GL1800Riders Forums banner

2nd Gear Starts

4K views 63 replies 29 participants last post by  flat6bagger 
#1 ·
I had my Wing since November 2016 and I really didn't ride it much until March of this year. One thing I've noticed is that first gear seems very short (or low ratio) and you need to shift to second very quickly. I've started taking off in second gear occasinally when I'm in a flat area or a downhill grade. The torque of the big 1832 cc's can handle it without any problem and it really seems to smooth out the take off process.

My bike is a standard two wheel Wing and I'm not pulling a trailer, so I'm sure that the Honda engineer's planned for those things when they decided on the gear ratios. However, I'm curious if others are starting off in second on a regular basis.

#5 ·
One thing I've noticed is that first gear seems very short (or low ratio) and you need to shift to second very quickly.
At what rpm do you make your 1-2 shift?
I'm sure it's below 3000 rpm by the topic of your post.
If you drive your Goldwing like an old geezer driving an old silver Buick, you may as well start off in 3rd gear.
Try holding off upshifting to at least 3000 rpm. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

#11 ·
I'm not riding like an "old geezer" and I generally get to the around 3K rpm's, it's just that the take off in second and not making the quick shift seems to be much smoother to me. In this case I was riding two up with my wife and I was trying to make it as smooth as possible for her.

#22 ·
I start in second gear a lot as you said on level ground or downhill. I've had 7 GL1800's
and it never seemed to do any harm.
Never started in second when two up or pulling a trailer.
I weigh 180 lbs.
Unless you're putting 250K miles on all 7 of them, the fact that you've went through 7 wings is somewhat irrelevant at best or actually undermines your argument as a worst case scenario. Point being...if you put under 100K miles on them before you trade them off, you're probably never going to reap the consequences of any harm you are doing.

I'd put more credibility that it doesn't cause any harm from someone doing 250-300K miles or more on one Wing.

I think we all know that you have to slip the clutch more to take off in 2nd than you would in 1st. Maybe not a lot, but definitely more and so it does wear the clutch more. It may not really be an issue on this bike as clutch failures are rare, but it certainly does wear the clutch more than taking off in 1st.

Me...I use all the gears. I don't shift out of first until about 3K RPM or around 20 MPH. First only seems to be geared low if you think you need to shift at 2K.

#15 ·
2-up and/Or with my trailer on, 1st gear always. So, by habit, almost always start in 1st. However, if solo and trying my best to keep up with @MisterK or @stevegold I have to act like I'm in a drag race at every light! That is where I need to start off in 2nd.:wink2:

Reactions: MisterK
#28 ·
This was going to be my "add-on question". Glad to hear that I am not the only one that does this. I'm sure I've looked like a real twit when attempting some slow maneuvers in a parking lot. Going from no throttle to too much throttle in the middle of a very tight turn isn't too smooth, even with working the friction point as carefully as possible. 2nd makes it much smoother. I just need to remember.

#20 ·
The only guys that I have heard of here with clutch issues were doing "parade mode" or excessive amounts of continues parking lot maneuvers, living in the friction zone.

I think the Wing clutch is almost Bullet proof and will never wear out from a 2nd gear pull off here and there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Interesting conversation, always wondered about that second gear thing. If I'm starting out form a down hill, I'm doing second, otherwise from a dead stop, first gear. Like some of these posts, Mother Honda must have put that gear there for some reason.

Reactions: gulfrider
#27 ·
I normally start in 1st but then go to 3rd. The revs are up and makes a smoother shift. I sometimes I'll go straight to 5th. Who needs a 6th gear when 3 will do? Actually it just fun as **** to go thru all 5 with a lot of heat!

#29 ·
First Gear, control that clutch.

You should be able to start out in first gear and shift all the way up to fifth without your passenger noticing it. There should NEVER be any helmet bumping and you shouldn't feel the person on the back move and back and forth. IF you do then learn to shift!

One of the Parking Lot Practise sessions we ran was to start from a dead stop on a long curve (marked with cones), within the curve, shift up to 2nd, then back down to 1st and stop. With a passenger and focus on the passenger not moving back and forth. You learn to slip the clutch as you go in and out of the gears but it is MUCH more comfortable for your riding partner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.