Costco - GL1800Riders
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Snowmoer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Costco

Anyone buy a bike thru Costco's Moto sports purchasing program? Good/Bad experience? Did you save money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

I was going to but ended up finding a used bike that was like new. It will save you a some money if the dealer normally will not take off the shipping and set up. I was looking at a Kawasaki KLR 650. You sign up and they tell you the closest dealer that is part of the program. I went to that dealer and the deal was they took off the shipping and dealer set up. They also took off $200 from MSRP. I tried to talk them down more, but the dealer would not budge. Granted, this is not a high profit bike. I tried the line of the freight and set up are just dealer tack on and that they get the shipping back from the manufacture after the sale. They still would not budge. I did see the dealer cost when the sales person was not looking and they were making $400.00 on the sale after the Costco discount. That is why they would not budge on the price.

I ended up finding a 5 year old bike in the color I liked with only 300 miles on it. With the money I saved over a new one, I was able to put the extras on that I wanted and still came out money ahead.

I tried the same thing when I bought my truck and camper. The only problem there was the dealer did not have the truck or camper I wanted in stock and they would not go to another dealer to get one.

It is a good program and I check into it when ever I am looking at a big purchase like this. All three dealers I worked with were very helpful and they did not pressure me at all.
Bluecyclone likes this.

Dan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AMA Life
2012 GL1800
1988 GL1500
1977 GL1000
1988 NX 650
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I love Costco.

I bought a car from them in 2008. It seemed like it was very easy to get a very fair deal. If I had wanted to put more work into it, I probably could have done a little better but was too busy to bother at the time.

From the folks I've talked to more recently that have used their various programs, that seems to be about par for the course.

They do have some super specials go by here and there that involve kick-backs with Costco cash cards and stuff, lined up every now and then with a manufacturer's promotion that might be hard to beat if you value all that is bundled in there. Short of that, I suspect you'll get 90%+ of the deal with 5% of the effort. If the last <10% of the deal is your thing, knowledge is power and there is so much of it running around out there you can probably do better or do similar with another buying service, but you'll have to work at it.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

I'm looking at adding a new 2016 Kawasaki ZX 1400 R. I'll try Costco & see what I can get. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page