299Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Red
Chard Member

New GW owner. - Buyer's remorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
If you go all the way back to the first gl riders forum, you will find plenty of comments about the trunk rattling along with the side covers flying off.

The 2001 GL1800 had tons of issues. Sometimes the trunk wouldn't open sometimes you couldn't close it. The original trunk latch assembly was built from recycled beer cans. lol...

Owners were chasing speaker covers and sidecovers down the highway early on. That was usually the fault of the owners. lol...

The early 1800's must have had 25-30 recalls and service bulletins. Our 01's were at the dealership on a too regular basis. Very unlike Honda! I'll never buy a first year model from Honda again.
larryinseattle likes this.

Last edited by Red; 05-11-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm thinking sell the Wing, go buy the K1600.. You're never gonna be satisfied riding that Wing and wonder what you're missing on the BMW. It will be an expensive lesson.
Barrycuda67 and gulfrider like this.

Prowler #93
Korean Veteran
2005 Winger, 2012 Road Smith
Cobra Trike Tire
Native Floridian
post #113 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
The 2001 GL1800 had tons of issues. Sometimes the trunk wouldn't open sometimes you couldn't close it. The original trunk latch assembly was built from recycled beer cans. lol...
Red, recycled beer cans? That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.
WY88 likes this.

post #114 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Red
Chard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bear View Post
Red, recycled beer cans? That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

I'm actually serious! The whole assembly would flex when you used it. I remember some of us would leave the cover off of the latch assembly so we could reach in and physically pull on the cable to open the left bag. The lever flexed too much to open the bag. They replaced a bunch of the originals with a newer stronger version assembly.

Another example. There was a bar that ran across the latch assembly that would bind and not allow the lid to latch. Honda sent a service bulletin to the shops that said to pry the rivets holding the bar with a screwdriver until it moved freely. WTH...
Big_Bear likes this.
post #115 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
My not so stock RG will wallop the wing when ringing out the RPMs. It is no contest below 3k. Can the KTL get up off it's ass, or do you have to run it at 6000 rpm to get anything out of it?
I am assuming that was a typo and you meant GTL.

The answer is yes, it can get up and go. The biggest complaint in a comparison between the Wing and the old K1200LT was the engine ran more like a sport bike engine than a touring engine. It could go, but you had to rev the snot out of it to get it to do anything. Not a good trait to have in a touring bike when you are out for a relaxing ride with the wife IMO.

I have not ridden the GTL, but the dyno graphs of the torque look nearly identical to that of the Wing. The K1600 was the first bike to give the Wing a run for its money in that department. Stump pulling low end torque on a touring bike no longer belongs exclusively to the Wing.
post #116 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider1krr View Post
Good lookin' ride brother!
Like someone else here said, shift in the 4k range & you'll like it alittle better,
& look into some ZDDP additive to help with the clunky shifting.
I'd also seriously recommend suspension upgrade & ADV delete. OEM is horribly undersprung.
Last but not least, DarkSide for improved ride, handling, & grip.
Lots of good technical info on this site for these things.
Hope you & the misses enjoy it, God Bless.
Rapidray and Ghostrider1krr like this.

Peace, Whiskey.
post #117 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Well, I'm late to the party as usual. ghostrider1krr, the only thing that really matters in this discussion is whether or not YOU are happy with your purchase. Your money, your ride. That said, ride the wing some more and see if it works for you and if not, sell it and buy what you want. I don't care if you get a moped, I'll ride with ya!
Ghostrider1krr likes this.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1K x2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
post #118 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:07 AM
Contributing Member

The best way to know if the GW is for you is to go ride 12+ hours in one day just stopping for gas and to eat once. Speed is great that's why your other bike is a sport bike, dirt bike etc. The wing does what it does well, 90 or so on the wing is good enough, it handles well if you fiddle with it a little, race tech font end, maybe a traxion tree, and and updated rear shock it will ride really well through the twisties for the bike it is, but cruise along in the open country and wide open spaces for a solid day and appreciate it for what it does well, sit back enjoy, you own the whole **** road 😎😎😎

2003 GL1800 (Fast and Furious Red)
post #119 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider1krr View Post
Here's the non-existent GW in question. Just expressing my opinion of my bike. Thanks to those with constructive replies. Sorry to the few of you sensitive-types who are offended by hearing anything but stellar feedback.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I have the exact same bike, as others have said, give it some time and miles. I smacked my throttle yesterday to get away from a texting teen encroaching on my space and it felt like a different bike than the week before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike best pic.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	519.6 KB
ID:	197113  
Ghostrider1krr likes this.

Dave, from North Carolina.

2016 GL1800 Goldwing, Current ride
2013 V-Strom DL650 Adventure
2004 FLHTC
1999 FXST Stage 4 Evo
1998 FXDWG
1997 XL
1976 XLCH
1978 ZIR TC (Seized by father)
1976 CB 750
1976 MT 250 Elsinore
1974 CB 350-F4
1974 Kawi 100E
1972 KV 75 kawi
1970 Rupp mini bike
Hodaka Wombat, yes a Hodaka
Husky 450 (also seized by father)
post #120 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Well, at least you didn't get the yellow one.

They're lazy

All they ever do is hang around in the garage and sleep all day.

Reminds me of Leroy, our lazy-azz tom cat.

No matter where you go, there you are.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page