GL1800Riders Forums banner

Riding temperature

2K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  Rapidray 
#1 ·
What is the maximum temperature that you will ride?
What is the minimum temperature that you will ride?

I don't like to ride when the temperature drops below 32*. Not because it is too cold but because of ice. I will ride at a colder temperature but with extreme caution. I have ran interstate at temps in the mid 20s before and was comfortable with my heated gear.

I guess I would rather ride when it is cold than when it is hot. I use to avoid riding when the temps got into the mid 80s but after adding air wings and fairing deflectors I do OK until the mid 90s.

I know everyone is different. What is your thoughts? There is no right or wrong.

#2 ·
When I first started riding, my riding apparel for winter was scarce. I did bundle up the best I could, but at time looked like the little brother in the movie "A Christmas Story". I was able to purchase a winter riding suit and would ride as long as there was no ice or snow, my coldest was about 17 degrees. So that would have been my lowest temp I have ridden, currently I will still ride at temps hovering around 25 degrees. Biggest issue for me in cold riding is my fingers, the blood draws away to keep the core warm. When I rode my CB750F-SS, I would reach down and grab the engine with my gloves to warm the fingers a bit, but that is hard to to on the Wing. Heated grips really don't make that much of a difference. Haven't really discovered a max high temp, but around 105 degrees it does get a bit uncomfortable.

My prefered temp range is between 65-80 degrees!

#3 ·
I have not found a temp in South Louisiana that will stop me. Of course we don't exactly have harsh winters.Ridden 60 miles when 25 outside. Loved it with the one piece riding suit that is rain & wind proof. On the Wing no hot temp has stopped me either. 110 heat index is normal in July & August with the sultry humid heat in South LA. On my VTX1800 however come June she is parked unless riding in the evening or until fall. The vented motor simply throws too much HEAT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G
#4 ·
Lowest...40 now days.
I have nothing to prove riding in colder weather.
It is uncomfortable with all the clothes/gear and somewhat restrictive.
High temp..mid 90s only if I had a ride planned or something.
It is more uncomfortable than the cold to me.
I just can't seem to be able to get in a zone.
Although I wear a mesh jacket the heat just wears me out.
Ideally 60s to 80s is best for me.

Doug

#5 ·
My max observed range is 6 (short errand, not typical) to 108 (peak temp in a long haul >100).

I would prefer 50s and 60s to 80s and 90s.

I prefer mountain west dry 90s to east coast humid 80s.

Like Boomer, I'm hyper cautious in the ice on the road zone and will typically avoid the bike on those days.

On the warmer side of things, when it's humid 90s I might switch to car for commute (avoid drenching my work clothes in sweat when stopped in traffic) or a weekend trip with no good ride to it (just enjoy the A/C), but I'll happily sweat through the twisties and scenery if they're in play.

#6 ·
This mostly depends on where I am ... meaning at home in Arkansas or out somewhere on a trip.

At home, I can pretty much pick any day I want to ride. So when it gets below the mid 40's or starts moving into the 90s I stay home. Also, I avoid the rainy days. That is unless there is a ride planned with others, then those weather restrictions will be adjusted as needed.

I don't mind getting out when it is colder when the temps will be warming into the 50s. Also, during the summer I do a lot of early morning stuff in the mountains and get back home by noon before the heat and humidity gets too bad.

On a trip, one takes whatever is dealt for the day. However, there are still some restrictions for me. If I'm at a Ride In, and the rain is coming down in sheets, then I'm going to wait it out and try to find a little weather window to get out in.

I do not want to worry about ice on the road. So I will mostly avoid riding when it is below freezing. I'm also finding that at my age of maturity, I cannot handle the heat as well as I once did. When the temps start moving into the mid 90s my body starts revolting. Then my mind soon follows. :smile2:

Reactions: mhgoldwing
#7 ·
Ditto what Monk said. I ride for fun and pleasure these days so don't feel the need to push beyond uncomfortable/safe limits. If I am on a trip I will push the parameters until safety would be compromised then come up with plan B.

