Butterflies? - GL1800Riders
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Butterflies?

Anybody else sick of the butterfly infestation this year? They have come down and are camping out on my property as they seem to like to eat hackberry trees. We have a bunch of them. You can't really ride a motorcycle right now as it is like riding through a hailstorm of slime. We went over to the Raye Theater in Hondo Wednesday to see **** or High Water in my wife's SUV and had to stop half way there to clean butterfly goo off the windshield so we see again. That was less than 20 miles on a clean windshield before it needed cleaning. Had to clean it when we got into town and also clean the headlights off because we were coming home in the dark. Last time it was so bad was 2012... doesn't happen every year for some reason.

wiredgeorge
Mico TX 2008 GL1800 Champion Trike Conversion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Anybody else sick of the butterfly infestation this year? They have come down and are camping out on my property as they seem to like to eat hackberry trees. We have a bunch of them. You can't really ride a motorcycle right now as it is like riding through a hailstorm of slime. We went over to the Raye Theater in Hondo Wednesday to see **** or High Water in my wife's SUV and had to stop half way there to clean butterfly goo off the windshield so we see again. That was less than 20 miles on a clean windshield before it needed cleaning. Had to clean it when we got into town and also clean the headlights off because we were coming home in the dark. Last time it was so bad was 2012... doesn't happen every year for some reason.
yuck! Sounds like our "love bugs" in Florida. They even smell disgusting! "Love bug" guts will eat up your paint. Do butterfly guts do the same?

G.Carson

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Migration.

“This year the American snout butterflies are making their way down to the Rio Grande River area in mass numbers,” Keck said. “Each year, these guys make their migration, but their numbers are directly correlated with rainfall and moisture.”

Rain fell at the right times this year to help the population. The rain increases the leaves on their host plant, the spiny hackberry.

American snout butterflies get their name from elongated mouthparts. They are small- to medium-size butterflies (much smaller than a monarch, also a bit smaller than a painted lady) and have orange and brown markings.

They blend in on bark and when flying can appear to be a leaf fluttering in the wind.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
We are lucky, we have mosquitoes by the ton and apparently the ate all our butterflies.

"Take the right turn"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplay View Post
We are lucky, we have mosquitoes by the ton and apparently the ate all our butterflies.

You can keep the Must-Quit-Ow's - we have enough of them already. I'll take the flutterbies - at least they don't bite.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

If you rode through the cloud of snout nose buggers you might want the skeeters which don't bite that much if you are moving. We got em too since it has been rainy more than usual.

wiredgeorge

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Does it have to do your by a lake? When do these go away? Was planning a trip in a couple of weeks to be just NW of you and may want to postpone if it's still going on.

----------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Audio comfort

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

I just read an article about another 2 weeks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty360 View Post
Does it have to do your by a lake? When do these go away? Was planning a trip in a couple of weeks to be just NW of you and may want to postpone if it's still going on.
We live out near Medina Lake but that has nothing to do with the butterflies. They took off pretty much mid-week last week. Wife and I did a nice ride yesterday and there were almost no butterflies left to splat. There has been a lot of rain today and I think there will be rain for next day or two.
griffalo likes this.

wiredgeorge

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Good to know, maybe riding this weekend and hanging out in Fredricksburg but will be riding down that way I'm sure if we can get away for the week.

----------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Audio comfort

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page