Hill Country - GL1800Riders
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Hill Country

Next month, Donnie and I will be making a trip into Texas to visit the Big Bend Area by way of the Hill Country. We have a couple of questions about routing. Neither of us have been to the area before, so we are not familiar with the roads.

The plan is to ride into Kerrville on the first day, then do some of the Hill Country on the way to Big Bend. After the Big Bend visit we will probably come back through the Hill Country to pick up any good roads that we missed.

The route below into Kerrville looks pretty straight forward to me, but would like to check with you guys to make sure we are not running into any road problem. And to make sure there is not a better way. This is part of our route during a 640 mile day. So we won't have time to do a lot of stops. Just interested in the best way to GET there.
https://goo.gl/maps/kHUUZRRfu4R2

The next day we will be running some of the Hill Country on the way to Alpine, Texas. Will probably end up somewhere around Camp Wood, Texas ready for the turn West. What is a good route to take over to Alpine from Camp Wood?

Thanks, we would appreciate any help you can provide!
GLKeith likes this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16 36 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 185,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

Last edited by Monk; 02-12-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Next month, Donnie and I will be making a trip into Texas to visit the Big Bend Area by way of the Hill Country. We have a couple of questions about routing. Neither of us have been to the area before, so we are not familiar with the roads.

The plan is to ride into Kerrville on the first day, then do some of the Hill Country on the way to Big Bend. After the Big Bend visit we will probably come back through the Hill Country to pick up any good roads that we missed.

The route below into Kerrville looks pretty straight forward to me, but would like to check with you guys to make sure we are not running into any road problem. And to make sure there is not a better way. This is part of our route during a 640 mile day. So we won't have time to do a lot of stops. Just interested in the best way to GET there.
https://goo.gl/maps/kHUUZRRfu4R2

The next day we will be running some of the Hill Country on the way to Alpine, Texas. Will probably end up somewhere around Camp Wood, Texas ready for the turn West. What is a good route to take over to Alpine from Camp Wood?

Thanks, we would appreciate any help you can provide!
Hey Monk , get in touch with Wild Turkey . As you are the "Man" for Arkansas ,He is the " man" when it comes to riding in Texas. Heck , he will most likely will ride with you .
Glockjock and Monk like this.

"On many long journeys have I gone. And waited , too , for others to return from journeys of their own. Some return ; some are broken ;some come back so different only their names remain"

Last edited by Yoda; 02-12-2017 at 09:53 AM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Member

I would stay on 16 down to Medina Tx and take a right on 337. That will take you into Leakey. In leakey take a left turn on main street and go down till you see a stripes gas station on your left. After you fill up head back up to 337 and make a left. Just out of town on your left is a bike stop for food/shopping called Bent Rim Grill. From there continue on 337 down to Camp Wood, another gas stop. Take a left on hwy 55 and then down the road take a right on hwy 334 which takes you into Bracketville. In Bracketville is another gas stop. Make a right on hwy 90 it will take you all the way to Alpine. You will pass over Lake Amistad which has 836 miles of coast line. I would stop before you pass over the Pecos river there is a pull off to your left for some pictures. Your other gas stops would be Sanderson and then into alpine. From Kerrville to Leakey is only 65 miles but will take at least an hour and 45 minutes. From Leakey to Alpine this route is about 302 miles, will take you about 6 or more hours for gas stops and eating. Looking at least an 8 hour day. Enjoy. Let me know when you come down i can meet you guys and ride part of the way.

