Problem with heated clothing - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Problem with heated clothing

I just bought a new gerbing's heated jacket liner. I wanted the remote heat controller so I bought the warm N safe remote controller and warm N save advertises the thinnest gloves. So I bought them also. But the gloves are not getting warm.
I have checked voltage on the plugs coming out of the jacket liner and they check out fine. Also check continuity in both plugs on the gloves and they check ok.
Any suggestions on what the problem could be. Sure hate spending the money on new heated gloves and not having any heat....
Thanks

Brad[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsmith View Post
I just bought a new gerbing's heated jacket liner. I wanted the remote heat controller so I bought the warm N safe remote controller and warm N save advertises the thinnest gloves. So I bought them also. But the gloves are not getting warm.
I have checked voltage on the plugs coming out of the jacket liner and they check out fine. Also check continuity in both plugs on the gloves and they check ok.
Any suggestions on what the problem could be. Sure hate spending the money on new heated gloves and not having any heat....
Thanks
which controller did you buy? Single or dual? if you bought the single you need to put in a splitter to make it drive the liner and gloves...... If you bought the dual you should be attaching one channel to the liner's white plug and the other to the aux connector which is connected to the glove connectors at the ends of the sleeves.....

Keep it breezy...
P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.
Current rides:
MMX Honda Gold Wing VIIA, Titanium & '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)
Darksider #1443, as Joun Cafferty wrote "The dark side's callin' now Nothin' is real"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
which controller did you buy? Single or dual? if you bought the single you need to put in a splitter to make it drive the liner and gloves...... If you bought the dual you should be attaching one channel to the liner's white plug and the other to the aux connector which is connected to the glove connectors at the ends of the sleeves.....
Exactly!

Read this FAQ on the Gerbing's website. It should answer all of your questions.

http://gerbing.com/Info/FAQ.php

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

dual controler

Sorry I didn't say which controller. I have the dual remote controller from First Gear which is made by warm N safe. One plug on the main circuit and the other on the glove circuit. Gloves don't work. Im thinking about just changing the two plugs around and see if the gloves will heat up and maybe not the liner.

Thanks for the reply's so far.

Brad[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Seasoned Member

you might try plugging each of the gloves to each of the controllers channels and see if neither, one or both gloves heat..... if so, it might be a problem with the aux channel in the liner.

Another thing, how much time are you giving the gloves to warm up???? if the are not Gerbing micro wire technology, they might take longer to warm up than the jacket liner.......

my jacket liner and gloves both have the micro wire technology and both heat up almost instantly...... really nice.

Keep it breezy...
P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.
Current rides:
MMX Honda Gold Wing VIIA, Titanium & '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)
Darksider #1443, as Joun Cafferty wrote "The dark side's callin' now Nothin' is real"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Thanks
Did you check the fuse????? Replace with a new one 15amp. no higher!!!
or clean the one you have.

Jim
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

James, If the fuse were blown the nothing would heat up. The liner heats up fine.
KiteSquid you may have a point but last night I rode 40 miles in below 30 temps. The gloves never got warm.
The first gear remote dual controller has two plugs on it. One is gray and one black. The best I can figure out is the gray plug is the main power for the liner and the black one for the other circuit. But they can be plugged into either plug on the gerbing's liner. So I went out and changed the plugs around and the liner will still heat up but the gloves didn't. I am fixing to go for a ride and the temp is about 50 right now. I didn't wait very long when I changed the plugs around for the gloves to heat up as Kite said they aren't gerbings gloves but are First gear made by warm n safe. According to the warm and safe web site they don't have the micro wire but something similar and are supposed to heat up pretty quick. I will test this while riding. I will post again later with the results.
Thanks everyone

Brad[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Thanks
Did you sync your controller,, did you watch the video?????????

That's your problem.

Jim
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Member

If he didn't sync the controller to the receiver, I doubt the liner would be heating up.
I would replace the gloves.

later..Randy

later...Randy
2005 Billet Silver ABS

....... 1967-1971......

Proud Member Of The PGR
Since 2006
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTHEWIND View Post
If he didn't sync the controller to the receiver, I doubt the liner would be heating up.
I would replace the gloves.

later..Randy
It looks like to me you have to turn it on and off a few times with the red light to active yellow when the yellow light starts to flash then it becomes a dual controller...

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2186 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page