How Many Miles From A Goldwing Engine? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member

I have an 08, I'm 55, it should be the last bike I'll ever own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Spalding View Post
If you want some actual documentation go here:
http://www.ncmotorcyclists.com/100,000+_club.htm
Good stuff! Thanks for the info Dean

Current rides.....
2009 Titanium Honda Goldwing Airbag
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2003 Silver Honda ST1300
2001 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2000 Red BMW R1100R
Time-Out Camper
DS #534
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Supporting Vendor

I used to think the GL1800 engine would last forever, but after trading in my 02 with 125K miles on it on a new 2009, I quickly realized how much power my bike had slowly lost over the years. Either that, or else the new bikes have more power, but my guess is that the compression on the 02 had slowly gone down hill, despite being very well maintained with fresh filters plugs and oil. The other very real possibility is that the cam chain had stretched beyond limits and needed to be replaced and the spark plug wires and coils needed to be replaced with fresh ones. But whatever the cause, the power increase on the 2009 was quite noticable. Not that the 2002 couldn't have easily gone another 100K miles or more without a major failure, but it certainly wasn't going to provide the same power it did when new. I also seemed to notice a LOT more pinging on the 02 at low rpms under heavy load, where the 09 has NONE. Makes me wonder if there was a lot of carbon build up on the pistons and heads of the old bike.

This was taken a couple years ago of Dick Meyer's bike (my hero). I have no idea how many miles it has on it now. If I remember right, he finally got a new Wing. Not sure what he did with the old one.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer
post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Just met Paul Duffy [great name!] down here at New Smyrna Beach. He used to ride for Honda for a living. Had over 600,000 on his 1500 with all original equipment. He now has on 02 with over 400,000...all original.
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
I used to think the GL1800 engine would last forever, but after trading in my 02 with 125K miles on it on a new 2009, I quickly realized how much power my bike had slowly lost over the years.
I know exactly what you mean...When I wash and wax the bike, finally scrub the rear wheel clean and Armor All the black plastic around the top shelter, mine runs better too. And when I change the oil? Holy Cow! I gotta hang on tight!

I can only imagine how fast a new motorcycle would be!

Seriously, It would have been nice to do a leak down test and compression test on the old engine before you traded it in...Just for grins...

Rob in Maine
IBA #540

Honda NC700Xd
Garmin 590LM
3gal Aux Fuel
Givi Panniers/Topbox
post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD_RIDER View Post
Seriously, It would have been nice to do a leak down test and compression test on the old engine before you traded it in...Just for grins...
If I had known the 09 was going to have so much more power, I probably would have done just that.

It may have simply been carbon build up, a stretched out cam chain, and tired old spark plug wires and coils.

Other folks I have talked to that have traded in high mileage bikes for new ones have told me they also noticed an increase in power on the new bike. I'm starting to wonder if Verdayne and Red don't have the right idea by trading in every couple of years.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer
post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Seasoned Member

I can't figure out why anyone would even think about putting more then 30K on a Wing before trading ?? (2K for a Harley) What you all don't seem to realize is we live in a "throw away" culture and that keeping a Bike beyond a year or two is the reason our economy is hurting. For heaven's sake, wise up and trade those Old hackers in. Or better yet, just ride them to the junk yard and get them out of circulation. They shoot horses don't they?

Charlie
2004 Black Gl1800
2007 Burgman 650
Unigo Trailer

When our memories outweigh our dreams, we have grown old.
Death is not the greatest loss in life.
The greatest loss is what dies within us while we live.
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking522 View Post
I can't figure out why anyone would even think about putting more then 30K on a Wing before trading ?? (2K for a Harley) What you all don't seem to realize is we live in a "throw away" culture and that keeping a Bike beyond a year or two is the reason our economy is hurting. For heaven's sake, wise up and trade those Old hackers in. Or better yet, just ride them to the junk yard and get them out of circulation. They shoot horses don't they?
Roadking, tell you what, I will throw mine away if you will buy me a new one .. You may live in a throw away culture, but I live in a keep it as long as possible culture. No Dinero !!

FWIW, I sold my Harley when it had 700 miles on it

Fred H,

I think mine has lost some power over time. It used to pull so hard that my belly button would touch my back bone, But now it only get to with in 3 inches of the back bone. Maybe in the 8 years I have owned it, I may have gotten more stomach strength.

I also would like to do a compression and leak down but am afraid to.

JMHO

post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Florida Moderator

Garage
Is the 01 and 09 engine identical or is it possible that Honda tweaked it over the years for better performance?

Prowler #4

2015 Level 2, 40th anniversary edition. DS#919

2015 Honda Pioneer 500 (Lil Red)
post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Seasoned Member

If you take care of it should last about 250 -300 you may have ato do a little work but not much , nothing like a comolete overhaul,
I know several who have 250K and they still run excellent
pretty good condidering the Harley NEWER engine is about a 70 K motor
the last one I took heads off (wing) and re-did them had 125K on it and compression check was excellent but the guy wanted a valve job and rinngs as he toured a lot, it was about 1 1/2 thousands out of round (just excellent) compared to Harleys I've done with 20K on them that were 6-9 thousands out of round on the jugs, the valves in the wing were excellent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Do it all now you may not be able to do it Later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page