XM Radio Info Questions - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member

I've also been a longtime XM subscriber and love the ability to ride cross country and always receive the same stations. Plus, they have a good variety of channels for everyone. As for the customer service aspect, I've experienced both bad and good. The most recent was very good. They handled my request in a very efficient and professional manner. That wasn't always the case in previous encounters. But, my most recent contact with them was good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM
DFG
Seasoned Member

It came with our new car for a several month free trial. But the reception in town and to our kids' place 50 miles north was regularly being blocked by tall buildings, trees and mountains (on the way north). Too much of an irritant to keep it.

Maybe we're too far north. I live at the north side of Greater Vancouver, up against the mountains. A colleague has it on his Goldwing and likes it, but he lives 15 miles south of the mountains where it's flat.

Just something to check out in your particular location.

Doug in North Vancouver
2006 White GL1800
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Good golly; I never realized there was so much to learn about XM radio services!! Many thanks for ALL the info!! It's going to take me a few days to digest the info, but already ordered the XM Onyx unit and a12v outlet from EC. Again, many thanks for the info.

Pearl Hot Rod Yeller is the fastest, gets better mileage, attracts fewer bugs, better looking owners, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Must be true; you read it here!!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
My boss uses XM in his truck, and every 3 months he calls to "cancel" his subscription. They offer him a 3-moth deal of $9.99/mo. to stay on, and he takes it. Then, 3 months later, when the "deal" expires, he calls to cancel again and repeats the process.

2010 GL1800 Audio/Comfort (Red)
1981 Yamaha XS1100LH (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS850 (Sold)

Need manuals? Check out my website! Have manuals to share? I can host them! Just PM me!

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
-H. Ford

Last edited by CatatonicBug; 04-21-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Member

No one really gave a good explaination on "streaming".
In simple terms it is listening over the internet. Many sources have streaming. IE radio stations, Pandora, Spotify, etc.
XM offers an option to stream from the internet using any internet capable device such as phone, PC, IPad etc. You do not use an XM radio to listen to XM stream.
To stream XM it cost more then the basic service used by your XM radio.
I stream music at home on my PC and save as MP3 files, and then play them on the bike from my MP3 player.

Bill Morphy
Mic-Mutes

Last edited by Morph; 04-21-2017 at 09:19 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatatonicBug View Post
My boss uses XM in his truck, and every 3 months he calls to "cancel" his subscription. They offer him a 3-moth deal of $9.99/mo. to stay on, and he takes it. Then, 3 months later, when the "deal" expires, he calls to cancel again and repeats the process.

He needs to call and fight for the 99.00 per year plus the music royalty fee makes it about 10 bucks a month.

Today's Purchase Details

Initial PackageSubscription TermCharges

XM Select (1 Year )04/28/2016 - 04/28/2017$99.00

U.S. Music Royalty Fee$13.76

Subscription Credit($0.83)

Total Charges$111.93

works for me.

-

'04 Titanium ABS
Double Darksider
IBA #22990

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page