GL1800Riders Forums banner

Left pocket power NONE, all fuses good!

653 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FIRE UP 
#1 ·
Gents,
Howdy. Well I bought one of those slime compressors about 2 months ago and just now decided to try it. I plugged into the left pocket and it worked for about 1.5 seconds and quit. OK, so it's off to the fuse box to find the bad one. All of the fuses in the fuse box check out WITH A METER, perfect. I did it twice to make sure I didn't miss anyone.

Another point, my volt meter just below my right pocket quit working too. The previous owner had the volt meter installed by a Honda dealer near him near Temecula CA. I don't know where they would hook up the volt meter but, it bugs me that the meter quit too and, none of the fuses in the stock fuse panel are blown. Oh by the way, the little compressor works just fine if I use the alligator clips that are supplied with it.

So, I guess that means I'll have to pull the shelter and see if there's some in line fuse that powers up the left pocket and the volt meter. Any ideas or, has anyone had this same problem? I checked for a "Search" and did come up with some wiring diagrams and everyone pointed to either the 5A ACC or #21 Audio/ACC and both are perfectly good. Time to go hunting.
Scott

#2 ·
Your compressor probably draws near 10 amps, and the +12v accessory socket is probably fused for 5 amps.

Recheck the accessory fuse, or trace back the wiring and perhaps find an after-market fuse somewhere.

Also, do not use any of the bike's OEM wiring for the compressor. Either use the battery clamps, or a +12v socket with the proper sized added wiring and fuse to run the compressor.

Good Luck!

#3 ·
Blown fuse?

If you plugged into the 12 volt socket located in the left pocket the fuse that was blown is attached to the rear of the socket.
I just installed one yesterday and know it's there. This is the Honda part.
You have to pull the left pocket to access the fuse.

#4 ·
power socket left pocket.

My Honda power supply socket has a inline fuse on the wiring feeding it under the left pocket. If yours is the same ,just remove the left pocket and follow the wire back from the socket. You should see a white inline fuse.Pop the holder open and there is a fuse inside it. This one is made to blow before the bike fuse blows. Hope this helps

#5 ·
Didn't know about the Honda socket fuse because mine is non-OEM and I ran separate wiring.

Now, back to the left pocket... in case you don't know, push IN on the center of the plastic rivets to remove them.

To re-install, pull the center pin OUT first, install, and then press center pin flush.

#6 ·
Thanks guys,
All of you were right. I figured the little guy had to be in there somewhere. I also had to figure out how to remove the pocket. I've had it out before but my memory's as long as my ..... anyway, I just poked in on the center of the little corner buttons and vualllllllllaaaaa, they went in and all of a sudden, the pocket was loose. I raised it up and there it was, the little white 3A fuse coupler. A 3A, man that's low amperage. I guess there's a reason for it. So, I dug into the old tool box and guess what, I had a tiny container with three, count em, three, 3A glass fuses in it. YAHOOOOOO. I popped one in, started the bike and the ol'e volt meter started climbing, slowly but climbing 'till hit it 14V.

So, the moral of the story is, don't use this power outlet for anything other than maybe an I-pod (which already has a jack for it anyway) or a GPS maybe etc. As for using the compressor, yes I know it should use larger wiring but, I simply had a brain f... and tried it anyway. So, the compressor did seem to work, albeit kind-a slow. The rear tire had 39 in it and it's supposed to have 41 so, here comes the SLIME compressor to the rescue. It took about, maybe 15-20 seconds to top-off to 41.

I'm going to figure out if I want to permanently wire the little guy inside the left bag and get a little longer air hose. That way, all I have to do is, start the bike, open the compartment, uncoil the hose and fill up a tire. The inconvenience of setting up the compressor is not all that bad 'cause I don't do it every day. We'll see. Another project for another day.

Thank you all for responding to my problem. Nice people. OK, back to polishing now that the catastrophe is all over.
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.