GL1800Riders - View Single Post - XM Radio Info Questions
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 AM
dadztoy
Seasoned Member

Garage
Here's the "official" definitions... Basically what it means is a continuous "stream" of data in this case music, being downloaded to your device...

stream∑ing
ˈstrēmiNG/
Computing
noun
noun: streaming; plural noun: streamings
  1. 1.
    a method of transmitting or receiving data (especially video and audio material) over a computer network as a steady, continuous flow, allowing playback to proceed while subsequent data is being received.

You can stream music in a number of different ways... If you use your smart phone, you can stream from Pandora and the like, but of course you'll need access to a cell tower and it will chew up your data plan with the constant stream of music data throughout your ride...

You can stream music via a satellite service like Sirius XM which probably offers better overall coverage especially in remote areas... While this is probably a cheaper way to go, dealing with Sirius can be problematic with their automatic renewal program and lack of fluent English speaking service reps...

As far as what you need to subscribe to, that choice is up to you in terms of how much variety you want to listen to and ancillary services they offer like XM Nav Weather and XM Nav Traffic... If your device is capable of receiving and displaying these services, it may be something you want to have in addition to your music choices... Consult the Sirius XM web site to see the various plans... http://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopul...riptionOptions

Once you determine what you want to subscribe to, call them and give them your radio identification number (usually found in the radio system folder on the device) and they will set you up and start sending a stream to your device...

I would suggest if you subscribe that you pay via check rather than give them a credit card number... Easier to cancel this way and I personally do not like auto renewal programs of any type on my credit card... They do have a tendency to abuse your Credit Card if they have the number...

Just as an FYI, I do subscribe to the XM select plan (140 channels ) plus XM Nav Weather and XM Nav Traffic and I use my Garmin Zumo 665 for the device... Note that if you use a Garmin unit, your GSM antenna will be required in your auto if you want to listen there as well so make it easily removable if doing so...

Good Luck and enjoy!!

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - BT-45

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome