GL1800Riders Forums banner

Drain Plug Question

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Waldo 
#1 ·
While changing the oil tonight, I noticed that the drain plug on the shaft drive has a small magnet built into it, while the front engine drain plug does not. Would it hurt to order a shaft drain plug and use it in the engine? The threads and length appear to be the same.
Thanks for any comments.

#4 ·
While changing the oil tonight, I noticed that the drain plug on the shaft drive has a small magnet built into it, while the front engine drain plug does not. Would it hurt to order a shaft drain plug and use it in the engine? The threads and length appear to be the same.
Thanks for any comments.
I think it's a waste of money, the 1500's are the same way, a good hot flush out is better would't you say!! And beside's that magnet is so small!

#7 ·
Magnet does not pick up aluminum, but the ratio of aluminum to steel is about the same inside the crank & tranny as it is inside the final drive.

I have a final drive plug installed in my pan up front. Free with my spare final drive trike take off. Just closed up the hole in it with the one from the drain pan. Will swap it with the one off my (if) failed original final drive (if).

Problem with the after market mag ones is that the bolt does not take 17mm, but is (I think) only 13mm which means you can throw away your cool oil filter wrench.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.