Question on Front Fork Seal Leak Fix. - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Question on Front Fork Seal Leak Fix.

My left fork seal is leaking slightly. I read previous posts on using a piece of plastic or 35mm film to run between the seal and fork for an easy fix. Is "the seal" that is referred to the dust seal or the fork seal under the dust seal? If it is the fork seal then I assume the dust seal has to be removed. Any tricks to do this? If it is the fork seal isn't it hard to get anything between it and the fork? Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Here is a link to a little tool for fork leaks. http://www.sealmate.net/. Many times it is bugs or debris that gets in the seal. There is a video that shows how to use it.

Gary
2002 GL1800
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Seasoned Member

THANKS FOR THAT WEB SITE. I JUST LOCATED THEM AT CYCLR GEAR.

RIDE TO EAT, EAT TO RIDE. (R.A.S & S.S.) 2001 Valkyrie Interstate. 2004 Magenta Goldwing. Veteran U.S.A.F.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Move the dust seal up on the tube. Lift the front of the bike off the ground. If you do not do this some oil will leak out. Take a strip of film negative and insert it between the seal and tube. Move it completely around tube while using an up and down motion. I have had a left fork seal leaking every spring for a couple yrs. and I have done this with success both yrs. I also did this to my 1500 as well. I have since replaced the seal but I am convinced if I had chosen to do it again this spring it would have been good again.

2002 Orange Goldwing DFT Trike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Perfectly described!!! I bet if you told the average 30 year old or younger to use a piece of film negative, they would take the SD card out of the camera and find it wouldn't fit!!

Gary
2002 GL1800
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Seasoned Member

I did get the sealmate from cycle gear. Works just as shown on their site video. No more seal leak,but I will be rebuilding my forks next week.

RIDE TO EAT, EAT TO RIDE. (R.A.S & S.S.) 2001 Valkyrie Interstate. 2004 Magenta Goldwing. Veteran U.S.A.F.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Yes .. the seal you are looking at is a dust seal. Under it is another for sealing in fork fluid.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Left fork leaking

I recently noticed oil on the concrete on the left side of the front wheel of my 01 Wing. (strange how everyone has a leak on the left side) I thought it might be brake fluid but the reserv. was not low, and the oil was a little darker than new motor oil. I'm really glad I checked this forum before I started taking things apart. Hopefully the video mentioned earlier in this thread will show what I have to remove to get to the seal(s).

Thanks for the info, and any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Money talks....mine usually says 'goodbye'.
2001 Goldwing / 2009 Hannigan Trike
2005 Honda VTX1300-R
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmusick1 View Post
I recently noticed oil on the concrete on the left side of the front wheel of my 01 Wing. (strange how everyone has a leak on the left side) I thought it might be brake fluid but the reserv. was not low, and the oil was a little darker than new motor oil. I'm really glad I checked this forum before I started taking things apart. Hopefully the video mentioned earlier in this thread will show what I have to remove to get to the seal(s).

Thanks for the info, and any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Honda upgraded the left fork with a 2nd, inner seal on the 2006+.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Fork oil

Don't forget to check the oil level in that fork. It's not enought to just run that tool, or film negative around the seal.

Even thought Honda doesn't call for regular maintenance on the forks, I would recommend it at least every other year, depending on mileage. I upgraded the springs and put in the RaceTech kit in early 2008. I decided to check and replace the fork oil in November 2010, not quite 3 years, and I couldn't believe how dirty and gunky that fork oil was!! I think changing the fork oil will save those bushings & seals from deterioration!!

Gary
2002 GL1800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1954 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page