Knocking when starting cold? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Knocking when starting cold?

Just wondering what is normal? When I start the bike and the engine is cold it will knock enough to both hear and feel in the handlebars. It seems worse when the air temp is cold. After it is warm it is very smooth and a wonderful ride. I use mostly 87 octane but I will mix in 93 on occasion (I really don't want to start an octane war). I live at sea level and it is usually humid, but not on today's ride when I noticed it again. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Not normal! It could be fuel related (as you are assuming) and you have a bad knock sensor, or more likely you are real low on oil or have a clogged oil filter. I'd change over to full synthetic immediately with a new OEM filter (seems to aid wear upon start-up by sticking to cold parts better) and make sure you have at least 4 full quarts in there!
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggersm View Post
Just wondering what is normal? When I start the bike and the engine is cold it will knock enough to both hear and feel in the handlebars. It seems worse when the air temp is cold. After it is warm it is very smooth and a wonderful ride. I use mostly 87 octane but I will mix in 93 on occasion (I really don't want to start an octane war). I live at sea level and it is usually humid, but not on today's ride when I noticed it again. Is this normal?

I'm your neighbor and I can not run 87 in mine. I hear all kinds of clutch problems, valve problems, etc. I ride with my head cocked forward listening to all the problems my bike has. I put mid or high grade in and all problems go away . Have you noticed if it go away with "higher octane?"

Rob - 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Mileage, year, how long was it sitting since last start-up, and how long did the noise last?

Is yours gone in seconds after starting cold and most would call it a heavy knock?

Unfortunatly, on GL1800s a heavy startup knock at times is not unusual. Oil grade and type has little to do with it. I sometimes get that if mine sits for weeks, like 3 or more. It happens after truning off our motor, and the oil pump quit pumping, and the oil settles to the bottom of the motor, and the crank shaft drips "dry." On most motors, the crank shaft live in the bottom of the motor where the oil drips to, but on a GL1800 the the tranny lives there. You are probably hearing rod bearing noise, and it is gone in seconds after start up (less then 5 secs). On my different ones, I have tried the Honda Synthetic Blend, and it seemed more frequent then, but like Gary stated, I would have expected the oppisite. So, I am back to running Honda GN4 10/40. If you want to prevent it, ride it daily. Another way is to remove the FI/IGN FUES, and crank it for 30 secs before starting to get oil pumping after it has been sitting. The problem there is that sometime you may find it happening after only sitting for a couple of days. As for frequancy, any of mine might do it once a year in the climate here; I ride a least 340 days a year. It didn't seem to matter which kick stand I used.

Advice is like cooking ... I always try it before I feed it to others !!!
Florida Prowler #78
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Red
Chard Member

Try parking it on the centerstand.

If you want to pump oil before starting open the throttle all the way. It won't start, but will turn over.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Seasoned Member

My 02 with 260,000 miles has done that about 5 or 6 times since new. Scares me but I guess it doesn't mean anything. My wifes 03 with 100,000 has done it a couple times too. Always start it with no throttle and let it idle while I put my helmet on.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Try parking it on the centerstand.

If you want to pump oil before starting open the throttle all the way. It won't start, but will turn over.

Thats it ???? Throttle fully open and the engine will turn over without starting ? Serious ...? nothing else to do !!! Well we learn something everyday ) thanks for the tips
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Member

knock

The oil filter has a check valve.

I would change the filter and add oil.

Cheep to try. Good luck.

Regards,

Marching down the rough pathway of time

DARKSIDING, CHALLENGING THE
ORTHODOXY OF THE MOMENT.

2003 Goldwing +93,000 miles and sold
2008 Goldwing ABS comfort 80,000 miles and counting

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The early years
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Oil weight? Define "cold". Mine has sat for a month, started and ran fine without knocking. Gas won't make a difference in the startup knocking. I have heard of a littel noise around the clutch, some say store it on the center stand to prevent it, but, I haven't experienced it yet.

Best guess, Make sure the crank case is full of proper oil weight. Just a SWAG though.

Good Luck

Cheers and Good Riding, Keith
DROP, FALL, AND DOWN ARE 4 LETTER WORDS
I, my typing, and spelling are far from perfect. Get over it.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Member

I also suspect oil starvation and not an ignition/combustion knock. I do think engine oil type and grade can be a factor. If you are using a more restrictive oil filter, DON'T. If you are using 20W50, DON'T (at least until summer is here). Red is spot on about using the center stand if this is a dry clutch basket and not an engine knock. Using a HD synthetic motor oil like Mobil Delvac One or Shell Rotella T6 will offer your faster oil circulation, quicker pressure build-up, and an oil film that very stubbornly clings to the parts to which it need to cling. So, an oil with a lower cold viscosity and excellent cling, use an OE oil filter or equivalent, uese the center stand. Spinning up the oil pressure with the starter motor like Red explained is another work around, but should not be necessary with the other changes.

prs

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page