GL1800Riders Forums banner

Is the salute obsolete

6K views 102 replies 65 participants last post by  Gizmo 
#1 ·
I must have waved to 20 riders today, only one waved back on a small Harley.

Is the o' salute when you pass a biker becoming obsolete?

#2 ·
Could be Noobies and do not know about the protocol.

#16 ·
When I'm on the Harley I don't wave at anyone on a GW, because they might be someone like you. When I'm on the GW, I don't wave at anyone because with my nose so far up in the air, I can't see anyone on a motorcycle. >:)

#7 ·
ME TOO, just ran to the cities and very few acknowledged me with a wave. It was cold though, oh, and a little wet. I've noticed that 'ape-hanger's' never wave. Can't? Squibs don't know what it means, ADVriders are pissed they are on pavement, sport touring riders haven't slept in a week, or stopped for gas and food. All the reasons I tell myself why they wouldn't say 'Hi-glad your out riding-have fun', with a little wave.

#40 ·
I've ridden sport touring bikes for years. Age and health issues put paid to that. I would wave but rarely got one back. Especially H-D riders. Now, my screaming yellow 'Wing gets waves from most other riders. I guess it's just more visible than most bikes. Cagers still don't see it though.

#9 ·
I was going to put together a little matrix of the "generally experienced" wave protocols based on what I'm riding, and what THEY are riding.....

Maybe I'll get working on it.

Reactions: Winger24
#11 ·
I don't wave much on the Interstate. Other riders are too far away and I dont see them as they arent in my line of sight.

On smaller roads, I get a return wave about half the time on average but probably only about 20% or less if they are on a HD or BMW. (I assume HD riders don't wave because I'm not on a real motorcycle and BMW riders don't wave because they don't see the pragmatic / economic value in being friendly to a stranger)

Reactions: Dave.David969
#12 ·
Whats funny is that, even while riding the wing, I usually only get waved about 25% of the time from another wing rider.

#64 ·
I give a salute to mc's no matter what make. I have noticed that a lot of riders wave and wave back when I'm on the HD. However some will not wave or return a wave when I'm on the wing? I am going to continue to salute no matter the bike.
Bill
Same here. Goldwing gets fewer waves back than any of my other bikes. I can understand when I'm on the Harley, but even the Wee-Strom getting more waves??

#35 ·
Thats funny, I'm getting the opposite responce. I'd guess maybe 90% HD riders wave to me and I'll wave back. Hardly any Goldwing riders will wave or return the favor. Sport bikers are maybe 50/50. Mostly wave back as being polite. I'm easy to please and doesn't matter to me either way. Although there are those riders that dont take there hands off there bars and kind of wiggle a finger at me. Usually cant tell until I'm past them and they thing I'm a snobby Goldwing rider. Sorry fellas just couldn't see that from far away.:wink2:

#21 ·
I usually give a wave out of city limits. I don't wave to Harleys or BMW's, kind of given up on that and sick of being dished, its all good. I nearly fell off my Wing when 2 HD's approached the other day. The 2nd rider waved so much I thought he was in danger of falling off. I acknowledged and gave a wave. I'm thinking what's up, dammed unusual.... a vehicle collision in the twisties ahead or something on the road?? So I cruised on keeping well with the available sight horizons. Well what do you know, I saw a Highway Patrol ( NZ Police Radar Jockeys ) parked up on the side of the road. As they say Downunder Onya Mate.

#22 ·
I always wave, get a friendly return wave 90% of the time. Most of the non wavers are the unfriendly HD guys who are indoctrinated to hate anything else. However I find the majority of HD guys will gladly return the salute.

Reactions: carsong85
#23 ·
I get tired of waving , I wanna ride with both hands on the bars in case something happens . I will wave though if waved to . But I stopped waving to very bike I see years ago. To me it's just another distraction on a very long list of things that could kill me .

#24 ·
Personally I like to wave and usually do unless I am in a place where there are lots of motorcycles like Deals Gap, Maggie Valley etc. From what I gather there its just a given that you would wear yourself out if you waved at everyone. I reciprocate though in those kind of places if I am waved too however. I think it is great when riders show their enthusiasm. I sure am feeling good when I am out there!

Reactions: gulfrider
#25 ·
I usually wave BUT if I don't get one back, I just figure that the Harley boys are just holding on to their bike tight in fear of falling off!

Ronnie

#27 ·
During my usual riding in the north Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina mountains waves are usually returned about 95% of the time. Riding in and around Atlanta metro area the wave return rate is much lower.

Riders with ape-hanger handlebars CAN'T wave back. The blood has drained out of their hands and arms miles ago and their arms no longer respond to electrical impulses from their brains! :laugh:

#30 ·
These are oldies but goodies. :grin2::grin2::doorag:

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don’t Wave

10. Wasn’t sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn’t find the “auto wave back” button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don’t Wave

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner’s manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can’t tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They’re too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don’t Wave

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they’re supposed to.
9. They’re going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren’t wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they’ll rip it out of the socket.
6. They’re too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don’t want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It’s too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don’t Wave

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered “bad form.”
8. Your bike isn’t weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock “comfort” seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He’s an Iron Butt rider and you’re not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You’re not riding the “right kind” of BMW.
2. You haven’t been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture

#28 ·
Rode about 1600 miles last week from here to Houston and back....probably about 85% waved back....rode the "Three Twisted Sisters" on my way over there, hundreds of bikes, and almost all waved (except in the corners when hands needed to stay on handlebars)....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.