Reactions: Monk
#8 ·
17 degrees on low side in ohio when younger and 116 in Arizona couple years ago. ( but its a dry heat ) so not bad !!!:surprise::laugh::laugh:

#9 ·
I hate the cold with a passion. If I have to wear more than a jacket, I stay inside. If heated gear, grips, seats is needed, I'll watch tv. Rain, nope, unless I get caught out in it. Retirement lets me ride when I feel like it so I get in enough without the unpleasant parts. 60's and below, I'm inside. I haven't found a limit to how hot yet. 105 was good but not so much on the interstate. Back roads haven't gotten too hot yet.

#10 ·
Live in Missouri and ride except for snow/ice. Parked the pickup several years ago, my goldwing and super tenere are my only transportation. Have heated gear for cold weather, mostly waterproof for when it rains and one piece suit for temps above 90. With proper clothing cold or hot days are not a problem when riding.

#11 ·
I've ridden in 22°F but it wasn't very pleasant (no heated gear then). I try to stay above freezing, don't like frozen stuff on the road. On the other end I've ridden in 110°F, that wasn't very pleasant either. 60° to 90° is my preferred range.

#12 ·
My temps are similar to what others have said. 20's in winter and up to 110 in summer. I commute to my office almost daily and this week saw 30-32 a couple of days......I was the only bike of any kind on the road those mornings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 ·
My ride to work is 22 miles, the first 4 of which take me up over a 1250 foot super windy pass from sea level. I dumped my Kawi ZG1000 last year after hitting an ice patch. The cold doesn't bother me with heated gear, but here in Oregon the roads can be unpredictably treacherous and after that incident I won't ride unless it is above 40 and dry for at least the last 24 hours. At the other end I've ridden in greater than 105 for extended periods, and while it's not my favorite I'll do it if necessary. Baker Wind Wings make a fair difference for those days.

#16 ·
Well I've not yet got a sub-zero ride but at 5 degrees I learned my gear looses heat above 55 or 60mph. So 5 for a low temp but I routinely ride into the low teens when the roads are clear of ice. Living in a high desert and vacationing in the southwest I spend a lot of time in 100+, but the hottest was in Nevada at 125F when I actually burned the top of my feet wearing black boots! On the road we haven't much choice about temperature swings, its important to have means to handle both High and Low temps, on my last trip the temp went from 38F to 110F in 18 hours, I was very happy I packed gear for the change.

#17 ·
Ya. I'm getting too old to "like" riding in the cold if I don't have to. For me, though, salty roads are almost more of a concern than snow. Snow can be bad...but ice is the killer.

I've never ridden east of El Paso but I've yet to see an upper max. No Baker...or any other kind of wings for that matter. Well, except for the "Gold"wing.

#18 ·
The "comfort" zone for me is from 50*F up to 90*F. Will ride from about 33*F and higher, but not real happy about things unless/until it hits 40*F+ due to the chance of ice. I have ridden out of necessity in a snow storm. An experience I'd just as soon not repeat! Have ridden in 115*F. Not exactly "fun" but in the "dry" heat here in the southwest the evaporative vests work pretty well.

#19 ·
Boomer... temperature range for me is 45* to 100*

Here in Florida I still take along my Gerbings and have used them quite often.

I ride in Florida during winter because I don't want to ride when it is in the 20's in Ohio.

OH - BTW - Happy St. Patrick's Day

#20 ·
I did a 100 mile lap around the lake a few years ago when it was 4*. Funny, people go past you like "you're an idiot!" Only did it to see how nasty it might be. No heated gear. It WAS pretty nasty. Being from flat-earth Ohio, I haven't seen temps too hot yet.

#21 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Like I said I would rather ride when it is 30* than 90*. But everyone is different and there is no right answer.

Here are a couple pictures of my return trip from Florida a few years ago. It was raining and the temperatures were dropping fast. And I was trying to get home before it got worse. I had just came over Jellico Mountain and things got bad. Thank goodness it was clear on the mountain.

Attachments

#22 ·
Max for me is 113 in Vegas 2012
But since this is an Ohio thread I will not post my record cold ride .

All pix are below 32 degrees
2 are below 0 , but not even close to my record 150 mile ride for a cheeseburger .

#23 ·
A very wise and very good rider who went by the name of Trialsman ( miss riding with you Paul ) said there really isn't bad weather, there's only bad gear. I tend to agree. But yes, I do have to make decisions when there's snow on the ground. I am not saying I never will but I have not yet found a temp that was too hot to ride. Do a search if you're still using mesh on a hot day. There are better ways in extreme heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.