Gerbing controller mount - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 PM
chuckSTer

Gerbing controller mount

I'm looking for ideas for mounting my Gerbing controller permanently on the bike. I've been carrying it in a small bag located on the gas filler lid but thats proving impractical as far as one--hand operation goes. Don't want to clip it to my clothing but would rather mount it on the bike somewhere. Any and all ideas, recommendations or suggestions appreciated. Thanks and a very merry Christmas to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I was thinking mounting inside battery cover and have the knob stick out to control heat then put a outlet next to it to plug into. but havent done it yet

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

06 Titanium
Darksider 834
Khumo
Bridgestone 709 front
Progressive fork Springs
Centramatics
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Member

I am interested in the same thing...

Alan
2004 ST1300 ABS w/ too many frickn' farkles to list
2008 Goldwing w/ Comfy & ABS, Full Monty Traxxion, Special Edition V-Stream Windshield, Full Leather Russell Day Long
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Seasoned Member

OK, here is what I have done. I bought two 12" extensions, plugged them into my jacket liner. I then had room to velcro my duel controller on the left front pocket door. I installed a female coax cable in the left front fairing just below the headlite up- down knob. The power cable (red) from the controller plugs into this & during the winter months I leave this plugged in & the controller on the door. Now when I go for a ride I get on the bike, plug in the two cables from my liner & I'm good to go.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Seasoned Member

I am not trying to steal the thread, but maybe I am. I looked at lots of jackets and gloves and decided on the Tourmaster Synergy brand because you did not need a separate controller. I have the power cord attached to the bikes battery and it plugs into the cord on the jacket.

Sorry for taking the thread away, but for those considering heated clothing this may assist them.

The Jacket lists for 199.95 and paid $179.95. I recently won one of these which I am raffling off in the general section.

All proceeds from the sale of the jacket go to my riding club.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Old, But old is better than the alternative.
Current thrill. 2006 Champion trike 2006 GL 1800 with 5.5 degree EZ steer and boy is it? Risers.

Former bikes and plane1962 Elsinore 250.
Piper Comanche airplane180 (thus my road name)
Rotarian since 1984 25 years perfect attendance.
05 Suzuki LS 650
08 Suzuki C50T
22 year Army Vet 56-59 63-82
First Officer Southern Cruisers Chisholm Trail Chapter 82
GWRRA Chapter T Now Flying a Cessna 172. Trike Rider Coach
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckSTer View Post
I'm looking for ideas for mounting my Gerbing controller permanently on the bike. I've been carrying it in a small bag located on the gas filler lid but thats proving impractical as far as one--hand operation goes. Don't want to clip it to my clothing but would rather mount it on the bike somewhere. Any and all ideas, recommendations or suggestions appreciated. Thanks and a very merry Christmas to all.
Gerbing sells a controller specially made for permanent mounting on the bike. Mounts like a switch wherever you chose. Just FYI in case you didn't already know. Never tried mounting the portable controller permantly.
Merry Christmas to you as well.

'08 with '12 MT Adventure kit and '10 with '12 MT Adventure kit
DISCLAIMER: All post are my personal opinion and are in no way intended to reflect on or change the opinions of others.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

A friend showed me his arrangement and I liked it so we did the same to mine. We velcroed and ty wraped the portable dual controller to the right handle bar just below the brake res. and routed the (self made extention) wires around the triple tree and down to the left side air vent and power lead to battery. We removed the about useless vent and installed an ABS plate to fit and mounted a couple of female Coaxial plugs there. I ordered two coiled cables (which I coiled together) from Gerbing to run from these plugs to the jacket liner. Works great and doesn't rub tank plus can dismount bike before unplugging. All parts available at radio shack and or Lowes. We also bought extra male coaxial connectors to plug the females in vent when not in use. If I didn't already have the portable controller i would have considered using Gerbing's perm. mount controller instead.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Contributing Member

I currently use a portable dual temperature controller, but I'm considering purchasing Gerbing's Dual Permanent Temperature Controller. The only decision to make is where to mount it. The installation instructions suggest that mounting the Gerbing controller wouldn't be too hard.

Stan Mattos

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste." UNCF

2008 Titanium GL1800/Navi/ABS with Traxxion (Mega with Brake Pads) & Centramatic Wheel Balancers
1999 Black Excelsior Henderson Super X
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Contributing Member

I just got my permanent controller today and wondering where to mount it...I had heard on the right pocket, but not really sure.....I am going to mount the cigarette adapter in the left pocket and thought it may be nice to mount the controller also on the left pocket....what does everyone think???
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Seasoned Member

I have a single controler that I attached (double sided tape) to the frame just above the chrome alternator cover. When not in use I tuck the cord behind the side panel. Easy to reach down and adjust when traveling.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
...My Son in the Sandbox...

Handley
Avondale, AZ
2002 GL 1800 Stream Silver Metallic
Darksider 1259

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page