• 1 Post By mpendleton
  • 2 Post By Bluehighways
  • 2 Post By Red
  • 1 Post By Sparky57

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Crosswind Question

I know there are a few members on here who have both the GL1800 and the Ultra Classic(Ultra Limited,etc.); or have owned both bikes in a relatively short time span so I'd like to get their input.

How do the two bikes compare when it comes to handling strong crosswinds; both steady crosswinds and sudden crosswinds. The fixed fairing vs. the bat-wing?

Thanks in advance.

Ride Safe and Have Fun !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Some may say there's a difference, but crosswinds effect both bikes about the same to me. I hate riding a bike leaned over 30-40 degrees for miles on end, but when on a trip within a certain time frame, there is no choice but to ride, plus the riding season here is too short to not ride when you can.
BIGBIKE likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBIKE View Post
I know there are a few members on here who have both the GL1800 and the Ultra Classic(Ultra Limited,etc.); or have owned both bikes in a relatively short time span so I'd like to get their input.

How do the two bikes compare when it comes to handling strong crosswinds; both steady crosswinds and sudden crosswinds. The fixed fairing vs. the bat-wing?

Thanks in advance.

I have owned both, the Harley was effected more by cross winds than the Wing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BIGBIKE likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I own both (see signature). Curiously the Harley does better in cross winds than the Goldwing. Apparently it's not the Frame vs Front Fork mounting of the Fairing that makes the difference. It seems that the side profile of the Goldwing presents a very large and impenetrable surface area when compared to the Harley. What got my attention was getting hit with a cross wind gust on the Goldwing, that in a fraction of a second moved me sideways a good ten feet while traveling at roughly 70 MPH! That it got my attention, would be an understatement. Now it was a pretty heavy gust. Santa Ana wind conditions are a phenomenon here in California. They can generate some extremely heavy winds which often approach, and sometimes exceed hurricane strength. But still . . . I haven't had anything like the experiences I've had on the Goldwing on the Harley. They're both manageable; but you definitely need to be aware of the Goldwings vulnerability in seriously heavy crosswinds. If the big trucks are being challenged, you will be as well!
BIGBIKE and carolinarider10 like this.

Current Bikes:
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Red
Chard Member

To me the Harley's with the Batwing have been more stable. The Wing is like riding a sheet of plywood down the road. No place for the wind to go so it pushes you.

I wouldn't buy one or sell one for that reason!
BIGBIKE and Rusty360 like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:23 AM
Seasoned Member

I have never ridden a Harley on the freeway with strong crosswinds, but..... It is really impossible to make direct comparisons, because you can't recreate wind gusts that are the same in different comparisons. Whatever you think is happening is just perception.

The Harley tourers vs the Wing have about the same sized amount of side surfaces, and weigh about the same, so they should be about equal in that regard. The Wing might be a little more. If anything, the Wing's lower center of gravity should make up for any difference in size of surfaces.

From the front, the Wing has a distinct disadvantage in steady headwinds due to the size of the fairing and windshield. But in gusts, the Wing will be more stable due to its fixed fairing. Regardless of claims otherwise, the whole reason for manufacturers switching to frame mounted fairings is because it is a well known fact that fork mounted fairings are vastly inferior, and highly susceptible to steering instability when riding through gusty winds.

The bottom line is that, if cutting through strong winds from either the front or the side is a major concern, then neither bike would be a good choice.
mpendleton likes this.

Last edited by Sparky57; 06-18-2017 at 07:27 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Red
Chard Member

deleted.....

Last edited by Red; 06-18-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page