Hill Country - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Monk and Donnie,

When you guys get close to SA, give us a shout out and we'll see if we can't hook up with you for a meet.
I know Wild Turkey lives here in SA and I'm not sure who else is close by, but I'm sure we can find a place
to meet up for a bit. It'll be a chance to either meet you if I can't make Glockjock's RTE or say Hi afterwards.

Keith
Donnieontheroad and Glockjock like this.

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
Don't mean to highjack the thread but I have a couple of questions for ya. I am familiar with the area around Kerrville and like your directions over to Bracketville. I am planning a trip to the Big Bend either before Glockjocks RTE or right afterwards. If I go before I will catch Glens cat skinning on the way back. My questions are since I will be coming into San Antonio on I-10. What is the best way to get over to hwy. 90 to continue on west? Also there are a few things I know of that I want to catch on hwy. 90 i.e. Judge Roy Beans Court. Are there any other points of interest on hwy. 90 I should check out? Also I will be tent camping along the way and at Big Bend. Do you have any knowledge of the campgrounds in the park or along route 90? Thanks
If your coming in from Houston to San Antonio, just stay westbound on I.H. 10, when it turns north at the I.H. 35 interchange it turns into hwy 90 west, don't go north, just stay straight. If your coming from Kerrville into SA, you can take hwy 46 west out of Boerne, take a left on hwy 16 and then a right on 211. Right on 471, that will take you into Castroville. At traffic light take a right onto hwy 90 and head west. Hwy 90 bridge over the Pecos River is a good photo op. In Marathon is the Gage Hotel/restaurant. Camping at the end of town at the Marathon motel. in Study Butte behind the restaurant/gas pumps in a good place to camp just outside the west park entrance. Inside the park at the basin is another but most of the time its crowded. Try to avoid weekends and holidays, good luck. See you at Glen's

Last edited by Wild Turkey; 02-15-2017 at 06:46 PM.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
If I had a nickel for every mile you retired guys ride, I could retire earlier.
Donnieontheroad, Monk and Rusty360 like this.

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Just a heads up for you guys. I was just out on I-10 on the east side of San Antonio ( the side coming from Houston area) and they are doing some construction out there. They have lane's that are shifted over and some areas where the asphalt is not in the best shape. It was okay riding in my truck, but it might be a little rough on the bikes. It's on the section of I-10 between Loop 1604 and Loop 410 on the east side of San Antonio. I don't know how long this will be going on, but just thought I'd let you know ahead of time if you want to plan around it.
Donnieontheroad, Monk and Weege like this.

1976 CB550-Four
1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2004 GL1800 Titanium

GWRRA - promoting Friends, Fun, Safety & Knowledge.

GWRRA # 400819
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Want to do all Three Sisters

We want to do all of the Three Sisters while on this trip. The question I'm asking is what would be the best way to do that?

The area not included in the route described earlier is: https://goo.gl/maps/1bWztYMG3162

One idea that would probably work is to ride this route on the way back from Big Bend? So what would be a good way to do that? And are there other roads in the area we need to include on the way back through to complete the Three Sisters?

Early on we had discussed doing something like this on the way to Big Bend, https://goo.gl/maps/Z6pKgwdmM9G2 but I gather from the suggestion made by @Wild Turkey that it might be too much for one day? What do you think?

I know this is a lot to ask, but we really want to cover the really good stuff, because we are not sure if or when there will be another opportunity for us to visit the area.

Thank you once again for the great suggestions we've received so far.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 190,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Due to the layout of those three great roads, there really is no way to gracefully ride all three without some 'backtracking', or side sight seeing to connect up the three, that I know of. So, I don't really have the answer to your question. What I do know is, after re-studying your maps, is that I can remember riding TX hwy 39 from one of the sisters & back towards Kerrville. That stretch of hwy 39 is really scenic too, as I recall, and some of it runs alongside the Guadalupe river. Some of the homesteads along that stretch must surely have some history behind them as I always find myself slowing to the posted limit and operating the Vmax in what I refer to as "sight seeing mode". Our group leader last year didn't use that road, and I missed it and said so out loud to them. This year I'm going to be sure we get that stretch put back in to our itinerary.

...43 days and counting down until the wife and I leave for that area.....wishing it was closer so's we could ride it more often. For that matter, there are several members of our Vmax group that will be leaving our rally this year, and going on down to the Big Bend Nat'l Park area afterward. I'm not one of them. I think they are staying in Terlingua again.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Here's a map from the guide to motorcycle roads showing how they suggest doing all three, and it makes about as much sense as any route I can recall. This is probably about the same route we've tried in the past - the one that puts me on the wrong side of the Sisters when it's time to be back in Medina to get my apple pie flavored ice cream when they are about to close for the day...just sayin'...

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/55....qwoHenaM.dpbs

Last edited by Micky Runey; 02-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
We want to do all of the Three Sisters while on this trip. The question I'm asking is what would be the best way to do that?

The area not included in the route described earlier is: https://goo.gl/maps/1bWztYMG3162

One idea that would probably work is to ride this route on the way back from Big Bend? So what would be a good way to do that? And are there other roads in the area we need to include on the way back through to complete the Three Sisters?

Early on we had discussed doing something like this on the way to Big Bend, https://goo.gl/maps/Z6pKgwdmM9G2 but I gather from the suggestion made by @Wild Turkey that it might be too much for one day? What do you think?

I know this is a lot to ask, but we really want to cover the really good stuff, because we are not sure if or when there will be another opportunity for us to visit the area.

Thank you once again for the great suggestions we've received so far.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
You could do your first route if your planning on staying in Camp wood and then catch 337 back up to Leakey on the way back. Or you could take 377 on the way back all the way to Junction and I.H. 10 on the way back home.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Ride the Sisters counterclockwise from Leaky back around to the Frio Canyon Cycle shop in Leaky, take a short break and double back on 337 to Campwood. On that one-leg rerun all the lefties will be righties and vice versa.

By the way, if timing works to eat at Two Fat Boys BBQ in Campwood, be sure to get the owner started talking. He raced bikes for many years and is a great story teller. We stopped in there one Monday afternoon and they were closed, but he came out and stopped us before we could mount back up. Heated some choice bbq up for us and sat on the porch telling tales for an hour or more!

Another good place for food and sites, if you can get there, is the OST Diner in Bandera. They have a lot of John Wayne stuff from when he ate there every day (so I've been told) during filming of The Alamo nearby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big_Bear likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Thinking about this route on the way back to Kerrville

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Alpi...30.0474332!3e0

Funny when I click this link from my iphone it shows a different route via interstate which is not what I'm suggesting ...If I click on it from my computer it displays correctly.

Donnie
Monk likes this.

DonnieOnTheRoad

2013 (Lev3) Candy Alizarin Red Honda Goldwing - 92,409 miles
2011 Black Suzuki V-Strom 650A - 24,060 miles

* My previous Black 2004 Goldwing - 278,419 miles in 9+ years.

My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://donnieontheroad.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!

Last edited by Donnieontheroad; 02-14-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page