Love what you have! - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
As you may have read, I tested a '17 Road Glide Ultra recently.
It's infotainment screen was totally distracting, and it was slow to respond.
You need special gloves for the screen, or else bare fingertips.

I prefer gauges that are visible in the line of sight.
Even though the Goldwing dash may be long in the tooth, it is easy to read, and gives me all the info I need.
Now if the next Goldwing came out with some form of head's up display where you don't have to lower your line of sight, that's a different story.
There's no reason why Honda can't do a head's up display projected onto the inside of the windscreen.

They would probably need to make windshield wiper available to all GL1800's like the one's I 've see pictured from Japan and Europe so the Florida crew would be able to see the heads up display through all the splattered Love Bugs on the windshields. I've personally never seen a Love Bug, but have seen a couple pictures of the suicidal bugs results. Running through May Flies would also make one heck of a mess.

While on this thought why doesn't Mother Honda put windshield wipers that work effectively on the GL1800's? Seems they would rather put unnecessary heated grips on a bike that you should be wearing gloves to operate anyways.

Allen

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
There are many here that wish Honda would "modernize" the GW. These folks are tired of the same ole thing year after year.

Well, maybe you ought to say "thank you" to Honda for putting out a machine that is the most dependable touring machine the industry has ever seen! There isn't a single one of you that wouldn't jump on your GW tomorrow morning and ride coast to coast, given the time and money. No pre-trip appts at the shop to make sure it's ready, just jump on it and ride!

All I'm asking you to consider is not to forget why we started riding bikes in the first place. It was/is just plain fun! No, I'm not saying that modern conveniences aren't nice, but don't let the lust for all those goodies blind you to the real natural fun of riding itself. That's still the objective isn't it? LOL!

Personally, I think a lot of folks in general lust for all the electronic features that are in their cars and trucks. Be careful about that. In a car, you have a lot more protection around you and the screen that has all that electronic stuff is a LOT easier and quicker to read. As riders, we need to pay a LOT more attention to our surroundings than is necessary in a car. That "electronic trap" you are focusing on can be a double edged sword. Focusing on it merely a second too long could prove to be damaging to body and machine.

Think a little about what I have said. Do you really want to be riding a two-wheeled laptop?
Great points and reminders. Ironically if your like me you cuss when you see all the distracted drivers out there yet we are often guilty of the same thing on the Wing. GPS, MP3 players, cell phones, GoPro, radar detectors, etc. The list of potential hazardous distraction on our bikes is long. Honestly we pretty have the same distracting gadgets cagers have but our risk is a lot greater if we make a mistake. As much focus as it takes to ride safely can we afford to be distracted? Do it at the wrong time and the end result is catastrophe. In this crazy world half your attention is needed just to keep from getting killed by the army of idiots behind the wheel. Great post.
Kenichi likes this.

2008 Titanium ABS Airbag
Mega Monty - Heli Bars
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Red
Chard Member

Quote:
As you may have read, I tested a '17 Road Glide Ultra It's infotainment screen was totally distracting, and it was slow to respond.

You need special gloves for the screen, or else bare fingertips.

Do you have a clue you can do anything from the joysticks at your thumbs you can do by touching the screen? You can use them with or without gloves!

Distracting? Slow? lol.... Really doubt you rode the RG long enough to get comfortable on it.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Do you have a clue you can do anything from the joysticks at your thumbs you can do by touching the screen? You can use them with or without gloves!

Distracting? Slow? lol.... Really doubt you rode the RG long enough to get comfortable on it.
Yes I have a clue.
Do you have a clue that you have to take your eyes off the road to absorb all the info on the screen?
wingman05, Steve F and Crookster like this.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Red
Chard Member

Quote:
Yes I have a clue.

Do you have a clue that you have to take your eyes off the road to absorb all the info on the screen?

Looking at the Info screen is no different than glancing at a speedometer. It's second nature for me. Haven't found a real reason the look at it much. It gives you instruction through headsets or external speakers.

If it was distraction to you you were fixating on it because it was new to you. Maybe you should black out all the gauges on the dash of your Wing. They are a distraction if you stare at them.

Ive got 65,000 on Harley's with the infotainment. I've never been distracted by it.

I don't care if you like the RG or not. Just some things your picking at is silly.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

I don't care if you like the RG or not. Just some things your picking at is silly.
Thanks for letting me know that my opinions are silly.
I guess on the subject of giving unsolicited feedback, I'll reciprocate.
Do you know your grammar and spelling are atrocious?
wingman05, Rapidray and Steve F like this.

2013 F6B, black, with ABS
If it ain't broke, try to fix it anyways

Last edited by bigbird1; 05-08-2017 at 02:49 PM.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Red
Chard Member

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know that my opinions are silly.

You are welcome! Better word for some of your complaints might have been petty.

You even complained about the throttle and clutch. After 100 miles you wouldn't even notice it. It would have become natural to you.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Love my 04 all the gadgets sound nice but most everything on my bike is good. Having said that owning an 04 worries me because of the frame cracking issues and the ADG issues. I wouldn't mind the more powerful radio set up of the 06's and up. I don't have the $$$ for a brand new one anyways.

Bill52
Wpg,MB
2004 Flare Red Gl1800A Goldwing
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Seasoned Member

He was just giving his opinion of the ride he had. Maybe it would have become natural maybe it wouldn't , just his opinion , doesn't make him wrong. Petty maybe but if you are looking to spend 30K or more on a bike your opinion of everything counts.

Quote:
You are welcome! Better word for some of your complaints might have been petty.

You even complained about the throttle and clutch. After 100 miles you wouldn't even notice it. It would have become natural to you.

Bill52
Wpg,MB
2004 Flare Red Gl1800A Goldwing
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Good post GOV5.

We all have different reasons why we bought what we bought. I do agree that the Wing needs to be updated if for no other reason than just to refresh the styling. It is really risky offering the same thing to loyal owners for this long. At the same time, I do understand that the economy and the state of the motorcycle industry has probably played a big part in the lack of a new model, but you can only milk that one for so long.

Give me some new, refreshing styling, and a power windshield, and I would be happy for another 15 years.
Kenichi likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page