Turn Signal - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Turn Signal

Were is the turn signal relay on a 1800 located. And how do you get to it?

Jack & Helen Goddard
Roy, Utah
2005 Blue 1800 CSC Trike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

There is a relay in the turn signals? Or is it just a flasher unit?

Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Not sure. When you turn the signal switch either way. Right and left signal lights Both at the same time come on on the dash, same thing happens when you put on the brake. Check all the bulbs. Front signals come on ok. Was using the emergency flasher yesterday for about 15 munutes. Parked it and got cought in heavy rain. It started acting up when I started it up after that. Acts like the Emergency switch is on all the time but It turns off.

Jack & Helen Goddard
Roy, Utah
2005 Blue 1800 CSC Trike
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Seasoned Member

I am not sure what you are looking for, but you should look at a Honda Electrical Troubleshooting Manual to run this down. I looked at my ETM and found the following:

The "tail relay" is located under the seat just behind the fuel tank sensors (ETM pg 12-6 photo 38. It is the center relay. It supplies power to all the tail lights when the ignition switch is turned on.

The "turn signal relay" is located behind the instrument cluster (ETM pg 12-12 photo 74). I am not sure but I think this is the one that causes the turn signals to blink on and off.

I can't imagine troubleshooting electrical problems without using an ETM. Hope this helps.

Former MSF/CMSP instructor, IBA#6027
2005 GL-1800A, Metalic Silver
Retired in Roseburg, OR
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Seasoned Member

I would start at the emergency flasher switch. take it loose and make sure none of it is still engaged. The brake light part has me confused since the blinkers and the brake lights are not part of the same system like a Ford pickup, (just an example of a shared blinker and brake light system). The brake lights should never cause the turn signal indicator lights on the dash to light up.

2003 non-ABS
Ex-Darksider
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack M View Post
Not sure. When you turn the signal switch either way. Right and left signal lights Both at the same time come on on the dash, same thing happens when you put on the brake. Check all the bulbs. Front signals come on ok. Was using the emergency flasher yesterday for about 15 munutes. Parked it and got cought in heavy rain. It started acting up when I started it up after that. Acts like the Emergency switch is on all the time but It turns off.
By any chance do you have a hitch with an adapter for your trailer wiring ?

"If my computer is so smart, why doesn't it know my limitations ?"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Lights

Yes I do have wires for a trailer. I took the cover off they look ok. Maybe a place to start with a meter. Thanks. I took the emg flasher switch out and it was clean and dry.

Jack & Helen Goddard
Roy, Utah
2005 Blue 1800 CSC Trike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Seasoned Member

If your trailer wiring isolator and/or converter came from Electrical Connections you may want to give them a call. They were having issues with some of those parts fail. That is what I have on my bike and I had to replace one of the two pieces but can't remember which (I am thinking it was the converter). However, when mine failed I had different symptoms than what you have explained.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2186 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page