Helibars with fork brace? - GL1800Riders
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Helibars with fork brace?

I've had Helibars installed on my 2013 Wing some times ago and, appart from being very adjustable, it helped in stiffening the front end in curves. The Helibars have a horizontal bar connecting both handlebars and I guess that did the trick. I was very pleasantly surprised by that.

My question is - do you think adding a fork brace will make it even better? I know that one of the first responses will be to do a Full Monty and I'm aware that would be the best option. However, financially that's not an option at this point. But I can handle a fork brace cost. A few years ago I've installed one on my Vstrom and it made a huge improvement in handling.

Another question - fork brace OR progressive fork springs? What would be better? A member of this forum was kind to let me have his progressive springs (thanks again! &#128512 but at the shop they are asking $400 to install them (claiming they have to rebuild the forks) and I'm still debating would it be worth it that money.

Your opinion and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, guys.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tisunac; 06-19-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Please say NO to chrome...
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I have both fork brace and Helibars. Fork brace came first and then Helibars. I bought the Helibars for comfort and I found it. For me, I did not discern any additional handling performance except the ability for me to configure my body relative to the 'Bars better giving an improvement in self confidence.
Ranch55 likes this.

Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL
King-ding-a-ling

2014 black GL1800 Level 3

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I have the HeliBars and a Traxxion fork brace. I also have Progressive cartridges. All these mods helped the bikes steering input but one other mod made a big improvement. Disabling the anti-dive REALLY made a difference. Now the wing goes exactly where it is pointed in slow or high speed operation.
bluestone likes this.

Semper Fi
2001 Goldwing
2013 Ninja 300
1996 Pacific Coast
1994 Honda Magna
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisunac View Post
I've had Helibars installed on my 2013 Wing some times ago and, appart from being very adjustable, it helped in stiffening the front end in curves. The Helibars have a horizontal bar connecting both handlebars and I guess that did the trick. I was very pleasantly surprised by that.

My question is - do you think adding a fork brace will make it even better? I know that one of the first responses will be to do a Full Monty and I'm aware that would be the best option. However, financially that's not an option at this point. But I can handle a fork brace cost. A few years ago I've installed one on my Vstrom and it made a huge improvement in handling.

Another question - fork brace OR progressive fork springs? What would be better? A member of this forum was kind to let me have his progressive springs (thanks again! ��) but at the shop they are asking $400 to install them (claiming they have to rebuild the forks) and I'm still debating would it be worth it that money.

Your opinion and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, guys.

I noticed very little change in the steering after installing a fork brace on the Wing. I then installed the Trax-rite triples and that made a huge difference. I removed the fork brace and did not notice the difference again.

I think you will notice significantly more difference by upgrading the springs and disabling the anti-dive than a fork brace. The older the bike is on OEM springs, the bigger the differnce you will notice.

Good luck!
2WheelNut and Vito like this.

--Rob
'10 Honda NT700V
'09 Honda GL18BM-Heli-MegaTE
'89 Honda CB1

Last edited by rmcapozzi; 06-20-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcapozzi View Post
I think you will notice significantly more difference by upgrading the springs and disabling the anti-dive than a fork brace.
Yep, ditto!
Then watch for used fork brace on classifieds
2WheelNut likes this.

Peace, Whiskey.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcapozzi View Post
I noticed very little change in the steering after installing anfork brace on the Wing. I then installed the Trax-rite triples and that made a huge difference. I removed the fork brace and did not notice the difference again.

I think you will notice significantly more difference by upgrading the springs and disabling the anti-dive than a fork brace. The older the bike is on OEM springs, the bigger the differnce you will notice.

Good luck!
I have Progressive springs (not cartridges) - would that still make that much of a difference? Also, while the shop is "rebuilding the forks", as they say (installing the Progressive springs) would they also automatically disable the anti-dive? Is that a must when you replace the springs?

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Forget the fork brace, get better (stiffer) springs, disable ADV and put in a billet lower tree and in that order is my advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
varider likes this.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I've installed helibars to eliminate the flex from the OEM bars. PMTs to improve the up and down and a fork brace to eliminate any flex in my forks. I love how my bike handles now. I ride in the rain when needed and feel the brace has helped stabilize my tracking on wet roads. Would I do it again? Absolutely!
bluestone likes this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bear View Post
I've installed helibars to eliminate the flex from the OEM bars. PMTs to improve the up and down and a fork brace to eliminate any flex in my forks. I love how my bike handles now. I ride in the rain when needed and feel the brace has helped stabilize my tracking on wet roads. Would I do it again? Absolutely!
What is PMT?...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page