High end riding suits: worth it? - GL1800Riders
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

High end riding suits: worth it?

For years I have read about Aerostich riding suits, such as their Roadcrafter series and wondered if it could possibly be worth $1,300 to buy a riding suit. Hoping members of this forum might include those who have bought this, or other high end suits and could comment on them. I know I should do more than wear t-shirts and jeans, but worry that these suits are not only very expensive but would be too hot to wear during much of the riding season here in the Midwest.

Retired U.S. Army and now FULLY retired!
Former Instructor with the MSF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Seasoned Member

I think it depends on how much riding you do, what climate you ride in and what type of riding you do. I had an Aerostich one piece suit for awhile.....wore it exactly once in cold weather. I felt very warm and secure in it and it was easy to put on and take off. However, living here in HOT Arizona, my opportunities to use it were limited. I had the lightweight version and over 75F it was just too hot. Once off, it was very bulky with the pads, so it took up and entire saddlebag and / or trunk. If you are on and off the bike often and don't want to wear the suit into whatever establishment you may be patronizing at the time, then it is off with the suit, roll it up, put it away, put it back on again, etc.......inconvenient in my opinion. If you ride longer distances in cooler weather with minimum off-the-bike time then I would say it's worth it. Just my .02.
jmdaniel and DaveK like this.

2012 HD CVO Ultra
2010 GL1800 Level 3

DS#1515
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Well you you asked thousands of people and you are going to get hundred's of answers, all over the board. IMO you need NOT listen to what they have and listen to WHY they have it. Then find out who has what that matches your same thoughts. Also find out the side effects if you can. Another thing that annoys me about the forums and internet is people often rave about something, then you shell out hundreds of dollars for it and find while there are some pros, there are also cons that where never mentioned. To them, the cons might be low priority, but the question is are those cons low priority to you.

With that....
If you ride all the time, daily commute etc, yes those can be worth it. The safety, protection, quality, etc should pay off in the long run when you putting them on an off day in, day out, morning and night. Yes they might get warm and there is more expensive gear you can get that will offset that. These also tend to be waterproof such that you dont get wet in a all day rain storm. If you want top-of-the-line gear that works and has the quality to match and you wallet can afford it, the answer is yes.

I like First Gear. About middle of the pack in price, really is waterproof and good quality. I get 5-6 years plus before the zippers start to act up, with daily on/off, morning/night use. They have held up quite well for less money. And waterproof. Some gear claims to be waterproof and some gear is waterproof. First Gear in my experience is the latter. ( And so will that expensive gear ).

I would say away from low price gear for constant use. I had a pair of TourMaster pants, that while had nice features, the zippers blew out in no time and were NOT waterproof. They didnt stand up to an 30min downpour much less some 400mi ride in the rain. TourMaster did replace them under warranty. They were good about that. But the second pair the zippers went out in no time. I just went back to another pair of First Gear. -- I think lower price gear might be alright for weekend use.

I also have 2 jackets, a full textile jacket and a mesh jacket. For here in the Pacific NorthWet, I tend to wear the textile about 7-8 months of the year, and the mesh maybe 4. For really hot weather the mesh alone is not the best. There are cons and a whole different thread. There are several fairly recent. For me in those conditions I add an evaporative cooling vest under the mesh jacket. It does not last as long as under the textile jacket, but works well to keep you cool you just have to recharge it more often. And since I am not in that big a hurry or riding the IBA the extra stops in the heat are ok by me.

And for me, All The Gear, All The Time means
Helmet, Jacket, Riding Pants ( jeans are not gear IMO ), Boots and Gloves
robeth, Barrycuda67 and Boodad like this.

2005 GL1800ABS 62,000mi
2003 ZG1000 134,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707

Last edited by Slybones; 06-19-2017 at 12:20 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
For years I have read about Aerostich riding suits, such as their Roadcrafter series and wondered if it could possibly be worth $1,300 to buy a riding suit. Hoping members of this forum might include those who have bought this, or other high end suits and could comment on them. I know I should do more than wear t-shirts and jeans, but worry that these suits are not only very expensive but would be too hot to wear during much of the riding season here in the Midwest.

How much is your skin worth to you? Get the best gear you can afford, usually the cheap stuff does not last very long.

