Lithium Battery on a GL18 - GL1800Riders
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Lithium Battery on a GL18

Alright lets hear it, why nots/ and the why si/...
I ain't prejudice, I listen to anybody's opinion

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Member

If GLs charging system meets the requirements for charging and maintaining the battery and the battery meets or exceeds the requirements for the bike it should be a good fit...... huge weight savings for sure. If I had a light dual sport it would have one.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm not sure I see the advantage of Lithium. Parasitic battery draw means that you'll still have to recharge it regularly (driving or on a charger) and if on a charger, you'll need a different one.

A lighter battery means nothing, most GW riders carry more extra weight on their bodies already, that'd be a much better place to remove weight IF that were the idea.

What I don't know if whether a Lithium Battery would have more cranking amps than the ones we currently use, that'd be the only reason I may want to look at one.
William Anzik and brcisna like this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Don View Post
I'm not sure I see the advantage of Lithium. Parasitic battery draw means that you'll still have to recharge it regularly (driving or on a charger) and if on a charger, you'll need a different one.

A lighter battery means nothing, most GW riders carry more extra weight on their bodies already, that'd be a much better place to remove weight IF that were the idea.

What I don't know if whether a Lithium Battery would have more cranking amps than the ones we currently use, that'd be the only reason I may want to look at one.
Yes, more cranking power for sure
No, the parasitic caveat was relevant when they first came out. Not any longer.
'm thinking: even the on the GL-Bus there be nothing wrong with losing weight, along with their riders.

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Lighter is always better, but is this a problem we have been longing to solve, and is it worth paying extra for? No and no.

Have we been having problems with the cranking capabilities of the existing battery? No.

There is no value to be gained from Lithium-Iron batteries. It can never pay for itself. It may some day become a viable technology, but at this point in time, it isn't a cost effective alternative.

They have to get the cost down significantly first. And they have to solve the problem of poor cranking capability in cold weather. That limitation is a deal breaker right there. Once those problems are solved, I may consider one, IF they turn out to be reliable.

Using Shorai for example, the GL1800 battery is over $300. We have a lot of members here looking to Walmart because they are moaning about $85 for the cost of an OEM Yuasa. I can go through three Yuasa batteries and still not pay for the cost of one Shorai.

I would love to have a battery that lasted the life of the bike, and one that had enough reserve capacity to power my campsite overnight. That is something I would pay a lot of money for, because it gives added value. But alas, that is a Utopian dream.
bigbird1 and Crookster like this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 04-27-2017 at 07:27 AM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Lithium Battery on a GL18

After two back to back Yuasa failures. I am open to other options. I will only buy an AGM that I fill and charge. No telling how long those pre charged units sit on the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shellback - 1987

2017 - Goldwing Navi ABS
2011 - Road Glide Ultra
(For Sale)

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Seasoned Member

I've had a Shorai in trike for nearly four years. I put the charger on it about twice a year just to be sure the cells are balanced. In cold weather the key to a lithium battery is to simply turn on the key and wait for about a minute while the lights cause the battery to warm up. It then starts with no problem. (I've never had to do this by the way. It's been parked outside while traveling to mid 30's and I never have had to wait to start it.)

I enjoy the weight savings, being a large posterior person, but I'm also anxious to see how long this battery will last.

As a side note, I purchased this battery because it is a new technology and if people don't give it a try then we will never know how to improve it, or prove its worth. Just sayin.....
Nando likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgoldwing View Post

As a side note, I purchased this battery because it is a new technology and if people don't give it a try then we will never know how to improve it, or prove its worth. Just sayin.....
And you are a hero to all of us for being the guinea pig.

I am not an early adopter, on anything. Heck, I was working on CD players for 5 years before I finally bought one. The closest I have ever come is completely killing my Cable TV and going to 100% OTA and online streaming. The anxiety over that one nearly gave me a stroke.
Nando likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

@Sparky57
I respect your opinion on this topic with a slight correction: the only idiosyncrasy of a lithium batt in cold weather is that you may have to turn the key on and let it warm up for a minute. Like @mhgoldwing , the whole time I toured with a lithium in my K16 I never had to do that. It always started in cold morning with the first flick of the key.

I think more pertinent to the one's decision is whether it is worth 300+ bucks to lose 25 lbs (or whatever the lead batt weights).

Some lithium have to be recharge with a particular charger. However EarthX batt can be charge with any trickler.

I did it before because it felt good to my soul to replace the 'lead-brick' supplier of electricity...with something much lighter.

To be honest with ya, I enjoyed the way it kicked-awaked that K's 6 cylinders into action in the mornings.

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
@Sparky57
I respect your opinion on this topic with a slight correction: the only idiosyncrasy of a lithium batt in cold weather is that you may have to turn the key on and let it warm up for a minute. Like @mhgoldwing , the whole time I toured with a lithium in my K16 I never had to do that. It always started in cold morning with the first flick of the key.

I think more pertinent to the one's decision is whether it is worth 300+ bucks to lose 25 lbs (or whatever the lead batt weights).
That's not really a correction. You are agreeing with me. That is exactly what I was referring to with the cold weather cranking. I'm glad you didn't have issues, but many have, and it is a well known trait of this technology. It isn't isolated to any one manufacturer.

I'm fine with whatever anyone wants to buy, whether it is a $300 Shorai or a $45 K Mart Blue Light special. Everyone has, what is to them, a good enough reason for what they chose.

You did ask for opinions, right?.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page