New GW owner. - Buyer's remorse - Page 10 - GL1800Riders
 299Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Seasoned Member

I have to admit I've been pretty cynical about the motives of the OP also. It's hard for me to believe that someone would make such a major purchase with so little research. Whatever his motive, it has sparked a conversation about the attributes f both motorcycles, if his goal was to make owners here to think less of their beloved Goldwings, I think he failed.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!

Last edited by WVMANDINGO; 05-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
I stole that phrase a couple years ago from someone and have been using it ever since.
Yea, I would love to take credit for it, but "Texas Black Bird" has had it in his signature block since at least October 2005. Owning a Goldwing wasn't on my radar back in 2005.

2006 Honda Goldwing Navi
2003 Valkyrie Standard
2002 Bushtec Quantum GL
post #93 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMANDINGO View Post
I have to admit I've been pretty cynical about the motives of the OP also. It's hard for me to believe that someone would make such a major purchase with so little research. Whatever his motive, it has sparked a conversation about the attributes f both motorcycles, if his goal was to make owners here to think less of their beloved Goldens, I think he failed.
Actually, I think it happens quite often. That is why you find so many 5 year old bikes in classified ads with 3000 miles on them.

What you DON'T see very often is for someone to make a bad choice like that and then turn around and tell everyone about it and complain, like it's the bike's fault. That is the part that has me astonished. (and chuckling just a little)
onewayblues likes this.

post #94 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
Actually, I think it happens quite often. That is why you find so many 5 year old bikes in classified ads with 3000 miles on them.

What you DON'T see very often is for someone to make a bad choice like that and then turn around and tell everyone about it and complain, like it's the bike's fault. That is the part that has me astonished. (and chuckling just a little)
Oh I could see someone who thought that they may like riding and later determined they didn't, Or had other reasons they couldn't. That happens all the time. But even then most buyers comment on how much they loved the bike they purchased. I know a guy who bought a 2003 yamaha last year with 2000 miles on it, the guy loved the bike, just didn't like riding.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!
post #95 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Here's the non-existent GW in question. Just expressing my opinion of my bike. Thanks to those with constructive replies. Sorry to the few of you sensitive-types who are offended by hearing anything but stellar feedback.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
charleetho likes this.
post #96 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Wash that car
post #97 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Like schnits said: I am VERY EMPHATIC about this too. GIVE IT TIME TO BREAK IN.

I bought mine with 1600mi on it and thought it doesn't have any more power than my old 88 with 125k on it.

At about 3500mi it really started picking up power and I MEAN A LOT. So give it time and hang on. It will wear the back tire out fast when it gets up to power. At 10k now and it flies.

Could be the color too. LOL
Ghostrider1krr likes this.

2012 GL1800- 10,100 mi.
78-750 Honda
67 Suzuki X6 Hustler

Bridgestone G851 Excedra ZR- 500 miles so far
Pirelli Snow Control III-R/F- 3000 miles so far
with 31-36psi cold depending on where i am riding that day
post #98 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider1krr View Post
Here's the non-existent GW in question. Just expressing my opinion of my bike. Thanks to those with constructive replies. Sorry to the few of you sensitive-types who are offended by hearing anything but stellar feedback.
It may seems cruel, and it probably is, but on most forums, when someone new joins the community and the first thing they do is start bashing the things that people own, I think it is understandable that they new member is going to be viewed as a suspected troll. Yeah, it happens. It happens on every board, and it happens quite often. It's just not a good place to start a new friendship.

Dissatisfaction with the Wing is not not new. I would sincerely hope that no Goldwing owner is ever offended by any perspective on the Wing that is less than stellar. (That trait is reserved for another brand) I think most Wing owners understand that this is a unique motorcycle that will not appeal to most riders. But over the top comments that show a clear misunderstanding of this bike are going to be met with a healthy dose of skepticism or at least a bit of chiding.

Did you ever buy a car that had a rattle right off the lot? Hundreds of thousands of people have. Do they head straight to the message boards to complain? No, they either find it and fix it, or took it to the dealer to be fixed. A rattle is not even worth the time it takes to complain about it.
GLblinded likes this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 05-11-2017 at 03:03 PM.
post #99 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

The rattle was the least of my complaints. The others are fundamental to the design.

Regarding the sensitive, thin-skinned people's​ on here, a quick review of the last 10 pages of comments are self-revealing. I'm quite sure that the vast majority of the folks on this forum don't fall into this category, thankfully.

post #100 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianawantsme View Post
Like schnits said: I am VERY EMPHATIC about this too. GIVE IT TIME TO BREAK IN.

I bought mine with 1600mi on it and thought it doesn't have any more power than my old 88 with 125k on it.

At about 3500mi it really started picking up power and I MEAN A LOT. So give it time and hang on. It will wear the back tire out fast when it gets up to power. At 10k now and it flies.

Could be the color too. LOL
That's good feedback. I'll do my best to get there as soon as I can! Lol

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page