Maryville TN Area - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
Maryville TN Area

The wife and I both ride cycles and are looking at relocating someplace in TN in about 3 years, maybe less. I have relation in Cleveland TN and we did find some nice areas close to them but the area around Maryville looked real nice for motorcycle rides and Lake Tellico looked like a nice spot for the once and awhile day on the water.

We tend to do day or long weekend trips on bikes and it appeared that it would be a long time before you run out of locations to head for, with the Carolina's out your back door as well.

Age wise I will be 53 and the wife will be 51 so she will have to work a little but hopefully we would have plenty of riding time and much nicer weather than up north. Any input on the area form the TN people?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Seasoned Member
Maryville seems like a nice area, I ride through there sometimes and your right East TN is as close to motorcycle paradise as it gets, lots of great riding, I live 30 miles north of Ktown and the riding never gets old and then there's always the 2 or 3 trips a year we do on the Blue Ridge Parkway, only about 2 Hrs. away for me, and we rode all the way into December last year. Hope your move goes well and welcome to Tennessee.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member
You can't go wrong either way. Maryville area is more "pricy" than Cleveland and the choice of lakes is about the same (about 3 for each) Riding places, North Ga.,Ocoee, Blue Ridge Pky, Asheville all within day rides, Boone NC 348 miles from Cleveland thru Cherokee and the Pky. and last, the beach at Panama City FL is only 450 miles away (just a day ride) With some heated clothes you can ride ALL winter which is great NO BUGS!

Good Luck
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member
We visit that area a few times a year because we have friends that live there. One is a building contractor if you happen to need one!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Member
I have a place in outside of Madisonville. Not much there. Its actually closer to Maryville but traffic wise, better to go to Athens. Athens has all I will ever need.
I am 6 miles from the TN end of the Cherohla Parkway.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
We actually prefer to build so I may need to locate a builder. I say may as the relative in Cleveland will build for us even as far away as Maryville if he can survive the current economy. I know he is hoping for things to pick up with VW and Wacker moving to the area.

I like the sounds of nearly year around riding we sure are not likely to have that here in WI.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member
Grew up in Knoxville. Anywhere in the metro area would be nice. Maryville, Oak Ridge, Athens, Halls Cross Roads area.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Seasoned Member
Oakridge would be a great spot if you like riding atv/utv's. You have Coal Creek, Royal Blue and Sundquist. We will be at Coal Creek for Thanksgiving!!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member
We moved to Townsend Tn. from Okeechobee Fl. in April 08 and have never regretted it. Townsend is 15 miles east of Maryville and thats where we do our shopping,out to eat, medical needs entertainment and so on.
If you like country music, Maryville host the Foothills Fall Festival every Oct. with lots of top performers. There is always something going on. The people are the most freindly that you will find anywhere.
In the last 2 years we have ridden alot of miles over this country, East & West and don't think you can find any place better to ride.
If I can help anyway, just send me a pm.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
The feed back is great, we do ride and own a ATV as well as the Motorcycles and if there was use for them would like another ATV or UTV. I did ask my cousin about ATV use in TN but since he does not have one he did not know anything about them. Our kids are sort of grown up now so the new ATV we bought last winter is mainly used for plowing snow and hauling a little firewood around.

Townsend, Oakridge and other areas out of the big city, but still close by are appealing, we currently have 2 1/3 ac. with some woods and a year around creek on it and only 7 miles into the city, if we want.

We do love country music and I just learned about the fall festival as it was happening down there. It sounds like something to look forward to each year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page