Gerbing installation questions - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Gerbing installation questions

Santa brought me a Gerbing jacket liner and G3 gloves. I read the installation manual and am just about ready to connect the wiring harness. Before I do I would appreciate anyones help with these questions:

1- Can I keep the "Battery Tender" pigtail harness connected to the bike, and just place the Gerbing harness rings over the Battery Tender harness rings ? Both wiring harnesses have their own dedicated fuse.
(I suspect this is doable, but the Gerbing manual says ... "Do not use the Battery Tender harness that may already be installed on your vehicle". I suspect this means not to plug the Gerbing products in to the Battery Tender Harness (?).)

2- The manual also says that the amperage draw ( 9.6 in this case ) may exceed a vehicles ability to charge the battery properly. Could this be a problem with the Goldwing 1800 ?

3- It seems somewhere on the boards I read that we need to plug the Gerbings in to the wiring harness AFTER starting the bike, and unplug the Gerbings either before or after the engine is shut off ? I didn't see this being addressed in the Gerbing manual.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks,
Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 Titanium, ABS
USAF veteran, 1968-1972
Darkside # 937
I stop for BBQ !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:52 AM
Seasoned Member

First the battery tender plug. The tender is a light guage wire, and only good for about 5 amps. So, no, do not use the tender plug in. You can switch to the Gerbing battery lead, which is a heavier wire, and has a 15 amp fuse. Then you can use that plug for either. Or, you can stack the plug wires on the battery and use each, but that is messy.

The second is the capacity of the electrical system in the wing. It is about the same as a full sized American Pickup, so it will run just about anything, except maybe an arc welder. So, no problem with the output being able to charge the battery.

Third thing is when to plug in the suit. Plug it in anytime. I just wait until after I start the bike, just because a starter draws a lot of current, and it just lightens the load on the battery while cranking it up. But either way will not hurt a thing.

Stay warm..

Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Seasoned Member

plug in after before doesnt really matter the electrical system has plenty of capacity somewhere up wards of 90 amps, stocklighting is around 24 brake lights another about 7-9 so there is around 55-60 to spare the battery is charged, gerbing liner and G3 gloves about 10 amps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

06 Titanium
Darksider 834
Khumo
Bridgestone 709 front
Progressive fork Springs
Centramatics
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks Harry - you helped me a great deal ! Now, it is installation time. I think I will stack the terminal leads initially, then look in to the Gerbing harness option. I suspect they may be able to guide me with whatever I need from them.

Blessed holidays to you and your family,
Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 Titanium, ABS
USAF veteran, 1968-1972
Darkside # 937
I stop for BBQ !
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Good Info

I did not know that the GW had that many amps from the stock alternator. Good to know, this board is great, always learning something new. Guess I won't worry about adding more LED lighting I've been thinking about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bye, Bye
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thank you rhughes... confirmation is a good thing.

I will look in to a Gerbing adapter to plug the Battery Tender directly to the Gerbing wiring harness. Life is good and even better when we stay warm !

Best wishes,
Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 Titanium, ABS
USAF veteran, 1968-1972
Darkside # 937
I stop for BBQ !
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave95sps View Post
I will look in to a Gerbing adapter to plug the Battery Tender directly to the Gerbing wiring harness
Dave - If you happen to find the part number for that Gerbing adapter, could you post it? Thanks.

Paul
2004 GL1800A
1991 Cycle-Mate CM2000

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

PhotoGuy - Sure will ! I just took photos of the plugs and sent an email to Gerbing to confirm their adapter will fit and can be used to charge the battery via the Gerbing wiring harness. I will post a response when I hear back, may even be today.

Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 Titanium, ABS
USAF veteran, 1968-1972
Darkside # 937
I stop for BBQ !
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Dave if this is your first Gerbing jacket liner & gloves you'll be riding in style. A huge difference compared to unheated clothing.

Ride every chance you get!
Bridgestone Potenza (Darksider) & Bridgestone 709
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Yes indeed Kwikwing, this is my first Heated anything... I have been riding with multiple layers in cold weather for a long time.

Still waiting to hear back from Gerbing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 Titanium, ABS
USAF veteran, 1968-1972
Darkside # 937
I stop for BBQ !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page