Trunk repair - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Squating Member
Unhappy Trunk repair

OK, another post requested info about luggage racks, I gave my opinion...little that it is.

I installed a luggage rack myself ( first mistake) anyway the trunk cracked around the bolt holes...I need to repair this or replace the trunk...I would like to repair it, less cost.

So, what would be the best repair material, ABS plastic lid...what would I need to get ( hoping someone has done this) I know I'll need paint, sandpaper etc...I wondering about the ABS material.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member
Frank, when you find out what it is going to cost to paint the lid, you will faint

I have used ABS Cement found at Home Depot to fix small parts, it seems to work good. It is the black stuff in a small can with a swab in the plumbing area for ABS Pipe.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Seasoned Member
You might want to check out this site.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member
This is what I have used to fix my 1500 trunk and have used it in alot of other places its 2 part stuff 1 powder 1 part liqued
it worked for side panels to make new post to go in the grommets , even used it to fix the vaccum cleaner
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Notorious Rocket Scientist

KY, you might want to keep an eye out on E-Bay. I see trike removals and salvage parts for the Gold Wing there all the time. If you don't have an unusual color code and can afford to wait a bit, you might find an outer trunk lid that you can just pop right on.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member
If the cracks aren't to long you could put the risers on which have a larger base to cover them. Or you could get a stainless acorn nut , take the rack off and use the nut on top and a bolt through the bottom to close the holes. I seem to remember a post a while back about a bolt kit made by someone similar to what I am referring to but I can't find it now. The paint and labor will probably cost you more than a new lid. There are 3 or 4 Salvage yards in Tennessee if you want to find a used one.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Squating Member
Thanks all
If I can get the right material, I will fix and paint it myself...have some friends that are good with paint....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member
Friend of mine made the same mistake. He took the inner liner panel off the trunk lid and patched the outer layer from the inside with a fibreglass patch. He actually fibreglassed most of the interior of the outer trunk lid. He then reinstalled the rack with the washers and put in a spacer between the two layers of the trunk lid so the outer layer could not compress anymore. It ahd actually crcked when he overtightened the bolts and the two layers had compressed. Didn't have this problem with the gl 1500's as the trunk only had one thicker layer of material.

My buddy found both the cost of a new lid and the cost of color matching and painting the repaired one were too high. Fortunately unless you are actually looking for the cracks the washers hide them pretty well on his bike.

Good riding
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Seasoned Member
Give Road Trip Essentials a call. They will fix it and paint it.

(88 439-1484
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Seasoned Member
ABS Cement works very well if you prep the broken piece properly. First make sure there isn't a lot of grit in the cracks, if so blow it out with an air hose then use some PVC type Cleaner to prep the joint.

At this point you can either use fresh ABS Cement to fill the crack from the back side or try some with a little Cleaner in it to thin it down for better flow.

Depending on the length of the cracks you may be able to cover the painted side, which will have some paint damage and leak through of the ABS Cement, with one of those 1 1/4" diam chrome plated mounting washers made for spreding the load.

On the other hand if the cracks are rather long and you are lucky with some Clear Packing Tape you may be able to tape over the painted side before applying the fresh ABS Cement to the back side and flex the lid just enough to force some deep enough to fill the crack without oozing out on the painted side enough to damage the paint. Kinda tricky but it can be done sometimes with little or no black line in the paint.

In any case with ABS Cement allow a week or more for it to set up fully in a warm room. You can also add an extra layer or two to the back side for strength which will add to the time needed for it to harden properly.

If you are going to re-paint then don't worry too much about the ABS Cement seeping through from the back side to the painted side but try to keep it minimal to make the following Paint Prep easier.

Another method of repair is the Hotcha Repair Kit that was sold to repair the Vetter Fairings early on and is still available from various sources including Craig Vetter via;

I have used this kit on various ABS parts for the past 30+ years and it is the quickest way to repair parts or make attachments to ABS. However it is kinda expensive $$$$ which is why ABS Cement is the prefered method for those on a budget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page