To my fellow Virginia riders... - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

To my fellow Virginia riders...

Does anybody from Virginia have an aftermarket seat on their Wing? Or a modified OEM seat?

I'm interested in a better seat and would appreciate if you let me see your seat, and maybe sit on it.
Being 6'3" I would like a bit more knee space but wouldn't like to lose passenger's space. Occasionally, I can come across an used seat for sale but I have no idea how would it work for me and my wife.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm not in VA but close. I have a Russell Day Long you could try out.

2007 Goldwing level 2
Dark Metallic Red
Full Traxxion Suspension

DSI #183
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I'm not in VA but close. I have a Russell Day Long you could try out.
PM sent....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:05 PM

If you ever make it out to WV, you are welcome to try my RDL....it's my 4th one, btw. (I like 'em)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Dave View Post
If you ever make it out to WV, you are welcome to try my RDL....it's my 4th one, btw. (I like 'em)
PM sent...

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Contact this custom seat builder: Tom Simmons in Fayetteville, AR. He built a seat for a buddy of mine who is 6'5" and moved the passenger back 2" and changed her seat to accommodate her small stature. Been in business over forty years.

http://tscustomseats.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgoldwing View Post
Contact this custom seat builder: Tom Simmons in Fayetteville, AR. He built a seat for a buddy of mine who is 6'5" and moved the passenger back 2" and changed her seat to accommodate her small stature. Been in business over forty years.

http://tscustomseats.com/
Thanks for the info. I'm on my phone and it won't let me open his prices. Do you know the price of his mode?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dwatc
The Tom Simmons prices are around $1200 depending on what you get. I think that is pretty close to the major seat companies. I'm on my second Tom Simmons seat and would buy another one if and when I need to replace this one. The first one had about 80K on it and looked and rode like new the one I have now has about 40K on it and still like new. Only reason I changed seats was because I traded the other bike and couldn't swap the seats. Old one was an '09 and the new one a '13.

GWRRA #307515
'74 CB 360
'78 400 Hawk
'86 700 Magna
'07 VTX 1300R
'09 Silver ABS
'13 Silver Hannigan

'09 Escapade
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatc View Post
The Tom Simmons prices are around $1200 depending on what you get. I think that is pretty close to the major seat companies. I'm on my second Tom Simmons seat and would buy another one if and when I need to replace this one. The first one had about 80K on it and looked and rode like new the one I have now has about 40K on it and still like new. Only reason I changed seats was because I traded the other bike and couldn't swap the seats. Old one was an '09 and the new one a '13.
My "issue" is that I don't even know what to expect from an aftermarket seat. I've no experience with either one.
That's the reason for this post - before I spend money on one, I would really like to at least see one on the bike, maybe sit on one and see the difference.

Hopefully, somebody will be able to meet me in the area...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dwatc
All I can say is what I experienced with my Tom Simmons seats. I am lucky enough to live close enough that I can ride in and have him to the "fitting". He asks a lot of questions and in my case took several pictures and also had us sit on the bike like we would when riding. He then made the seat using my seat pan and the heating unit on the OEM seat. When he installed it I rode home on both in total comfort. Both the wife and I like the seat. The first seat I had made was for a two wheel bike and he lowered the seat about 1 1/2 inches and narrowed the front. I lost no comfort in riding. On the second seat he actually moved me forward about some and the wife back some giving us something like 3 total inches between us. Both initial rides were approximately 350 miles with fuel stops only.

GWRRA #307515
'74 CB 360
'78 400 Hawk
'86 700 Magna
'07 VTX 1300R
'09 Silver ABS
'13 Silver Hannigan

'09 Escapade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page