Summer Time Blues - GL1800Riders
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Summer Time Blues

I was so geared up for this riding season and then it hit. A pinched nerve and herniated disc in my neck. Unbelievable pain in between my left shoulder blade and spine along with numbness and weakness in my left arm. Even some loss of muscle control. I have been following the typical protocol of injections PT etc. It appears after almost 2 months of agony I am headed for the knife. At this point I am desperate to just get better. This sucks beyond belief. Has anyone else had the problem I am describing? If so I would love to know what you did and if it was successful. I have been on this board for many years and now am very thankful to have it during a lot of ice pack times on the sofa. It is shocking how fast what you love can get taken away from you. I have an MRI on Monday and hope to somehow be out there cruising before long. Thanks

2008 Titanium ABS Airbag
Mega Monty - Heli Bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

I have three times. For insurance reasons they will give you a injection first, I hope that helps. If it doesn't then you need to figure out what surgery you want to complete the job , not a step in between that may or may not work.
When it comes to surgery find and do the final surgery. If they offer something different that should work forget it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
varider likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Member

I did not have that problem, but 2 years ago I was recuperating in a hospital after a 'whipple procedure' surgery. That invovles working on the pancreas. Could not ride that summer as I was recovering most of it. Then last summer I rode a little bit and then contracted a nasty MRSA infection in my liver. Went from 186 lbs to 160 in less than a month. Could not hardly walk for the rest of the summer. Hopefully I will be out riding this year. Hang in there and next year will be more enjoyable on 2 wheels. It really sucks to be just sitting around listening to all the other bikes buzzing around.
varider likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

You might try accpuncture, they have done wonders for me
varider likes this.

Stormin Norm

Riding and Love it
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Member

I actually talked to a rider a couple weeks ago that told a story very similar to yours, he was fine one day and the next day he couldn't move one of his arms, after the shots he wound up needing some kind of neck surgery, apparently things turned out pretty well for him but he said it was the worst thing that ever happened to him, very painful 24 hours a day 7 days a week, he is very thankful things eventually turned out as well as they did.
varider likes this.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere

Last edited by cycledude; 05-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I've had two back surgery's and know how you feel. You'll do anything the relieve the pain. Recuperation depends on the type of surgery they do. They could do laser if the rupture isn't too bad or they could go in and do a lamenectomy, where they just slice off the part of the disc that's protruding, the last option is to do a fusion.
varider likes this.

06 Wing
Darkside #389
Kumho RF 195/55/16
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
I actually talked to a rider a couple weeks ago that told a story very similar to yours, he was fine one day and the next day he couldn't move one of his arms, after the shots he wound up needing some kind of neck surgery, apparently things turned out pretty well for him but he said it was the worst thing that ever happened to him, very painful 24 hours a day 7 days a week, he is very thankful things eventually turned out as well as they did.
Thanks to everyone who has responded. It is encouraging to read that others have had success at finding relief and are able to get back to a normal life. I have an MRI and an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon next week. It is pain 24/7. I have a sofa that gives me decent relief and I pretty much live and sleep on it. I am on here much more now usually while sitting on my ice pack. At least I can live vicariously thru you all until I can get back out riding.

2008 Titanium ABS Airbag
Mega Monty - Heli Bars
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 AM
Seasoned Member

herniated disc are not prone to healing... I am afraid to say.

But if I were you I would try chiropractors, the suggested acupuncture, decompression positions, physical therapy...

...anything before the last resorts: surgery and drugs
varider likes this.

"hum, fear not evil I shall"
"All things with Christ's strength I do"

Yoda quoting the Bible.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Italian Stallion
Man, that really sucks big time. I have a herniated as well as bulging discs along with 2 compression fractures T6 & T8 (motorcycle crash related). There are days that the pain is just unbelievable, but, to my relief, I have a Teeter Hang-up where I hang upside-down and decompress my spine.

The feeling I get as I relax the muscles around my pelvic bone is sooo gratifying. I started at a 60* incline and worked my way to vertical, but, of course, upside-down.

I think I paid $268 for the equipment and loved it so much I bought a second one for my Summer home up north.

There are no doctor's visit I had to schedule and keep and to me, the results are second to none.

Pinch nerves and the pain associated with them are something the we, a-hum not slender guys, must live with as we get older. Decompressing your spine and allowing healthy blood flow in those critical areas is very beneficial.

I hope that you're feeling better and you'll encounter no surgery and your riding days will continue.

Best regards,

Mike
varider likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
herniated disc are not prone to healing... I am afraid to say.

But if I were you I would try chiropractors, the suggested acupuncture, decompression positions, physical therapy...

...anything before the last resorts: surgery and drugs
Whoa! The drugs were the best part.
varider likes this.

06 Wing
Darkside #389
Kumho RF 195/55/16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page