Surviving Texas heat - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Surviving Texas heat

Hopefully this isn't a dual post, managed to lose my browser window the first time.

The companies who have or are trying to produce Peltier devices for motorcycles are great folks, but Peltier devices will only pump up so much differential heat.

There are 12 volt brushless DC refrigerator compressors that will fit in a politician's hand with plenty of room left for him to keep picking your pocket.

An article I saw somewhere (here, maybe) from the Iron Butt Association made it sound like shedding 140 watts of heat was the trick, either through sweat or technology.

Rigid HVAC sells a skeletal cooling unit for $430. Specs aren't on that page but the current draw is probably 5 amps or less. My guess would be less, and at that only when the compressor is running.

Engel makes a back seat sized 12 volt freezer that draws 3 amps in high gear, .7 amps in low speed mode, and of course zero amps for probably 40 minutes out of every typical hour, at least when used as a conventional refrigerator/freezer.

Imagine loading that Engel unit up with some kind of thermal ballast. Blue ice, water bottles, milk (never beer, of course - Mother wouldn't like that) and a heat exchanger to a water reservoir. Tubes leading out through the flip-open lid to a pump and a bunch of tubing in the rider's vest would do the rest.

I could be wrong, but I think that would take the edge off a hot summer ride.

$650 to find out is a steep gamble, but on the other hand the ice chest is high quality. I'd rather spend $650 on an active micro refrigerator than $300 on a physically larger Yeti ice chest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

I survive by parking it July thru August, I figure that's why they put ac in cars.
varider, TrapDog and dhobbs74 like this.

----------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Audio comfort
2011 Vulcan Vaquero sold
2009 Vulcan 900LT sold

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Early morning and late evening rides work for us in the Houston area.

Randy Rainwater
'09 Columbia Blue Metallic
'02 Hot Rod Yellow - Motortrike kit '14

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Member

There will very likely be a few vendors at wingding selling some interesting cooling devices .

Heat is rarely a problem for me unless the humidity is pretty high then it really bothers me, seems like the older I get the more it bothers .

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Engel makes a back seat sized 12 volt freezer that draws 3 amps in high gear, .7 amps in low speed mode, and of course zero amps for probably 40 minutes out of every typical hour, at least when used as a conventional refrigerator/freezer.

Imagine loading that Engel unit up with some kind of thermal ballast. Blue ice, water bottles, milk (never beer, of course - Mother wouldn't like that) and a heat exchanger to a water reservoir. Tubes leading out through the flip-open lid to a pump and a bunch of tubing in the rider's vest would do the rest.

I could be wrong, but I think that would take the edge off a hot summer ride.

$650 to find out is a steep gamble, but on the other hand the ice chest is high quality. I'd rather spend $650 on an active micro refrigerator than $300 on a physically larger Yeti ice chest.
I usually just cut the toes out of an old pair of tube socks and slip them on my arms. Then wet 'em down with the garden hose. Of course, your idea would probably work too.

2016 Goldwing (Candy Orange)
2009 Goldwing (Black Cherry) - FOR SALE
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Best solution IMHO is to simply avoid Texas altogether in the summertime!
MichaelB likes this.

Current Bikes:
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Seasoned Member

For a recent trip through South Carolina I picked up one of those Techniche Hyperkewl evaporative cooling vests and wore it under my Tourmaster vented riding coat and it did quite well. Needed to be re-wetted about every 1.5 hours but it did the job.

Steve
2010 Audio/Comfort
Piggybacker XL Trailer
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Member

My last trip across Texas in May, I just wet dowwn the LCComfort shirt and rode on, 100 degrees in San Antonio. YMMV

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Blue Highway][SIZE=2]

2010 Level 3 DDS#1146 IBA#55800 SS1K x2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified 50CC,BB1500 Pending
Disclaimer:This poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.
[/COLOR]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

I live in Northern Australia where in summer it gets too 50 Celcius, around 130 Degrees US
Where a T-shirt and when you stop soak it in water wring it out and out it back on
Between 11am and 2pm stay off the roads

Well i started out with nothing and I still got a whole lot left
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Member

http://www.veskimo.com/ a friend has one of these and swears he is cold while the rest of us are melting down

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page