Picking up a BMW 1200 LT tonight - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Jon
Seasoned Member

Picking up a BMW 1200 LT tonight

Okay, so it's not to keep...

As part of my "installing dealer" arrangement with www.twowheelradio.com, I've been trying to coordinate schedules with the guy who owns this bike to install an XM radio for him.

As a paramedic, he's on a 3-day rotation where he won't be leaving the firehouse, so I "agreed" to go pick up his bike, bring it home, do the installation and then return it for him tomorrow. WHAT SERVICE!!

Does anyone know how to disconnect the odometer so I can put it through its' paces?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 05:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Jon - didn't you see the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Rent that and you'll have the answer. Just don't kick the jack....

Now don't be coming back here and be a big BMW fan....but have fun.

hehe

DaleC
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Re: Picking up a BMW 1200 LT tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
As a paramedic, he's on a 3-day rotation where he won't be leaving the firehouse, so I "agreed" to go pick up his bike, bring it home, do the installation and then return it for him tomorrow. WHAT SERVICE!!
Pressure is on now.

Good luck hope the install goes smoooothly

It would take a while to run the miles off the bike like Ferris did! I think the reverse on the wing is about 2 mph??? Maybe the reverse on the beemer is faster than the wing. Pretty sure it's not faster in the forward gears though.

Dale C.
Blue '05 ABS

Click here for our MC trip photos
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Jon

Let me know how you like th LT as compared to yer Wing if ya don't mind.

Ride,Eat,Sleep,Repeat
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Jon
Seasoned Member

Re: Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron melton
Let me know how you like th LT as compared to yer Wing if ya don't mind.
OK, keep in mind that I've only got less than an hour on it on the long way home, but I was quite surprised at the differences that I noticed already:
  • The engine is no where near as responsive and it has considerably less low-end torque. I know that should've been pretty obvious before I even hit the key, but it was a big shock to me. I've been spoiled, I guess. Advantage: Honda

I was initially surprised at the amount of wind noise I was getting, even at 30-40 mph speeds. My Symax was whistling when I had the shield cracked open and that was a first. As I got up to some higher speeds, it was significant. Then I hit the electric windshield adjuster and it all went away Advantage: BMW

I like the handlebar controls better on the Wing - I needed to remove my left hand to adjust the radio volume or channel. Advantage: Honda

The Audio system - hands-down WAY BETTER on the BMW. The radio was displaying the frequency, call letters and the name of the programming or type of music on that particular channel. (I don't know if that was programmed by the owner, or if it's just a very smart radio) The channel "seek" function on the handlebar steps through all of the preset channels - much more functional, in my opinion. One thing that amazed me was that the automatic volume control really and noticably worked, and that was without helmet speakers, just the bike speakers. I had turned the radio up to compensate for the wind noise once I got comfortable with the bike and as I was coming to a stop made a note to myself that I should remember to turn it down a bit once I got stopped. No need, it turned down by itself to a very manageable level and it picked right back up again after the light. In addition, there is a cassette player hidden in the hump, as well the controls for the VOX intercom system, a selector for the CB/FRS transmit button and a slick little place for a Midland handheld CB radio as well. Advantage: BMW

I can't make a judgement on the seat with only a short time in the saddle, but the leg position is about the same (knees at an angle) and I didn't see anywhere to add or mount any highway pegs. My wife noticed that the back seat looked considerably smaller, had no lumbar support and there was no armrests at all.

Luggage: The side bags on the BMW are very small, and the right bag has a 6-disc CD changer taking up a large portion of it. I don't think that I could fit both of my flip-front Symax's in the trunk, but I'll try it later. My initial reaction is that the wing has much more cargo capacity. I did notice that the luggage rack on the BMW was rated for 22 lbs. Advantage: Honda

As I said, I don't have enough saddle time to fairly compare the two, but just off the cuff, I don't think I'd be trading straight across if I were to buy the K12 LT. There are some nice features (heated grips, seat, electric windshield, a functional audio system, heated clothing connectors) but I don't think they swing the balance towards the BMW. This bike has 5775 miles on it and the back brakes are noisy and pulse, feeling almost like a warped rotor. I may take a look at that tomorrow after I finish his radio installation.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 02:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Well, it doesn't sound like you'll be trading your Wing for a Light Truck in the near future, at any rate!

--
Lewis
Candy Red 03 ABS
07 FJR1300

My favorite accessory is GASOLINE!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 08:47 AM
I U Turn

Jon ,hows the low speed handling on the it?
Mick :yw1:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
01Yellow ABS,and a Unigo trailer ,2009 DN-01,won at the Ride For Kids,Everett WA,Please support the RIDE FOR KIDS
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Jon

I don`t think you mentioned, whether or not this was a 2004 model This would make a difference, performance wise, wouldn`t it ?

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Jon
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick
Jon ,hows the low speed handling on the it?
Mick :yw1:
Well, I didn't take it to the MSF course and do the cone weave, but it didn't feel too bad. Maybe that was because I had a pre-conceived notion that it has a much higher center of gravity? I had to do two tight manuevers last night: a low-speed U-turn on Hwy. 99 after I missed the driveway into Black Angus and again while negotiating the parking lot. Both times, the bike felt relatively manuverable and didn't give me any problems.

Quote:
I don`t think you mentioned, whether or not this was a 2004 model This would make a difference, performance wise, wouldn`t it ?
This model is a 2002, just like mine (but with 15,000 fewer miles).

I do like how the seat is split in two pieces and the front piece pivots up with no tools needed. (They have to have this to access the battery, fuses and the suspension pre-load manual-adjuster) The saddlebags have a very robust locking mechanism - no stuck doors or weak cable release assemblies here!

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Jon
Seasoned Member

The electrical system on this bike sucks. The fuse boxes aren't labeled, and in doing some research I found out the the wire coloring between bikes is not common either.

In addition, there is no "Acc" power terminal readily available, so adding accessories is slightly more difficult.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page