Best DOD vest - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Best DOD vest

Planning a trip to the Blue Zoo (aka Air Force Academy). Its a military site with high profile vest requirement. Does any Hi Vis vest work or can someone recommend a no hassle vest that they have used in the past that meets all requirements, and fits over the required clothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Most military bases require helmet with face shield or goggles( windshield does not count) long sleeves and some sort of reflective vest or jacket.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1Kx2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member

They're not real picky. Even a reflecrive bright green / orange belt worn cross-body works. Over the ankle boots required.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Greg

SFC, U.S. Army (Retired)
2004 GL1800

Last edited by Retired60mech; 04-20-2017 at 01:32 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dwatc
They all left out gloves also. Just AGATT will work. If your rain gear is yellow or orange just put it on before you get there.

GWRRA #307515
'74 CB 360
'78 400 Hawk
'86 700 Magna
'07 VTX 1300R
'09 Silver ABS
'13 Silver Hannigan

'09 Escapade
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 PM
Seasoned Member

I purchased a really nice hi-viz reflective vest from Cycle Gear that I now wear over my leather riding jacket at all times. The vest has 2 chest pockets, the one on the right side holds my wallet and isn't a see thru pocket but the one on the left side has a see thru cover that I usually keep my Nat. Park Pass in. Didn't break the bank either.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWing View Post
I purchased a really nice hi-viz reflective vest from Cycle Gear that I now wear over my leather riding jacket at all times. The vest has 2 chest pockets, the one on the right side holds my wallet and isn't a see thru pocket but the one on the left side has a see thru cover that I usually keep my Nat. Park Pass in. Didn't break the bank either.

Bet I have the same one. I wear it all the time over my winter jacket. For summer I have a Klim hi-viz jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Life is tough...but it's tougher when you're stupid"
Credit John Wayne
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
Planning a trip to the Blue Zoo (aka Air Force Academy). Its a military site with high profile vest requirement. Does any Hi Vis vest work or can someone recommend a no hassle vest that they have used in the past that meets all requirements, and fits over the required clothing.
Probably a stupid question but What is DOD ?

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
Probably a stupid question but What is DOD ?
Dept. of Defense = Military folk.

2010 GL1800 Audio/Comfort (Red)
1981 Yamaha XS1100LH (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS850 (Sold)

Need manuals? Check out my website! Have manuals to share? I can host them! Just PM me!

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
-H. Ford
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Varies a bit by service and base. Always good to check.

I googled "air force academy base access motorcycle" and came right here: http://www.usafa.af.mil/About-Us/Visitor-Information/

Two weekends ago I was staying overnight at Aberdeen Proving Ground (Army). I am generally fully ATGATT'd up but realized at the last minute that I was wearing my dark jacket (usually have a hi-viz, not that day) and didn't have any goofy reflective stuff with me. I thought I was going to have to go hunt for stuff, but the gate guard didn't blink an eye, just moved me through.

I have seen some folks with some pretty deluxe reflective vests that clearly weren't cheap. Seems crazy to me. If you want a hi-viz jacket, get one. If not, then make do with any econo belt or vest thing that gets you through the door and take it off as soon as you leave base.

I'm glad you posted this because it reminds me to run downstairs and stick my cheapo reflector belt in my saddlebag, because I'll be back at Aberdeen in a week.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member

You have to be conscious of individual base-rules regarding moto gear.

Where I live, one base only requires long sleeve, another reflectives, at one point they were even checking that you had a card that showed you passed a safety motorcycle school.

Boots over the ankle, gloves, DOD approved, and eyes covered are standards.

If they said they want a reflective vest, then get one. Military entry can be very pickie. Most are scanning your id nowadays.

The Marine base here requires a vehicle sticker now...again...they did away with them a while back...but they are back in security vogue now.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page