it cancelled. I never got to a representative that spoke English as their first language.

Buy an MP3 player and use the AUX jack.

Rayjoe
Bartman and MichaelB like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Do what I used to do (I no longer use XM, have a memory stick with over 3200 songs). Anyhow - use an electronic banking check. I would call before the "snag you" 6 month subscription ended, telling them I want to renew at my current rate. Sometimes the first person could authorize it, otherwise I get sent to cancellation department who can authorize it. So they ask for my credit card number, I verify the correct balance owed (note that they will try to charge you a $2 invoice fee, have them take it off the total as you are paying them immediately by electronic check). So hit send on the check, give them the confirmation number, mark your calendar for a week before your term expires, and start the circus over again.

Eventually I got tired of doing this, made a memory stick for the wife and don't care about XM anymore.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Have them send you an invoice, then write them a check or mo. They won't prefer this, but it's the safest way to do it. Your state may or may not permit a $2.00 invoice fee. In no case should you give them a regular cc number.
Monk and jimfrompa like this.

Fighting for YOUR right to revise any post you don't like.
'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

MP3 player

Yes, actually I don't have an XM radio on the bike. Only in my cars. I do use an MP3 player on the bike. I record streamed music in 2 hr blocks and save as MP3 files for bike use.
I like XMs Deep Tracks and Classic Vinyl. I wanted to stream and record XM channels to MP3 files for a cross country trip this July. Going from Pittsburgh to LA. I'll be on the road about 3 weeks.
silverbullet05 likes this.

Bill Morphy
Mic-Mutes
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin K. View Post
Have them send you an invoice, then write them a check or mo. They won't prefer this, but it's the safest way to do it. Your state may or may not permit a $2.00 invoice fee. In no case should you give them a regular cc number.
Do you beleive that this would prevent the collection agency dilema ?

Bill Morphy
Mic-Mutes
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

I have it on 3 vehicles and always make them send me an invoice and I send a check. No issues but I don't intend cancelling as I like it. I do however threaten to cancel every time until I get the rate I want.
weengers and silverbullet05 like this.

Previous Honda's Include:
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2013 Honda F6B

The most dangerous man on earth is the man who has reckoned with his own death. All men die; few men ever really live. ~John Eldredge

Firefighter for over 27 years, follower of Christ.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
Do you beleive that this would prevent the collection agency dilema ?
You don't owe anything now, right? You would be paying now for 6 months of future service. They invoice you x, you pay x and it's done. Near the end of the term of service you will get a notice of an extension at a (way) higher price. You can respond or not. If you don't, you'll get a "reminder" call. Go into negotiation mode or tell them to **** off. They don't have a valid cc # so you have the upper hand. I'm speaking as someone that has been going through this nonsense since years before the merger. I've been paying cash for several years for one or two receivers with no glitches except the 6 or 12-month phone conversation that results in my bill going down from the previous period. I'm not a legal expert, nor do I play one on TV. (But I could.) (Anyone could.)
Racer57 likes this.

Fighting for YOUR right to revise any post you don't like.
'05 GL1800 Silver
'87 HD FXR Low Rider
'80 KZ750
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I used to pay with a credit card but now I send a check... I threaten to cancel when I get the higher renewal notice and sometimes it takes a call or two to get the lower rate... It's a hassle but I do like the service and I subscribe toXM music, XM Nav Weather and XM Nav Traffic...
gray red rider likes this.

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - BT-45

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page