New GW owner. - Buyer's remorse - Page 16 - GL1800Riders
 299Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSNMAN View Post
I've owned my Wing new since 04, it has 108,000 mi on it, suspension, steering stem bearings & a few tweeks are done to it, the bike never seems to amaze me, it feels like a new bike every time I ride it.
The Wing is the BEST TOURING BIKE ON THE PLANET!!! HANDS DOWN!!!!

Not since about 2010....

http://www.motorcycle.com/mobos/best...e-of-2016.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Edited.

Michelin Primacy
Bridgestone G709
Darkside #1000
IBA# 63478

Last edited by Duckster; 05-14-2017 at 01:36 PM.
post #153 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

I will agree, that when it comes to two up comfort, the wing really cannot be beat. But overall size and comfort are not the only factors that should be considered when determining what bike is best in a category.

If size and comfort was the sole determining factor, the 1970 Sedan De Ville would still be in production.

post #154 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRPilot View Post
I wouldn't be too quick with that passing of the torch.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/re...ing-mc-comparo

While the K1600 was generally praised for many of its innovations when it came out, most publications did not give the Beemer a hands down crown as the new touring bike king. As this article points out, the K1600GT was actually preferred over the GTL, and it was pretty much agreed that neither version of the K1600 was comparable to the Goldwing. They were too different to be directly compared heads up.

The reviewers preferred the old school cable actuated throttle over the drive by wire, and also preferred the Wing's multitude of buttons over the K1600's more high tech controls.

Take a look at the skinny, (and probably young) passenger in the picture in the link you posted. Do you really think that represents a realistic Goldwing couple? That is not intended to pick on our lovely wives, because the driver doesn't exactly look like the size of a typical Goldwing pilot either.
Rapidray likes this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 05-14-2017 at 03:24 PM.
post #155 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

The 1800 is absolutely the best touring bike for me otherwise I would own something else. I've been touring for over 25 years and I know what I need/want and the 1800 provides the overwhelming majority of those things. For anyone to say that its the best bike for everyone under all circumstances has their head up their........ Especially those that have only taken test rides or rode their buddies bike for maybe 100 miles looking for every frikkin little detail to complain about. If the 1800 is so **** perfect then why is there an aftermarket ?

Thank gawd we have choices and no one or thing is 100% right.

Cuda 383 4 speed Shaker Corvette Stingray 3LT 6.2L 455hp
post #156 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I will agree, that when it comes to two up comfort, the wing really cannot be beat. But overall size and comfort are not the only factors that should be considered when determining what bike is best in a category.

If size and comfort was the sole determining factor, the 1970 Sedan De Ville would still be in production.
Ask your wife or girlfriend to travel cross country with you while riding in the back seat of a Fiat 500. Then come back and tell us again how far down the scale size and comfort ranks on a touring bike. (but you can wait until after the divorce papers are signed)

Sport bikes that have seat pads for a passenger are a sick joke at best. And most sport touring bikes are a cruel torture test for a passenger on a long trip. They even make solo seats for cruisers just so that people aren't tempted to ask riders to take them for a ride. Many buyers simply don't buy bikes with a passenger in mind. The Wing is often bought by solo riders, but it is built primarily to excel as a two up touring bike.

Last edited by Sparky57; 05-14-2017 at 03:43 PM.
post #157 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

If downsizing was the sole determining factor, so would the Cadillac Cimarron and the Lincoln Versailles.
FJRPilot likes this.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!
post #158 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
The 1800 is absolutely the best touring bike for me otherwise I would own something else. I've been touring for over 25 years and I know what I need/want and the 1800 provides the overwhelming majority of those things. For anyone to say that its the best bike for everyone under all circumstances has their head up their........ Especially those that have only taken test rides or rode their buddies bike for maybe 100 miles looking for every frikkin little detail to complain about. If the 1800 is so **** perfect then why is there an aftermarket ?

Thank gawd we have choices and no one or thing is 100% right.

Exactly.
post #159 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
And Beemo has a one of the LOWEST RATINGS in customer satisfaction!!!
Honda SUKS as a company, but, the products are good..

Pat G
2004 Black Wing w 109 K mi, Ridin on an Ultimate Seat, the best there is....
2013 Harley Ultra Classic
Bushtec Turbo+ 2
AMA #5181144
GWBBA # 48
1st Officer SCRC Chapter #173, North Jersey
Darksider # 494 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA 3 195 55 16 put to rest 5/7/16
Kuhmo Ecsta PA31 195/60/16 NR flat in service 5/7/16
*RETIRED & LUVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT*
post #160 of 205 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Seasoned Member

I bought my 2012 new in July of 2012. I had never owned a wing before but after one test ride, I was hooked. I was riding a VTX1800C before I got the wing. I have very few complaints about the wing and I know for sure after looking at the pics of the beemer in the article, I would not like the riding position at all. The wife and I love putting miles on our wing and I have no issues with the power it provides. I do wish it had some more up to date electronics but overall I am a very satisfied customer.
rickwinger and Barrycuda67 like this.

USAF 1982 - 2008 Retired
American Legion Riders
VFW
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page