Last edited by Wild Turkey; 02-13-2017 at 12:42 AM.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Monk I would bypass the Dallas area a little further south. I'm not very good with the maps programs or I would show you. Go to Tyler TX and take 155 to Palestine TX then take 79 to Hutto pass Hutto take 130 north to University /1431 and head west. After you cross over I35 and 183 the fun will soon begin. Ride 1431 to hwy 29 then to Llano. Check out the Longhorn Cavern state park on the way great stop and doesn't take much time to see. Also there is a nice Quality Inn in Marble Falls. This a great ride Hobo and I went that route the first time down there and the wife and I went back that way New Years. Between Llano and Fredericksburge you can go by Enchanted Rock just take FM 965 and it will take you by the Rock and back to Fredericksburge. However it was closed when we were there New Years but it would just be a drive by scenic view but worth it. Hope this helps.
Donnieontheroad, number18 and Monk like this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
I would stay on 16 down to Medina Tx and take a right on 337. That will take you into Leakey. In leakey take a left turn on main street and go down till you see a stripes gas station on your right. After you fill up head back up to 337 and make a left. Just out of town on your left is a bike stop for food/shopping called Bent Rim Grill. From there continue on 337 down to Camp Wood, another gas stop. Take a left on hwy 55 and then down the road take a right on hwy 334 which takes you into Bracketville. In Bracketville is another gas stop. Make a right on hwy 90 it will take you all the way to Alpine. You will pass over Lake Amistad which has 836 miles of coast line. I would stop before you pass over the Pecos river there is a pull off to your left for some pictures. Your other gas stops would be Sanderson and then into alpine. From Kerrville to Leakey is only 65 miles but will take at least an hour and 45 minutes. From Leakey to Alpine this route is about 302 miles, will take you about 6 or more hours for gas stops and eating. Looking at least an 8 hour day. Enjoy. Let me know when you come down i can meet you guys and ride part of the way.

Thank you for that information, especially the gas stops. I'm mostly in charge of where we get fuel!
Donnieontheroad likes this.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure how you planned to get your first point. But 31 out of Tyler is not a bad route to get to your first point if time is a issue. Just avoid I35 traffic is horrible around that area especially for a Arkansas Hillbilly. But I think you will be impressed with 1431 from George town over to 29. Let me know when you will be coming through Texarkana maybe I can meet up with you guys and ride for awhile.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy View Post
Not sure how you planned to get your first point. But 31 out of Tyler is not a bad route to get to your first point if time is a issue. Just avoid I35 traffic is horrible around that area especially for a Arkansas Hillbilly. But I think you will be impressed with 1431 from George town over to 29. Let me know when you will be coming through Texarkana maybe I can meet up with you guys and ride for awhile.
Here is our first day route to Kerrville

https://goo.gl/maps/TUR8woRAmzx
Hondahawk likes this.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

That route will work as well minor construction on I 30 westbound from New Boston to Sulpher Springs. Avoid I 30 eastbound @ Texarkana on the way home. Watch your A$$ on 30 we have had more wrecks than I can count lately with several fatalities.
Monk likes this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
I would stay on 16 down to Medina Tx and take a right on 337. That will take you into Leakey. In leakey take a left turn on main street and go down till you see a stripes gas station on your right. After you fill up head back up to 337 and make a left. Just out of town on your left is a bike stop for food/shopping called Bent Rim Grill. From there continue on 337 down to Camp Wood, another gas stop. Take a left on hwy 55 and then down the road take a right on hwy 334 which takes you into Bracketville. In Bracketville is another gas stop. Make a right on hwy 90 it will take you all the way to Alpine. You will pass over Lake Amistad which has 836 miles of coast line. I would stop before you pass over the Pecos river there is a pull off to your left for some pictures. Your other gas stops would be Sanderson and then into alpine. From Kerrville to Leakey is only 65 miles but will take at least an hour and 45 minutes. From Leakey to Alpine this route is about 302 miles, will take you about 6 or more hours for gas stops and eating. Looking at least an 8 hour day. Enjoy. Let me know when you come down i can meet you guys and ride part of the way.
If I understand correctly this is your recommendation?

https://goo.gl/maps/AJBu1Wnsayz

I'm a visual person, it helps me to see it on the map.

Thanks for the information!

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy View Post
That route will work as well minor construction on I 30 westbound from New Boston to Sulpher Springs. Avoid I 30 eastbound @ Texarkana on the way home. Watch your A$$ on 30 we have had more wrecks than I can count lately with several fatalities.
Thanks, I saw where a friend of mine, the other day, set in traffic on I-30 just south of Texarkana for about three hours trying to get back to Arkansas.

We are leaving the return leg from the Hill Country in limbo for now. Hoping we can just cut up through Western Arkansas and avoid the Interstate completely.

Red - 2014
IBA # 42128

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page