GL1800Riders Forums banner

Do you check your oil level?

4K views 58 replies 51 participants last post by  PastoT 
#1 ·
I've got about 7,500 miles on my 1 year old Goldwing, and had the oil changed at 4,000. The owner's manual says the next change is due at 12,000 miles, and in the interim, I have not even tried to check the oil level. I have yet to figure out how to get the plastic removed and put back, so right now I can't even get to where it would be checked. I see and smell no indication of oil burning or leaking, so I don't plan to worry about it. I wondered how many folks regularly check the oil level and if you ever had to add oil in between oil changes.

#3 ·
It just pulls off, pull from the bottom and dip stick is there. Push it back on you do it a couple of times and it's nothing to it. Yes check is sometimes.

#6 ·
I used to waste my time checking the oil as it isn't hard to do. However, after doing it on 3 1800s & never seeing a change in the 5000 mile intervals I run, I just gave up wasting my time. I check it before I change it & it looks very near **** it did when I put it in. It seems with these tight spec engines made lately that oil burning is a thing of the past. :wink2:

#8 ·
I've checked in the past after long trips and never found it to be low. I'll also check it when I'm getting ready to do an oil change just to see what's what with the same result, never low. Certainly no harm in checking it especially if the warranty is still valid.

#12 ·
You are far more likely to err in how you check it than to find an actual problem in oil level. Make sure you always check it exactly the same way. READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL AND FOLLOW EVERY INSTRUCTION TO THE LETTER ... otherwise you'll get erroneous readings and scare yourself. :)

#17 ·
#20 ·
#22 ·
Yes, I check my oil level even though I have never had to add a drop.
I also check my tires with a gauge even though I have a TPMS that displays the pressures.

I guess I could assume that everything is good and just ride, but doesn't take that much time and besides, you know what they say about Assuming.

#28 ·
No in normal riding conditions for me its in the 100kph to 120 kph range but like WBGuy said high speed hot weather riding pulling a trailer ect your better of checking it frequently in these conditions I say this because when I did a outback trip awhile ago in hot weather nearly 40C pulling a trailer and cruising at over 140kph my wing was down about 500ml to 600ml when I changed the oil that is the only time it has used oil :thumbup:

#30 ·
When I am doing an oil change, before pulling the drain plug I remove the dipstick to let air in so the oil runs out faster, smoother. Since I have the dipstick in my hand at that time, I try to remember to check it then.

#31 ·
I try to remember to check it then.
CRS kicked in lately Hoss?? >:) Don't feel bad. I don't remember the last time I checked the oil on my truck either. :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.