Rain grooves - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Are we there yet?
Rain grooves

What are rain grooves and where do you find them?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Seasoned Member
Rain Grooves are the grooves in the road to help channel the rainwater off the road. These are generally on the highways.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member
Rain grooves

Usually found on concrete roadways,Interstates & freeways. They are grooves imbedded in the road surface to dissapate water during heavy/moderate rains. Sometimes can go for a mile or more only to reappear again.
Depending on the tread patterern & size of the motorcycle tire,they can cause a front wheel shimmy,some more severe than others.
I've encountered them on Interstates in the West,Ca. is fond of them,& on I-81 & 70 ,WVA,I-64 around Charleston,NY & PA. in the East.
No big deal really,just relax your grip on the handel bars & you'll be O.K..
happy trails,
the hobo
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member
Here's a good picture of rain grooves in California, a lot of states have them;

On the straights they are not too bad, but, on curves they can throw you off. I almost landed under a semi once when I hit grooves on a turn with a 750 Honda.

Any tire with a solid center groove will tend to track these and feel squiggly, i.e. Bridgestone D250s;

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Seasoned Member
we've got rain groves out here in phx on the cement interstates in some places but the time that comes to mind is when my wife and i came off the golden gate bridge into the marin side and got hit by the high winds and deep rain groves it sure got our attention, at first it felt like flat tires glenn in phx
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member
Rain groves in NY are used primarily to accumulate water during the winter, which then freezes, creats large slabs of ice and keeps the collision/auto-body companies in business.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member
As Hiyo said..those tires can be scary!!!! Wiggle wiggle wiggle......When I ride my XL250 on the highway,,,the front end goes eveywhere but straight !!!!>> MY metzelers on the GW dont even notice the grooves........
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Member
J=Mac.......I spent 6 summers and 10 winters in Rochers (U of R)

Fond memories of Nicks...late at night

Hijack alert!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member
Up here in New England the things of concern are steel grated bridges and grooves in the asphalt like you've shown.

The only time we have the grooves are when they are preparing to repave. It helps to smooth out the base and give the new asphault a better grip.

It's worst than those pictures, though as you would think they were layed down by a drunken sailor. Can't draw a straight line. They often are not straigh or even.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member
Some of the grooves are not straight, even on a straight road. These are the ones that I find cause the greatest oscillation with a D250. The E3 tracks them fine. I believe that these grooves can greatly accelerate cupping. I had taken about a 750 mile trip with a very few twisties (maybe 100 miles) in the middle. I noticed no noise from cupping in that 100 miles. After a 320 mile run home on straight roads I had about 200 miles of rain grooves. By the time I got home the D250's were howling and cupped.

Don't claim to be scientific here and I wasn't looking for this, so I cannot be certain of when the cupping started, but I didn't notice it in the turns on smooth roads before I went home. Be that as it may, I hate riding on concrete roads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page