Helmet with Flip Down Inner Sun Visor - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Elderjay Send a message via Yahoo to Elderjay
Helmet with Flip Down Inner Sun Visor

My wife dropped my Caberg helmet on the concrete and cracked the shell. She is willing to replace it with one of similar price and I'm wondering if there is a better one out there with what I want.

I really like the inner sun visor cause you can leave the front visor up and still have protection over your eyes and sun protection with more air. The only complaint I have is they are fairly noisy. Who else makes the helmets with the flip down inner sun visor? I'm not going to spend more than $250 on a helmet.

Darksider #141
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Seasoned Member

I don`t know if you`re looking for a flip face, however, here`s one that is most likely more money than your Caberg.

http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/folder ... helmet_c2/

Roger

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Fire Eating Member

WOW -- I thought a Caberg helmet was a really good helmet.. but if it
cracked .. just dropping it.. I would hate to think if you were in a crash
would it protect your head..

cosmic

05 - CBC GL1800
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to oldguy
The Scorpion 1000 which is just now coming out has that feature

Pray for Obama- Psalm 109:8
Let his days be few; and another take his office.

2008 Pearl White DS #463
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

HJC is starting to come out with those flip down, on the inside,
sunshades. But not on the flip-front type.

Overseas, they offer a flip-front with the pull down sunshade. I don't
understand why we can't get it here?

Herb

Support our TroopERS.
2008 Victory Vision, Super Steel Gray
2006 Honda Reflex, Candy Blue, w/ Tow-Pac
2005 VN2000 Kawasaki, Black (2053cc)
2002 GL1800 Honda Goldwing w/ABS, Black
2002 Bushtec Turbo +2 Trailer, Black
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Member

I have a VOX that I really like when it cools off a little. I'll wear a 3/4 until it stays out of the 80s - get light headed when I overheat. The VOX has the flip-down sunvisor. It is only ~$99 including shipping from http://sterlingtek.com/voxfufaflupm.html.

Pros: great quality for the price, great features, solid construction with design innovations, replacement shields available from Sterlingtek at reasonable price, removable washable liner. Fairly good color and size (from XSM to XXL) choice - including a pink version for the ladies. Good vision to the sides, not too heavy. About the same noise level or a little better than most full face lids. I don't know why, but 3/4 is much quieter for me.

Cons: glue smell takes a while to dissipate, other parts (besides replacement shields) not available yet, Sterlingtek is the only US distributor. No storefront to try them on at (are there any to try on Cabergs?).

I wear a Medium in HJC 3/4 helmets and most others. I bought the Medium VOX and the top fits me great (better than my old Bell), but the cheek pads are a bit snug (not unbearable, but a bit noticeable). I hope that they will break in because replacements are not yet available. I had the same problem with a Lazer Century (now sold as AGV GTO) and was able to buy a set of Large cheek pads from AGV that snapped in and solved my problem on that lid. If someone else starts importing the VOX and includes parts for it, that would make it one of the best deals that you could imagine.

It is DOT and not SNELL rated (I know of no SNELL rated flips). Has added features like a snap on the strap to keep it from flapping (I found the strap way too long and cut it shorter, thus removing the snap). The vents move more air than I expected. Not a lot of air, but still I could notice the difference even on the GL1800 (stock windscreen in bottom position).

I bought it last month and only have about 300 miles on it so far since it is still rather warm here in Tennessee. Probably start wearing it full-time next month. I love the flip-down sunvisor when going into the sun. It should make the fall days with low sun angles much nicer for the commute.

Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
LIMNCS #632 DS#1085 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP #19
Swapping the Rear Wheel by Laying Her Down (youtube)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Check out the Schuberth

I have two Schuberth (German made I believe) that have the flip front helmet with the inside flip down sun shield that works independent of the clear visor. We love ours, sometimes going up the Big Thompson Canyon between Loveland and Estes Park at daybreak or dusk, we will flip them down or up 8 to 10 times as we go into mtn shadows and back into bright sunlight. Wouldn't have any other helmet after having these features and getting used to them. They have been dropped (darn) but it hasn't so far damaged anything. Bought mine at the BMW dealer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

You might want to check out the scorpion helmets that are just starting to be shipped. I have not seen it yet myself but my local dealer is expecting them any day and it is on my short list for now. http://tinyurl.com/32dtlt

Amos

Mad Amos Malone
IBA # 32650
LIMNCS #50
ASE Master, L1, ASME
NEW!! Now a Mechanical Instructor
for Nuclear power
'03 Candy Orange Built 10/02
Just keep on riding!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1nomad
HJC is starting to come out with those flip down, on the inside,
sunshades. But not on the flip-front type.

Overseas, they offer a flip-front with the pull down sunshade. I don't
understand why we can't get it here?

Herb
http://www.hjc-europe.com/hjc_eng/fsmax.php

I am trying to get one here also.

Trev.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough".
(Mario Andretti)

Silver 06 - since traded for 2013 F700GS BMW

Elite Camper Trailer - looking for a new home
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Seasoned Member

HJC has released the full face version with the internal sun visor in the states already. My first shipment should arrive by the end of this week. They are telling us that the modular version will be available to dealers in the U.S. late this fall or next spring.
Here's the full face version.
http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_fs10.htm

Caberg has decided not to certify their new model in the U.S. so Cabergs are no longer being sold in the U.S. If you want one, you'll have to find a dealer that has some left in stock. I have some full face Cabergs left and only one modular left.

VFW Life Member# 9445777

2001 Pearl Blue 1800
2008 Victory Vegas Jackpot Arlen Ness Edition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3256 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page