Cruise Control Adjustment Question ? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Question Cruise Control Adjustment Question ?

I have just finished center spec'ing my valves on my 09 wing. It seems a little more spirited now or maybe a placebo effect .
I am going to punish my self a little more and install my bikes third air filter tomorrow .
While I have the shelter off I would like to adjust the cruise control. I found this post by "Joe in Cali"

Quote:
If your going to fix the cruise control lag, there is no need to guess how many turns it needs to go. Once you get to where you can adjust the cable, start the bike, run it until the fast idle kicks off and you are at regular idle speed, turn the barrel nut out until there RPM's just start to increase, turn it back in to normal RPM's and your set. No guessing involved
My question is: Is the cruise control switch in the on or off position when this procedure is followed

2012 Level III metalic blue Goldwing - 59K trouble free miles
2009 metallic silver Goldwing - 43K trouble free miles

2005 VTX 1800N - 33K trouble free miles
2005 VTX 1300R - 16K trouble free miles
1975 GL1000 red with chrome fenders & Vetter Windjammer faring
1941 Tank shift Harley Davidson painted light blue with house paint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Red
Chard Member

Doesn't matter. Your cruise won't be engaged at the time.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Gator, from what I have read it doesn't matter. When I did mine it never crossed my mind. I am a little mindless at times.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Member

It does not matter, your adjusting it to the throttle. I never turn the cruse control off, at the on, off switch.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I just turned mine until I felt the slightest point of resistance. Left the cover sitting loose, did a quick ride and it was perfect.

2010 Gold Wing 1970 HP383 'Cuda 2012 Harley FatBoy
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinLite View Post
Gator, from what I have read it doesn't matter. When I did mine it never crossed my mind. I am a little mindless at times.
You ain't the Lone Ranger. Sometimes I look at my drivers license to see who I am .
Thanks all for the quick responses

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Seasoned Member

If you have the air filter housing off, can adjust the cruise by setting a pointer which you will find along the left side of the air filter housing. Will need a flashlight to shine as it is down deep on the left side but easily seen if your looking for it. The pointer should be in the middle of the 2 reference arrows. Adjustment is by loosening the barrel set nut on the cruise cable and then turning the adjustment nut.(mine took about 8 turns) If this is an option your interested in and want in more detail, I can dig up the particulars for you.

2008 Titanium Goldwing CSC Trike,
2006 Honda Rebel
2009 Aluma MCT Trailer
Work & Play Toy Hauler

Wife still cooking,
How much better can it get?

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Goldwinger View Post
If you have the air filter housing off, can adjust the cruise by setting a pointer which you will find along the left side of the air filter housing. Will need a flashlight to shine as it is down deep on the left side but easily seen if your looking for it. The pointer should be in the middle of the 2 reference arrows. Adjustment is by loosening the barrel set nut on the cruise cable and then turning the adjustment nut.(mine took about 8 turns) If this is an option your interested in and want in more detail, I can dig up the particulars for you.
I am interested. From all I have read using the search feature, all who have tried the Honda method were disappointed . I would like to try the RPM method, then look at the arrows and see if they are where they are supposed to be .

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorWing View Post
I
My question is: Is the cruise control switch in the on or off position when this procedure is followed
Ign off, CC switch position does not matter but since those switches go bad from the grease getting hard, the best thing is to use the switch all the time so in this case lets assume the switch was turned off just prior to parking the bike, which is how I opperate my bike.

Since the pointers are so hard to see, it maybe best to pull into a dark garage, lights off, and then use a flash light.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 AM
Seasoned Member

I used the pointer method on my bike and found that it was not that accurate. But using the RPM method was dead on every time I have adjusted a friends cruise control. If you adjust out until the bike just starts to increase RPM and then shorten the cable until your RPM comes back down you will be as good as it can be without any guessing at all. Lock it down and forget about it. JMHO
RogerB

2003 non-ABS
Ex-Darksider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2064 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page