Modified Goldwing exhaust. - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bugsquawsher
Modified Goldwing exhaust.

I did it and ran it for a while. Sounded really Cool at Idle. I really like it under hard acceleration. But at cruising speed which is about 3000 t0 3300 for me, the drone was just not what I was looking for. So I made some parts to Plug the holes but are still removable. I have to admit, the silence is pretty Nice. Even though I come from riding Harleys.
But I still wouldn't rag anyone for wanting the sportier sounding exhaust. I'm just going to ride silent for a while. I must be gettin OLD.

05 30th Anniversary "The Dirty White Girl"

No Helmet wearing , Smoking, Drinking, Loud pipe, No Chrome, Radar Detector watching, Crush washer reusing Goldwing Rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Re: Modified Goldwing exhaust.

I had cobra lowboys on my last bike and even with the baffles in they were loud. At first, I loved the loud sound especially when I hit the throttle. After sitting in the saddle for a few hours my ears would buzz and I would be fatigued. Now the only sound I hear is the woosh of the wind and my Ipod (which I can silence at any time) and, I love it. No more fatigue after a long ride. But, then again, I am old.........LOL

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Good exhaust should only accent the sound of the engine, not make it sound obnoxious. Listen to the straight pipes on a boss hoss, all you hear is the natural beautiful sound of a well engineered V-8, it is music to the ears. A lot of pipes people put on v-twins do not accent the sound of a v-twin, it is like putting an ice pick in your ear, sounds like crap. Nice pipes on a v-twin make the twin sound like it should.

Mike

"Government is the only enterprise in the world which expands in size when its failures increase." Janice Rogers Brown
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Getting old beats the alternative

"Real" Big Dogs don't need to bark!

It's only an "Old Man's Bike" if you ride it like one.

IBA # 25105
1000 in 24 (Certified
1500 in 36 (Certified)
1500 in 24 (Certified)

Darksider # 37
Double Darkside (on the slab)
Bridgestone Bias-ply G701
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Yo Bug Guy,
I came from the same place ya came from, good place to leave and this is "the place to be". When I want to get that itch some I go borrow a buddy of mine's UC for a 30 minute spin and then remember why I do not ride those anymore period.

I ain't monkeyin' around with my Wing's exhaust for any reason, I love the fact I can ride as far as I want plus think while I'm doin' it and I'm cool because I'm comfortable, listenin' to my tunes and finally havin' the wife wantin' to ride almost as much as I do.

Redneck Dave
Retired Navy Chief havin' fun !!
Anti-Chromer #30 DarkSider #136
Conti ProContact SSR 195/55/16 32 PSI Lovin' it !!
04 TimeOut Camper Trailer
The Black Pirate has left us a message. Did you get it?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
I had cobra lowboys on my last bike and even with the baffles in they were loud. At first, I loved the loud sound especially when I hit the throttle. After sitting in the saddle for a few hours my ears would buzz and I would be fatigued. Now the only sound I hear is the woosh of the wind and my Ipod (which I can silence at any time) and, I love it. No more fatigue after a long ride. But, then again, I am old.........LOL
325 miles today, pulled into macs for rest. There was an 1800 with cobras with no baffles ready to leave. He put in the foam earplugs, started it up and left in a roar. If you want a Harley, buy one!

2006 Red ABS
"Traveling in a car is like watching a film...Riding a Goldwing is like starring in it."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bugsquawsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06winger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
325 miles today, pulled into macs for rest. There was an 1800 with cobras with no baffles ready to leave. He put in the foam earplugs, started it up and left in a roar. If you want a Harley, buy one!
Thats cool , Its his bike and he can do what he wants to it. I'm sure I would have liked the the sound. I bet it sounded bad ass. I wouldn't want to have to use Earplugs to ride though.

05 30th Anniversary "The Dirty White Girl"

No Helmet wearing , Smoking, Drinking, Loud pipe, No Chrome, Radar Detector watching, Crush washer reusing Goldwing Rider.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

"Silence is Golden!!"

KB9EE
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Seasoned Member

According to the neighborhood teens, mine sounds like a "Sewing Machine".

I feel great about it.....especially when I leave for work Sunday mornings at 6:30 am.

They agree with me on that.

Retired 12/19/2012. All Pension and No Tension !!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Stock is all that is needed

You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office
Less Is More Non Chrome Society #1'000'000
1985 Aspencade:
2003 Metallic Silver Goldwing:
2012 Level 4 Goldwing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2934 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page