Rear Ended - GL1800Riders
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Rear Ended

On Legion Fund Run today and not sure what this inexperienced woman Harley rider was thinking. I was told she hit the throttle instead of brake. Not sure how you do that on a bike, but she really walloped me good. She had no business being in the middle of 40 bikes and doesn't know how to ride.

I was the 10th bike in the line to pull out in staggered formation and a STOP sign coming up in a few hundred feet and WAM i got hit in the right rear and shoved me forward. She hit panel between the black center piece and saddle bag and needs new one. The right muffler is scratched and took the hit. No exhaust leak but not sure how the muffler is attached and if any damage further up the line. Will try and get estimate ASAP. State Farm agents secretary that is both our insurance was riding her own Harley so that is good and was there to see what happened.
The gal that hit me glanced off my bike and hit another but just left paint on his crashbar. The people behind said she really hit me hard and was surprised i didn't go down.. Yep, she hit me hard and she went down. All i saw in my mirror was the bottom of her bike laying crossways in the road and thought it was on top of her. It wasn't and no visible injuries to her, but she was really shook up.

Knocked my Garmin GPS off and cracked the screen so i need to get it fixed too.

Like they say "Could have been worse".

Can i say this on here?
I was planning on making the Nassir 10-July 11-13, but can't make reservations for anything at this point. BIKE is not the problem as far as i know.
Mud volleyball that i help run on Sunday July 9th and was hoping to leave early Monday July 10th if i can get out of bed. I play and help keep score when not playing and clean up stuff afterwards. Long day for this old man.

2012 GL1800- 11,700 mi.
78-750 Honda
67 Suzuki X6 Hustler

Bridgestone G851 Excedra ZR- 2100 miles so far
Pirelli Snow Control III-R/F- 4200 miles so far
with 32-36psi cold depending on where i am riding that day
Pirelli Centurato P1-87V,R/F- on trial @36psi-400mi so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Glad to hear it wasn't any worse.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1K x2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified 50CC,BB1500 Pending
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:40 AM
Seasoned Member

DAM THEM HARLEY RIDERS ! THATS WHAT TOOK ME OUT ! AS STATED GLAD YOUR OK. MUFFLER ATTACHES TO BAG FRAME WITH 1 BOLT AND THEN CLAMPS ONTO THE HEADER PIPE. MAKE SURE HEADER ISNT CRACKED / BENT. OLE WING PUT TOGETHER PRETTY GOOD. SUBFRAME IS JUST ALUMINUM TUBING . ADJUSTER/ SHOP SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHECK. INSURANCE SHOULD PAY FOR GPS AND WHAT EVER ELSE GOT TRASHED.
Kiwi likes this.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Sorry to hear this. Uncle John is correct regarding insurance paying for whatever is damaged. After my accident, it took me a while to settle, but they finally ponied up and paid for a lot of my add-ons that were damaged. At least the gal that hit you has insurance. I wasn't so lucky so it wound up going to my insurance to settle. Glad you weren't hurt and didn't go down. Hope you get it all taken care of quickly!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is too short not to ride as often as you can!! Enjoy the scenery along the ride.

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium (totaled 5/2017)
2007 GL1800 Nebulous Black

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Glad you are OK...

John
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Seasoned Member

This is exactly why I will never ever ride in these events. Call it generalizing if you want but too many of these shiny cruiser riders don't know what they're doing and they are a danger to be around. Every time I've been near one of these, they love to rev the crap out of them to make the most noise possible and then they all run up on each other at stop signs if they even stop at all. Last week I was riding to a show and there was a cruiser guy in front of me and he couldn't negotiate a curve at half the posted speed. I said half, not double the posted speed. When we got there I asked him how long he'd been riding and had that bike and he proudly stated 3 years.

Darkside #69

Ironbutt #8045

A lot of my money has gone towards riding curvy roads with friends. The rest I just wasted.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

These situations are often part of the ride leaders' lack of knowledge of how to organize a ride. First, the ride leaders should speak to each rider and ascertain their skillset level. Sometimes that grizzled looking biker is a newbie that wobbles and duck walks his bike. Second, newbies need to be up front, so that the leader can see if he is out stripping them because they have problems in curves. And finally, one needs a tailgunner that is sharp enough, and aggressive enough, to spot problems before they put someone down. A good tailgunner will race forward and get in front of a person that is hitting his brakes in a curve, forcing his bike up, and crossing into oncoming lanes, to slow him down and get him moved up front.
CAWing likes this.

DOC
The Biased Internet Reporter
HOST: The MLF
Host: CCW
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Too many of then have never ridden in group rides. I had the same experience with one on a Sportster. I was behind her and she was all over the road, and kept looking in her mirrors at the bikes behind her. Had nothing to do with being a female though. Just not enough time with on the bike and in a big group. She had only been riding for six weeks.
This was A Shriner's ride during the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, and we did the same loop as the sports cars were going to run. Seems she missed one of the turns on the route and hit a stone wall and went over the hill. One of the people behind her said she just couldn't negotiate the turn and swerved right into the wall. Luckily she wasn't badly hurt.
Can't say that for the bike. Front wheel resting against the engine.

2012 Pearl White GL1800
AMA Life Member
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

I don't do group rides. A few years ago, one guy ran into 3 bikes taking them all down, he had bad brakes, shouldn't have even been there on that aspect alone. On another ride, guys stopped for a stop sign, newbie rider tried to stop without putting his feet down, of course he fell over and since he was so close to another rider, took him down also. I will only ride with a couple of folks I know very well, they all know that I like my space.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Rider safety course!! At our annual motorcycle show here in Grand Forks, I sometimes sit with the MSF guys in their booth. I can not believe how many people come up to the booth and ask about the course for their sons, daughters or wives and when it is mentioned 'What about you?' Oh, I have been riding for x years and don't need it. Then, later in the day, you are outside and happen to see the same guy try and ride off on his bike in a crowded parking lot. Would make a good 'funniest home video' most of the time if it was not so sad looking to see a adult dragging his feet for a half a block at 10 mph. I was parked in a group one day with bikes packed so close I could barely get on mine 1500 Wing. I hopped on, backed out (using reverse) and then just drove out nice and easy. When I returned a few minutes later some of the same guys were still out there watching me park. They came over and wanted to know how I could ride that big heavy bike so smooth and easy. Parking Lot practice and lots of it! was my answer. Told them to go see Jim and the MSF booth and he would arrange for that. What a crowd there later.
BC Don likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page