Backrest--What's It All About - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Seasoned Member

I've never used one either. My natural posture seems to be slightly leaning forward. My wife asked me years ago why I lean forward when riding, I didn't realize I was. Just my naturally comfy position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Member

I installed a Utopia soon after buying my 2012 new. I really like it. I also have handlebar risers which moved my grips back a ways. I'm leaning against the rest in my normal riding position. Makes long rides much easier. Someone earlier mentioned that his wife didn't like it and made her feel cramped. My wife certainly feels the same way. However she doesn't ride with me often so the rest stays on. She is riding with me to Alberta this July and I may remove it for the trip up just to make it more comfortable for her and take the rest along so I can install it for ride home. She is flying back from Spokane. The only complaint about the backrest is from my wife. 🗣

2012 Level 2
Michelin ZP rear tire
Centramatics, Traxxion AK20s and Triple Tree WindBender w/rake
Hannigan GL Trailer
2016 Rollahome Camper
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

I've got back issues and love the backrest that came with my Ultimate seat. MBL risers and the backrest is a great combo.
JGDJR likes this.

06 Wing
Darkside #389
Kumho RF 195/55/16

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
Over the years I have bought two used wings that came with backrest , rode home with backrest installed then removed them, did not like them at all. If you like a backrest that's great.
I did the same thing with three used wings!

Check out my lift!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJmE0ZdZhyU

2012 Level 3 C\W 2013 Lehman Monarchll-LLS
Komoka, Ontario, Canada
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestone View Post
Riding motorcycles is a sport. Like other sports doing it well requires conditioning your body and staying in the best shape you can be. I find that the more ab work I do the easier it is to do long rides. Have crossed the country 5 times and never felt the need for a back rest. For those with existing back problems by all means use the back rest. For those thinking they want one, try doing ab and hip exercise. Perhaps you won't need a back rest.
You are my new idol! I have always believed the same thing. While my best days athletically are long behind me, I still do everything I can to make sure I am at least in good enough shape to ride a motorcycle without blaming the bike for any discomfort or pain. If you can't get comfortable on a Goldwing, that's a bad sign.

Even at 60, I can still easily lift my leg and put it over the seat, (although I did pull a glute muscle this spring doing it after the winter layoff, which put me off the bike for two weeks. My fault.) But I had to work at it. I noticed that my flexibility was getting worse, and I was developing aches and pains, so I did something about it. I am always amazed at the routine that some have to go through to get on their bikes. It's like a novice getting on a horse for the first time.

There are certainly those that are not able to fix their physical problems with conditioning. If a backrest helps, that's great.

But in contrast, I don't think a backrest is just for back problems or conditioning issues. I have a Utopia and really like it. It reminds me to keep my back straight and not slouch, and I do find it comfortable on those 10 hour days. I can ride without it, but I feel more rested at the end of the day when it is installed. I have the Quickout attachment, and normally don't use the backrest for around town riding.
bluestone likes this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 05-18-2017 at 07:49 PM.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Sparky,
Never been called someone's idol before, but if it's simply saying you agree wholeheartedly, then thank you.

The conditioning issue asserted itself to me this past March, when touring New Zealand on a rented BMW R 1200RT. It's a great machine, but too high for me. After a week of getting on and off several times a day, I developed severe pain in my right hip, groin and abdomen which lasted for the first couple of hours in the morning. Even the daily routine of hamstring stretches, squats and hip rotations did not prevent it, and only a couple of rx motrin relieved it. It was clear that my conditioning routine for the Goldwing was not enough for the ergonomics of the BMW. The pain disappeared after 4 days, and at age 70, it's apparent I don't have the athletic abilities I had even 10 years ago.

For all of us seniors who ride the world's most comfortable motorcycle, stay in shape, ride any way you need to and enjoy the ride.
stmike likes this.

08 Pearl White Premium Audio
06 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

LOUD COLORS SAVE LIVES!

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 PM
Seasoned Member

I have had back problems and pain for years. I do everything I can to minimize it and a backrest makes a huge difference.
It also gives my wife a storage pocket for phone, camera, etc.

'05 Goldwing; '03 VTX 1300; '11 Harley Ultra Classic - Sold

John 3:16
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
When I get on the bike...I simply fold the back rest down into the drivers section of the seat...and swing my right leg up and over the seat like any motorcycle I have ever ridden...once on the bike I stand up reach behind me and lift it up and sit back...Just like 90% of you do...I would imagine...That back rest for me anyway...provides great support for my lower back...from my prospective...I just can't see why anyone would not like a backrest like the Utopia...

John
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Seasoned Member

We have guys buying handlebar risers, footpegs alterations, highway pegs, armrests for passengers, choices from dozens of different windshields, wind deflectors galore. For every comfort convenience that someone loves, there will be someone that hates it.

I feel sorry for the OP that he had to dig a hole in his seat to find out that he didn't like it. That can really put a pit in your stomach. For anyone who doesn't like theirs, or finds excessive sweating in the lower back from it, you might have it adjusted too far forward. I have found that even 1/4 turn of the adjustment nut gives a different feel.

I don't adjust mine so that I am forced to rest against it. It only lightly rests against my back during normal riding. I don't lean against it like the backrest in a car. It presses harder against my back during acceleration, and only takes a minor adjustment in my riding posture to lean back against it if I want to relax. I also installed curved spring washers in both pivots so that the backrest can stand on its own, but can easily pivot to fit to the contour of my back without flopping around. It is a delicate adjustment to get it just right and it can take some experimenting. Get it wrong, and it can be annoying.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeth View Post
Hey, James! Swapping is exactly what I did. I bought a Wing with a backrest and did not want the backrest. I did not want to remove it because of "the hole." I advertised on this board to trade even for a stock seat and had no trouble finding a willing "buyer." He rode to my place, we swapped seats and both were very happy with the deal.

Best of luck.

Swap safely.

I was at advanced auto parts in East Ridge and saw a 40th wing across the street at Walgreens. I went over and talked to the owner we exchanged numbers to meet up later to see if it interferes with his wife sitting on back. We may trade.
robeth likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page