Any GoreTex gear will be warmer than mesh but no need for rain gear. I got tired of stopping to place rain liners in my mesh gear so I started using GoreTex.

I have the Roadcrafter one piece and a Klim 2 piece, I like Klim better but both are really good.

If you damage your Aerostich suit, they can repair it (within reason) so you don't have to buy new.
Rapidray and Rail32 like this.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

NONE ARE WORTH A DIME ! OVERPRICED !! ................UNTIL YA HIT THE GROUND ! GROUND DONT CARE GENDER / SKILL LEVEL/ COLOR/ RACE / AGE ETC. WHEN YOUNGER (AND NEW IT ALL ) YA THINK IT WONT HAPPEN TO YOU AND IF IT DOES WONT BE SO BAD. JUST WENT THRU 30 MPH "FLY OFF" I'LL CALL IT. BIKE WENT RIGHT - I WENT STRAIGHT. HELMET TOOK BIG HIT ( NO DOUBT IN MY MIND WOULD'VE SPLIT MY HEAD OPEN ) HAD SOME BRUISING ON ELBOW BUT NO RASH . JACKET DID ITS JOB. HERE IN FLORIDA SUCKS IN SUMMER TO PUT A JACKET N HELMET ON IN THE HEAT !!!! BUT THE GROUND IS "HARDER" THAN THE HEAT/SWEAT. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CHOICE. AS STATED YOU USUALLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
Rail32 and Kenichi like this.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Tried Aerostich suits at one of their pop-up shops. Loved the quality. However, I'm hot-natured and was sweating bullets just by trying it. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the heat in it...unfortunately.

I'm using FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket for most of my rides. If temp goes over 85, I'll take my FirstGear mesh jacket. Kilimanjaro have several vents and I would usually ride with them open. Again, I rarely ride under 40 degrees so.....

The suits are great for a certain rides....

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I originally purchased brand new an Aerostich Darien 15 yrs or so ago. First long distance ride with it was to Honda Homecoming and I found out that the magic degree limit was 80. I also hated its collar as it was stiff and abrasive. They since have made the collar more comfortable. I sold it to a rider who lived in AZ of all places.

Two years ago I purchased a used Motoport suit for $550 that I found on advrider.com knowing that it was 2 sizes too big for the coat part. Upon receiving I found the pants fit comfortably, but sent the coat to Motoport for resizing. It took 2 resizings and now I have a comfortable safe suit that can be ridden in any temp used in conjunction with the appropriate under garments. I have about $725 invested in it.
robeth and Glockjock like this.

Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL
King-ding-a-ling

2014 black GL1800 Level 3

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
A Roadcrafter and a good heated jacket liner (pick your poison) is expensive but might be your peak of quality/value.

Compare that cost to the huge ensemble of 3-season (winter), 3-season (summer), mesh, and rain gear stuff you have to buy and lug along to even come close, get maybe only a smidgeon of better performance in a few very narrow ranges (basically, high 80s & humid, or warm & slow/stopped) and otherwise less comfort, convenience, and protection.

I have a Darien and AD1 pants as my go-to kit. If I were to do it again, I would get a Roadcrafter.

Note that the lite material is a bit of a misnomer. It is no cooler, rather it is a bit less stiff at first -- easier to break in, but less likely to survive a crash without damage to the garment (you're almost as safe in lite vs. reg).

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Member

I use the Aerostich Darien Jacket and Pants. Properly fitted, I have full crash protection, back, front and side ventilation, and 100% weather protection. In 90+ weather it is rather hot, but a **** of a lot more comfortable than road rash. Aerostich does make a Darien Light outfit which is a little cooler under extreme conditions, but like everything else, there is a tradeoff in level of protection. Its a matter of personal preference and how much risk you want to assume. The originator of the post asked if it is worth the money........it is in the event that you need that level of protection.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Licensed Tooth Torturer

One word: motoport.

The mesh Kevlar suit lets lots of air in while rolling. Worn with LD Comfort doorag and shirts makes for very comfortable hot-weather riding!

Worth every penny I paid for mine. Low sided last year at 50+ mph......only injury was broken right wrist when I tumbled. Suit is repairable, too, by the way.

Dress safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glockjock and jlbc212 like this.

Bob E.

It is like sport to a fool to do wrong, but wise conduct is pleasure to a man of understanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page