How to Remove and Install front wheel - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

How to Remove and Install front wheel

How do you remove and Install front wheel on a 2010 1800 Goldwing. The book is confusing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Enjoy the trip, the destination comes soon enough
Darkside # 751
Put your trust in God
2012 Gold Wing Black
2011-Mini Mate camper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodygne View Post
How do you remove and Install front wheel on a 2010 1800 Goldwing. The book is confusing.
Piece of cake actually. Remove the front fender, and then the rear side pieces and the rear part of the fender. Jack the bike up from the frame and just before you get the wheel off the floor, Loosen the bottom pinch bolts. There's two on each side at the bottom front of the fork. Then remove the axle nut off the right front axle. Jack the bike up then so the wheel just clears the floor. Before you pull the axle out, remove the right brake caliper. There's two 10mm bolts that hold this unit on. Slide it then to the rear. From now on, do not squeeze the front brake lever or the footbrake. Once the caliper is back and out of the way, you can pull the axle out from the left side. A screwdriver inserted in the axle holes will help here. There will be two distance pieces ,one on each side of the wheel . Pay attention to which ones go back where. They are different from one another. The wheel should roll right out then. Reassembly is in reverse except for one detail. You will need to pry the brake shoes apart as far as they will go to be able to insert it back on the brake disc. A large dull screwdriver will do it OK.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7AX View Post
Piece of cake actually. Remove the front fender, and then the rear side pieces and the rear part of the fender. Jack the bike up from the frame and just before you get the wheel off the floor, Loosen the bottom pinch bolts. There's two on each side at the bottom front of the fork. Then remove the axle nut off the right front axle. Jack the bike up then so the wheel just clears the floor. Before you pull the axle out, remove the right brake caliper. There's two 10mm bolts that hold this unit on. Slide it then to the rear. From now on, do not squeeze the front brake lever or the footbrake. Once the caliper is back and out of the way, you can pull the axle out from the left side. A screwdriver inserted in the axle holes will help here. There will be two distance pieces ,one on each side of the wheel . Pay attention to which ones go back where. They are different from one another. The wheel should roll right out then. Reassembly is in reverse except for one detail. You will need to pry the brake shoes apart as far as they will go to be able to insert it back on the brake disc. A large dull screwdriver will do it OK.
Is there anything about a feelers gage at .028?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Enjoy the trip, the destination comes soon enough
Darkside # 751
Put your trust in God
2012 Gold Wing Black
2011-Mini Mate camper
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

I don't know what you would need a feeler gage for. The brakes when reinstalled will need to be exercized a couple times to bring the brake shoes up to the proper distance to the disc but that's about it really.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Seasoned Member

You don't have to remove the rear fender half. The .028" or .7mm feeler is used to check the clearance between the left brake rotor and the caliper mounting bracket. This is checked after everything is tightened up.

There is a .7mm feeler guage in a pocket on the outside of the toolkit.

Ron
Belton Tx
07 GW ABS
91 BMW K75RT ABS
56 Harley FL ABS on front only
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

The reason I take the rear fender part off is so I can clean the inside crud off. You're right there anyway and I always do it. But of course, you don't have to remove it to get the wheel off.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Grumpy Fart

Here's how you do it if you don't have a jack.
http://www.hotsvideos.com/video/1951...nt-Wheel-Stunt

2014 BMW K1600 GTLE Darksider #157 http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55-16
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

Pretty cool...but I bet he can't do a Goldwing the same way
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Member

I recently installed a new front tire on my 07. I found it interesting that the shop service manual no longer calls for the feeler gauge check on the rotor/caliper clearance as it did on my 02. I don't see any difference in the design between the 02 and the 07, but that's what the book says. I did the "fork bounce" they recommend, and everything aligned perfectly.

Honda says that caliper bolt is "one use", and should be replaced. I've never done that, but be aware that it is recommended.

Note carefully how the wheel spacers are installed, it can be confusing to figure that out after removal. Also, insert the spacers into the wheel before reinstalling it, because they are nearly impossible to install once the wheel is between the forks.

2007 Metallic Black GL 1800

Darksider # 1084

To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Seasoned Member

If you follow the procedure in the owner's manual, the .7mm clearance between teh left edge of the rotor and right edge of the caliper MOUNT bracket WILL be OK with plenty to spare.

Do not loosen the left side axle pinch bolts until the right side axle pinch bolts and right axle nut is already loose. Only the right side caliper need be removed. On re-assembly, the right axle bolt is torqued to spec, then the right pinch bolts. Before tightening the left pinch bolts, hold the brake lever firmly and bounce the front end upon the axle several times to make sure it is relaxed in tis centered position. Other than the bit about taking the left caliper off, I think the owner's manual directions (IF YOU HAVE A FLAT TIRE) are quite good in this case.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2238 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page