New GW owner. - Buyer's remorse - Page 15 - GL1800Riders
 299Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Member
 
BASSNMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Parsippany NJ Morris County USA
Posts: 1,785
I've owned my Wing new since 04, it has 108,000 mi on it, suspension, steering stem bearings & a few tweeks are done to it, the bike never seems to amaze me, it feels like a new bike every time I ride it.
The Wing is the BEST TOURING BIKE ON THE PLANET!!! HANDS DOWN!!!!

Pat G
2004 Black Wing w 109 K mi, Ridin on an Ultimate Seat, the best there is....
2013 Harley Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo+ 2
AMA #5181144
GWBBA # 48
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173, North Jersey
Darksider # 494 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA 3 195 55 16 put to rest 5/7/16
Kuhmo Ecsta PA31 195/60/16 NR flat in service 5/7/16
*RETIRED & LUVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT*
BASSNMAN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #142 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Member
 
Zee Fifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tucson
Posts: 499
Agreed. The goldwing has shortcomings.

I compare it to a Colt .45. It is the benchmark standard of which all others are compared to. It is what it is. It won't change anytime soon ..... if ever.

Ride safe.
Zee Fifty is offline  
post #143 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:29 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Fifty View Post
Agreed. The goldwing has shortcomings.

I compare it to a Colt .45. It is the benchmark standard of which all others are compared to. It is what it is. It won't change anytime soon ..... if ever.

Ride safe.
Good point. If the Wing is such a slug, why is it that all touring bikes are still compared against it? It's just more proof that the Wing is still King, and everything else is a challenger to the throne.
Big_Bear likes this.
Sparky57 is offline  
 
post #144 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:56 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMANDINGO View Post
I've never understood the term "acquired taste" you either like something or you don't. The things the OP said he disliked about the Goldwing will never change on his current bike. It will not magically become 200 lbs lighter or gain 50 more HP, The analog gauges and switches will not suddenly become multifunctional switches and touch screens, the brakes will not transform into ABS and the transmission will not grow another gear, none of his dislikes are fixable.

His bike will never again be worth as much as it is now, so why wait for continued depreciation and continued misery? If those things are truly important to him he need to cut his losses now because they will only become greater over time. He more than likely will take a financial hit but he would at least be happy paying for a bike he likes, at least until he realizes that bike also has issues that he has to address to be content. There is no perfect motorcycle.
My first inclination after reading your post was to agree with you.. But there is another angle to look at it.

For a bike to become an acquired taste, the rider would have to first accept that their preconceived notions and beliefs were wrong. You would have to change your thoughts on what is most important in a bike. You would have to learn to appreciate things about the bike you had never thought of, or at least never thought you cared about. If a rider can do that, then I can see it becoming an acquired taste.

But to your point, the things being pointed out as negatives are never going to go away. As long as those beliefs are held close, any acquired taste is really nothing more than the rider tricking himself into believing he made the right decision. Sometimes we have to do that for sanity's sake. But it doesn't change the fact that he still bought the wrong bike for him.

Last edited by Sparky57; 05-14-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Sparky57 is offline  
post #145 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member
 
rickwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: U.S. lower 48
Posts: 79
Buyer's remorse boils down to realizing what Dave Ramsey calls the "opportunity cost" of a given hand-full of money. I can spend my money on one thing or the other, but I cannot acquire both with the same fist-full of dollars.

No matter what type of bike it is, we should all, always expect to go through an adjustment to the complex mix of expectations vs realities.

I don't find the bike to be under-powered in the least, but early on after their '01 release I recall reading several accounts of the GL18 being "gunned" from low speed with the result being it "spun" the shaft and stripped the drive splines.

Was that due to a careless rider, an overpowered engine, or lack of good engineering? Or a mix of all three?

A half-ton tourer is not engineered for doing wheelies between traffic signals. And neither is it engineered for messy dirt roads or forest service double-track.

NRA Life Member because ... "Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Motorcycles: '01 GL1800; 2014 DL650 Adventure; gone away already: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

rickwinger is online now  
post #146 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Seasoned Member
 
Racer57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 3,900
Anyone else remember the constant posting from people saying they were going to stick with their 1500 because of all the things they did not like about the 1800 ?

Cuda 383 4 speed Shaker Corvette Stingray 3LT 6.2L 455hp
Racer57 is offline  
post #147 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 AM
Seasoned Member
 
WVMANDINGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
My first inclination after reading your post was to agree with you.. But there is another angle to look at it.

For a bike to become an acquired taste, the rider would have to first accept that their preconceived notions and beliefs were wrong. You would have to change your thoughts on what is most important in a bike. You would have to learn to appreciate things about the bike you had never thought of, or at least never thought you cared about. If a rider can do that, then I can see it becoming an acquired taste.

But to your point, the things being pointed out as negatives are never going to go away. As long as those beliefs are held close, any acquired taste is really nothing more than the rider tricking himself into believing he made the right decision. Sometimes we have to do that for sanity's sake. But it doesn't change the fact that he still bought the wrong bike for him.


Well it looks like the OP has decided to live with the bike, to your point I do believe over time he will come to realize some of the things he deems as deficiencies now are only differences. Like the OP, my wife is a big reason I own a Goldwing, I purchased it because Motorcycling is something we loved to do together and my wish was to make it as enjoyable as possible for the both of us.

I live in Harley country and even though I liked the Goldwing all along, I got a lot of resistance from friends when looking to upgrade my touring rig. If I had listened to the masses at that time I would not be riding a Goldwing. I test rode several bikes and did my research. In the end individuals has to decide for themselves what's important to them, and block out all of the propaganda of flavor of the day.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!

Last edited by WVMANDINGO; 05-14-2017 at 09:35 AM.
WVMANDINGO is offline  
post #148 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member
 
WVMANDINGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
Anyone else remember the constant posting from people saying they were going to stick with their 1500 because of all the things they did not like about the 1800 ?
I don't remember it because I wasn't interested in Goldwings at the time, but I do remember reading that leftover 1500 sales surged by 10% after the introduction of the 1800.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!
WVMANDINGO is offline  
post #149 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member
 
rickwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: U.S. lower 48
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
Anyone else remember the constant posting from people saying they were going to stick with their 1500 because of all the things they did not like about the 1800 ?
I do recall that. At the time I owned a '96 Aspy that truth told, I could probably still be riding. I got a wild hair and sold the Aspy to buy another BMW. To this day I still look back and wonder "what in the world was I thinking?"

Anyway, back to the "bury me with my 1500" loyalists - the loudest protestor in my memory will go unnamed but I vividly recall that he lucked into a good deal on an 1800 that basically he couldn't refuse. He got quiet and sold his 1500 within days...

NRA Life Member because ... "Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Motorcycles: '01 GL1800; 2014 DL650 Adventure; gone away already: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

rickwinger is online now  
post #150 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
Anyone else remember the constant posting from people saying they were going to stick with their 1500 because of all the things they did not like about the 1800 ?
Remember when? Heck, it's still the case for many today. I have a friend who still owns his 95 GL1500. He has had it since it was new. That's 22 years, and deep into the 200K+ range. He loves his GL1500 and hates everything about the GL1800.

I have never tried to get into his head to determine whether he is just being hardheaded, or if he has tried to adapt, but really does prefer the 1500. They are no doubt distinctly different bikes. But he has held true to his word all these years that he would never buy a GL1800. (and it still looks like a brand new bike, despite the miles.)

You can expect the same thing when the GL1800 gets replaced. I could see myself hanging on to my bike if I don't like the direction Honda goes. A few high tech modern gadgets won't sway me.
Sparky57 is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome