GL1800Riders - View Single Post - Torque wrench question
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Pigeon Roost
Seasoned Member

Honda was probably worried that their dealership trained technician might be prone to grab a hulking wrench with a designed range far exceeding the target torque. Consider the technician will have a heavier wrench on hand due to the high spec at the right side that is too large for the lower reading. Most torque wrenches, even when in calibration, yield reliable results chiefly in the upper 60% to 90% of their range; or so I have been told. I am not sure of the 20" beam length spec, except that is about how long low middle range beam wrenches are, so again, it may be to keep that 17 year-old freckle faced kid from grabbing a wrench with a face reading "0 to 250" pound feet. The spec for the engine mount tension is even less and call for a tiny beam type wrench. I would follow the shop annual advice on this one. I have wondered if we can reliably adjust the preload on those bearings with the suspension spring and wheel/tire attached. Probably much better than riding wit loose or tight setting, we may never know as it would be a royal PIA to check just to see.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome