GL1800Riders Forums banner

Looking for Poly Butyl Cuprysil Grease

15K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Digger 
#1 ·
I'm not having any luck here.

I'm looking for Poly Butyl Cuprysil (PBC) grease for a top secret project I'm working on.

Does anyone know where I can get some of this stuff?

TIA!

#9 ·
Greetings!

Polybutyl Cuprysil (sometimes also called Polybutyl Cuprosil) is simply silicon grease with a copper pressure additive. It is used extensively in brake systems to lubricate caliper bolts and the like because the silicon grease base can withstand higher temperatures than Lithium soaps or organic soaps and the copper additive can take higher pressure than Molybdenum additives.

This very same composition is often sold as high-temperature anti-seize compound, so if you can't find it being sold as a brake caliper lubricant you might find it as an anti-seize. I'll also bet you can order it from Summit Racing.

#10 ·
Greetings!

Polybutyl Cuprysil (sometimes also called Polybutyl Cuprosil) is simply silicon grease with a copper pressure additive. It is used extensively in brake systems to lubricate caliper bolts and the like because the silicon grease base can withstand higher temperatures than Lithium soaps or organic soaps and the copper additive can take higher pressure than Molybdenum additives.

This very same composition is often sold as high-temperature anti-seize compound, so if you can't find it being sold as a brake caliper lubricant you might find it as an anti-seize. I'll also bet you can order it from Summit Racing.
ah HA! Is it copper colored? I remember seeing that somewhere, I didn't know you could use it for acne.

:joke:

#11 ·
ah HA! Is it copper colored? I remember seeing that somewhere, I didn't know you could use it for acne.
Yes, copper colored. And as a guy who rides with his face shield open most of the time (which can cause a form of acne rosacea) I have found that Metrogel or Metrocream (both prescription only) work better than anti-seize. (Seriously!)

#12 ·
Harrrrrrrrrrr. I was gonna say my Poly Butyl Cuprysil don't need greas'n; yet. But then Astute done went and spilled the beans. The stuff I got was not of a traditional copper color, but rather a nice green (actually, copper is green when in solution) translucent silicone in one use clear plastic pouches. Not sure if I got it at NAPA or AutoZone. Called "Brake Parts Grease" as I recall.

prs

#13 ·
Digger, if you want this for high-temp anti-seize and are willing to use a great substitute (would even work in the vacuum off space), try either Neolube #2 or just make your own with very fine graphite (scraped from a carbon brush?) suspended in reagent grade isopropyl.

#14 ·
So are you saying to use it on my acme. I did and now my face is worst and copper colored. Does anyone have some cleaning solvent so I can wasy my face? This stuff is awful.

#17 ·
Greetings!

Thanks.....valuable info for me.

Astute, I figured you'd weigh in on this one! :yes1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.