Low speed "flop"? - GL1800Riders
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Low speed "flop"?

I am still trying to get use to my 2003 ....it's great at highway speeds but in the parking lot doing my low speed maneuvers like U-turns the bike turns into itself and I have to really be on top of the handlebars to keep it from flopping over. I have already dropped it once a couple of months ago while doing a low speed U-turn. I have researched the forums and at this point I dont know if this is normal due the weight of the bike or is it me? Is it possible there is a problem in the tree area, bearings? I dont know enough about the bike to know what to look for. Ideally I would love to have an experienced GW rider do a few minutes with it to let me know...Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Brent, I have two Wings, a '76 and a '99.
Both of them did what you describe. The '76 did
it excessively!!
I changed the front tires on both bikes to Michellin
Commander II tires and the handling of both
bikes has become completely neutral.
Also, on the '99 I could not let go of the bars at
any speed. Changing to the Michellin cured that too.
I can now safely take my hands off of the bars
and the bike tracks straight.
There is no doubt in my mind that the front tires
of both bikes were causing that problem.
Just my two cents worth.

George, High in the hills of Jersey
'99 Goldwing SE
'76 Goldwing
'77 Honda Trail 90
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcenter View Post
Brent, I have two Wings, a '76 and a '99.
Both of them did what you describe. The '76 did
it excessively!!
I changed the front tires on both bikes to Michellin
Commander II tires and the handling of both
bikes has become completely neutral.
Also, on the '99 I could not let go of the bars at
any speed. Changing to the Michellin cured that too.
I can now safely take my hands off of the bars
and the bike tracks straight.
There is no doubt in my mind that the front tires
of both bikes were causing that problem.
Just my two cents worth.
Thanks for the info...I have the Bridgestone tire on the front from the previous owner. It is dated 2012 so I am going to be replacing it. Funny you mention tracking...I forgot to mention that if I let go of the bars at highway speed it always wants to steer right...on any road so I am sure it is not the crown of the road...what pressure do you run in the front tire..I am at 41 cold

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:24 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Since you have an early bike, if there hasn't been much or any servicing of the front forks there is likely to be a degree of wear in them so this will add so the difficulty of low speed handling. The GW does suffer from some flexing in the front end which hinders slow manoeuvring to some extent. If the forks are good, you'll likely find that a fork brace will provide a noticeable improvement. As a riding tip, be positive about your turns and don't take them too slowly. Apply throttle and use the clutch for speed control. Also, many of us find slow speed in second gear to be smoother than using first gear and, personally, I apply a fair amount of rear brake too which stabilises the bike.

Most bikes fall in as you instigate a turn and you do have to hold back the bars to prevent it being excessive. Left turns may be easier than right turns because your throttle hand tends to accelerate the bike in that direction, when right turning you'll need to deliberately crank your wrist back to keep pressure on the throttle, especially so on a tight, slow turn - applying power helps hold the bike up.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent2003gl1800 View Post
...what pressure do you run in the front tire..I am at 41 cold
Don't you have a sticker in the trunk which tells you it's 36 front and 41 rear no matter what the bike load?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW. View Post
Since you have an early bike, if there hasn't been much or any servicing of the front forks there is likely to be a degree of wear in them so this will add so the difficulty of low speed handling. The GW does suffer from some flexing in the front end which hinders slow manoeuvring to some extent. If the forks are good, you'll likely find that a fork brace will provide a noticeable improvement. As a riding tip, be positive about your turns and don't take them too slowly. Apply throttle and use the clutch for speed control. Also, many of us find slow speed in second gear to be smoother than using first gear and, personally, I apply a fair amount of rear brake too which stabilises the bike.

Most bikes fall in as you instigate a turn and you do have to hold back the bars to prevent it being excessive. Left turns may be easier than right turns because your throttle hand tends to accelerate the bike in that direction, when right turning you'll need to deliberately crank your wrist back to keep pressure on the throttle, especially so on a tight, slow turn - applying power helps hold the bike up.
The bike does have a fork brace installed so I am sure that is helping. I too like using 2nd gear but I use first gear when I have my wife on the back with the rear shock up at 25. I should schedule a maintenance check at the Honda dealer to see if there is an issue and if the recalls have been performed which I do not believe they have.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Don't you have a sticker in the trunk which tells you it's 36 front and 41 rear no matter what the bike load?
Nope ..no sticker...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent2003gl1800 View Post
Nope ..no sticker...
41 is good number.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I think if you take a poll you will find that there are more riders using 41 PSI in both front and rear than the "recommended" 36 front/41 rear. Most of us prefer the better handling then the softer ride you might get.

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery” Thomas Jefferson

Fate whispered to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm."
The warrior whispered back, "I am the storm."

Last edited by MrBaldwyn; 06-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBaldwyn View Post
I think if you take a poll you will find that there are more riders using 41 PSI in both front and rear than the "recommended" 36 front/41 rear. Most of us prefer the better handling then the softer ride you might get.
I'm running 41 in the front..have a CT on the rear...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page