Techron works. I'm now a believer - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Techron works. I'm now a believer

I don't normally put additives in my gas tank or crankcase. Growing up in an era of worthless additives like STP has left me a bit jaded about such products, and I have always gotten along just fine without them thank you.

As some of you know, my bike has pinged badly off and on for a few years now. I would run a tank of premium, do some wide open throttle, and generally ride aggressively on that tank, and the pinging would go away for about 3 or 4 tanks. And the bike had much more power with premium because the ECM wasn't sensing pinging and excessively retarding the timing.

On a recent trip into the Pennsylvania mountains, things got real bad. I had to stop at an ancient gas station in the middle of the mountains that was directly out of a scene from the movie Deliverance, complete with the mumbling hillbilly standing at fuel pumps that still had old style mechanical readouts and no credit card reader.

I am convinced that I got a bad tank of gas, but the pinging was really bad. I couldn't even maintain speed up a steep hill without it pinging terribly, even if I took the rpms up to 4500.

I knew that I had carbon building up in my combustion chamber, and possibly also had injectors that weren't firing correctly, but it was at this point that I decided it was time to try some fuel additive before I destroyed my engine.

After the guy at the local auto parts store told me that both the Techron and SeaFoam were popular, but that the GM dealerships swore by the Techron, I decided to try some. I added half a bottle to a fill up, and within 100 miles, the pinging was almost completely gone. The stuff really did work, and it verified my suspicion about carbon buildup or fuel system varnish.

After thinking about this for awhile, I may add this to my normal maintenance routine on the Wing based simply on a theory.

90% of my riding is commuting and running errands around town, which means that most of my riding is rather sedate. When you have an engine with this much torque compared to the weight it is pulling, it never really gets stressed in that kind of riding, and carbon never gets a chance to be burned off. Based on that theory, I am going to start using the Techron at least once a month on the bike.

I do still have a very slight ping going up steep hills if I really get on it, so there may still be some buildup that needs to be removed. Maybe I will try some SeaFoam on the next tank to see if it takes care of the rest of the problem.

For what it's worth, I still think that Honda was a bit too optimistic in recommending 87 octane for this bike. There are a lot of people that complain about pinging, and my 02 has had slight pinging since it was new. So 89 octane may also become part of my regular routine. An extra 50 cents a tank won't kill me, especially if the bike runs better on it.

Hope this helps someone.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Larry, I too am a believer in Techron. If I suspected serious build-up, I would run 3, maybe 4 tanks of gas w/ Techron before I spaced it out to like once every 6 months. BTW, Richard Petty (Mr. STP) is coming to get you.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Larry, before you go bouncing around trying different products. LOL

Chevron, a major oil company, has developed Techron. Here is a link to their website that compares it's product with it's leading competitor.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...tives/tcp.aspx

Gleen whatever........judge........etc.

I add the Techron once a year to suck up condensed water. Because of the possible octane dilution I fill up with 89 octane for that tank full.

I also do not buy gasoline from Costco, Sams Club, Meijers, or Walmart, etc. because of the ethanol content.

Ps: I will not put either Techron or Seafoam in my crankcase.

Flame throwers may now volley

Troy, Michigan 2007 Goldwing
IBA 45141
BBG X5
SS2000 Gold

Mile Eater Bronze, Silver, and Gold
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Veteran

Larry,
I try to use Chevron and Texaco.
I thought both have Techron additive in the fuel
...is that the same stuff you added?

Dennis

....Life....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

";;;;;;;;;
{°¿°}
( ~ )

in the end,
we will not remember the words of our enemies
but rather,
the silence of our friends.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Lowest Grade Fuel

I use regular fuel every time I fill. (lowest grade) Have not heard any pinging yet. We ride 2 up all the time, not to aggressive. With only 6000 miles I average 44.86 MPG using regular fuel. No additives used.

Full Time RV'er
Home is Where We Park
2009 Goldwing Titanium

Living a Dream
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Here is another thing that may help prevent carbon buildup in your engine if a good portion of your driving is around town.

I was told by a very savy Goldwing mechanic that we should shift gears at around 3,000 RPM and not 2,000 as a lot of Wingers tend to do. He said you'd be amazed that the extra 1000 RPM would make that much difference in preventing carbon deposits, but it will.

-- Jim --

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Seasoned Member

I've used Techron since the bike was new and only try to use Chevron or Texico gas when possible. I put 3 oz in a tank every 4 months or so. No pinging.

06, Dark Red GL1800
Darksider #107
Michlin Alpin 195/55/16 Run Flat (28psi) 5th one
Bridgestone 701 bias ply front (36lbs)
Rest in Peace, Beverly
Florida Prowler #3

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingleader09 View Post
Here is another thing that may help prevent carbon buildup in your engine if a good portion of your driving is around town.

I was told by a very savy Goldwing mechanic that we should shift gears at around 3,000 RPM and not 2,000 as a lot of Wingers tend to do. He said you'd be amazed that the extra 1000 RPM would make that much difference in preventing carbon deposits, but it will.

I agree. Another benefit of revving over 3k, if the speed limit allows, is that the transmission does not clunk and you get much smoother shifting.

Troy, Michigan 2007 Goldwing
IBA 45141
BBG X5
SS2000 Gold

Mile Eater Bronze, Silver, and Gold
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Excellant Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingleader09 View Post

Very true, keep your revs up a bit in those riding conditions and never lug a motor against a pull like riding uphill.

Hey, I gotta fever, and there's only 1 cure... More cowbell!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2002 STREAM SILVER GL1800
2002 PEARL ORANGE GL1800
1989 GL1500
1986 GL1200 SEI
1986 V65 MAGNA
1998 PC800
2003 Stream SILVER GL1800
2004 ST1300
2000 ST1100
2007 650 BURGMAN
2005 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE
2001 BLUE GL1800
1998 GL1500 ASPENCADE
1997 GL1500 VALKYRIE
1986 V MAX
1994 HARLEY FLSTN
1989 VENTURE ROYALE
1983 GL1100
1988 V MAX
1980 GS1000
1985 V MAX
1979 XS1100 SPECIAL
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
1969 CL350
1967 305 DREAM
1965 HONDA S90
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

We don't have Chevron's or Texaco's in the Midwest. They left this area over 30 years ago. I haven't seen one anywhere in years.

I normally seek out Shell or Sunoco, but I do also give my business to the big Mini-Mart chains like Sheetz and Speedway that have a lot of traffic and modern pumps. I don't go to Walmart or Sam's.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2488 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page