Iridium Spark Plugs - Page 2 - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: Michigan...................................... In The Thumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
because of a good tip from this board i got a nice price on a set of iridium plugs this spring

Could you share the good tip?

John
If Riding A Wing Is A Mid life Crisis....Bring It On!
2006 Dark Red GL 1800
Gold Wing, Adopted 4-21-06 Premium Audio/Comfort

R.I.P. Beverly, You'll be Missed!
R.I.P. Harry
R.I.P. Chuck
The "Black Pirate" has left us a message.

Did you get it?

DS 1020

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 ZP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Price View Post
I've had a set in my wing for the last 50K miles... no problems, runs great, normal 38-44mpg fuel consumption... they just work..
Put them in the 01 bike and put 60K on it before I sold it - they are still there. Have them in the Trike, and both my experiences are same as Larrys. They do not hurt a thing. No better, no worse. But is puts me way ahead in the 'I spent more than you' contest.

Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker John View Post
Yeah. Stay with the originals.

Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Are the NGK Iridium spark plugs the only ones available for the Wing or are there others? Is one brand, if there are multiples to use on the Wing, better than others? Price not being a concern.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker John View Post
someone posted a link where u could buy them a little cheaper so i printed the ad and took it to Advance Auto and they beat the price plus let me use a $10 off coupon, it was a nice deal but still about double the price of the stock plugs

the only real advantage with Iridium plugs is the gap never changes, other than that they seem to work the same as the stock plugs, these Iridiums will probably be the last set of plugs ever installed in my wing

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 465,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossrodes View Post
Does anyone know or had experience with using Iridium plugs in an 1800. Everything I read seems to indicate that they are for high performance motors. Also, if you can use them in a Wing, how long do they last?
I have not had such experience but would be concerned about the specific performance of an aftermarket plug at the engine's operating temperature, not just within an arbitrarily arrived at temperature 'range'. Generally speaking the spark plugs specified by the engine manufacturer will provide the best performance, all else equal.

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Seasoned Member

The only purpose for the Iridim coating on plugs is to help them last longer. This is one of the things that enabled manufacturers to quote 100.000 mile maintenance intervals on new cars.

But there is a slight drawback. When you are no longer changing plugs every 24,000 miles or so, the plug wire boots tend to seize on the plug, making it very difficult to remove them. If this were a car that is very difficult to change the plugs, I can see using them. But on this bike, replacing the plugs is so easy that it doesn't justify the expense.

The problem of getting adequate spark pretty much no longer exists. The high power ignition systems used in today's vehicles outperform the best racing ignitions of 30 years ago. The only people messing with different spark plugs anymore are ones that just can't let go of a ritual that is long dead.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post
I have not had such experience but would be concerned about the specific performance of an aftermarket plug at the engine's operating temperature, not just within an arbitrarily arrived at temperature 'range'. Generally speaking the spark plugs specified by the engine manufacturer will provide the best performance, all else equal.
Ben, there isn't anything magical about the heat range of a plug. It is a standardized measurement system. The only difference in the different heat ranges is the length and diameter of the insulator tip.

Since most of the major spark plug manufacturers are also OEM suppliers, the term "aftermarket" really doesn't apply here, unless you start looking at the few low volume specialty spark plug makers. I use the NGK plugs just because they are easiest to obtain without messing with cross references. But since most of the OEM's now use Iridium plugs, you can be confident that you aren't going to cause problems by using them. It just boils down to whether you feel it is worth the expense.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 AM
Seasoned Member

I agree that there is nothing magical about the term "heat range." The operative word is 'range.' My day-to-day experience is somewhat dated but I believe it is still true that the plugs selected for original equipment often perform better in the specific engines than do others of equal or better 'quality' and reputation within the same heat range. Stated another way, one brand/model may be at one end of the heat range and another at the other end. I prefer to use the plugs that the engine manufacturer prefers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Ben, there isn't anything magical about the heat range of a plug. It is a standardized measurement system. The only difference in the different heat ranges is the length and diameter of the insulator tip.

Since most of the major spark plug manufacturers are also OEM suppliers, the term "aftermarket" really doesn't apply here, unless you start looking at the few low volume specialty spark plug makers. I use the NGK plugs just because they are easiest to obtain without messing with cross references. But since most of the OEM's now use Iridium plugs, you can be confident that you aren't going to cause problems by using them. It just boils down to whether you feel it is worth the expense.

post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Supporting Vendor

Iridium plugs offer a couple advantages over the standard copper core NGK plugs.

First off, the fine wire center electrode produces a more exposed spark that helps ignite combustion faster, and the sharp tip makes it easier to produce spark at a lower voltage, so that reduces wear on your entire secondary electrical system (IE coils and wires) as well as your starter motor and battery from less cranking during engine start.

Second, over time they will maintain their gap better. This means that your gas mileage and performance will remain more constant than with the standard NGK's, which starts to gradually drop off after about 7K-10K miles or so. If you looked at the curve for gas mileage and performance over the life of the plug, you would see that the iriduim plug curve is much more flat, where the copper core NGK begins to drop off a lot sooner.

And the third benefit is the obvious one, that they simply last longer and don't need to be changed as often. However, the increased cost has to be factored into that.

Also, don't be fooled into thinking they won't ever wear out. The ground electrode on them is still made from a nickel alloy, so it still wears out at the normal rate. Only the center electrode is iridium. According to NGK, their main purpose is for increased performance produced from the fine wire electrode, not longevity. Plugs that are truly made for longevity are called "dual precious" as both the center and grounding electrodes are made from precious metal to reduce wear on both. But they are hard to find and extremely expensive.

By the way, the GL1800 uses a wasted spark system which increases wear on the plugs and wires significantly. I'd sure like to see Honda upgrade the next Wing to a more modern system with individual coils on each plug. Most folks never change the plug wires on the GL1800 because to do so I believe you also have to replace the coils, as they are molded into them - and you have to remove the top shelter, gas tank, and airbox to get to them. I suspect there are a lot of GL1800's out there running around with worn out and leaky wires on them as a result. So from this standpoint, iridiums are a good idea, because they will fire off at a lower voltage and thus will reduce the strain on the wires by keeping the voltage down, so your plug wires and coils should last longer.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page