Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand

Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand on a Goldwing? It says it is rating for 500 lbs. Is that enough for either the front or rear tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Looks like you could drive onto it with your front tire and then put it on the center stand. The front will spin while you clean it and the back will spin while in neutural. Let us know how it works, I might go by and get one myself. Beats trying to turn it by hand.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Seasoned Member

If I need to spin the front wheel for cleaning I just use a scissor jack under the engine case with the bike up on the center stand. This works with the bike on the table lift as well. Easy peasy....

Getting the wing off the center stand with that HF device is a struggle.... not so easy peasy....

Larry Price
Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

I had one and took it back. Had issues when putting on centerstand where tire was not in all the way between the 2 rollers. It would sit on only one roller. I have carpet in garage not sure if that has anything to do with it. I exchanged it for one of those little caster wheel seats to roll around on and clean the bike. Now that works great!

2010 Titanium level 1 new 3/12/11
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Yes carpet is an issue, it sorta works ok on concrete getting it up on the center stand, but getting it off looks a little bit like a monkey and a football....

Of course you could always just leave in on the side stand to do the front wheel.... shrug...

Larry Price
Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

I seem to remember a post several months ago on this same item. The poster said that the rollers were very hard to turn with weight on them as if they had very poor bearings. Maybe they have improved since then.

Joe in Modesto

'05 Blue 1800 ABS
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingd1800 View Post
I had one and took it back. Had issues when putting on centerstand where tire was not in all the way between the 2 rollers. It would sit on only one roller. I have carpet in garage not sure if that has anything to do with it. I exchanged it for one of those little caster wheel seats to roll around on and clean the bike. Now that works great!
Carpet?? You have a fancy garage ey' I cant keep concrete clean how do you keep that nice?

06 white Level 3 Traxxion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

get a lift, Pitbull is a popular lift but expensive, most of the cheaper ones will work just as well for polishing wheels, then u can sit on a chair and be comfortable

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 465,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Like others have said, the rear spins in neutral on the centerstand. For the front I grab the wheel and pull up (while on the centerstand) and it picks the front end up enough to turn the tire so I can keep cleaning it. Although, generally, I let the good lord clean it for me when he waters the earth.

Learn to ride the bike, so the bike doesn't ride you when and if you ever need to use it to its full potential. Learning doesn't end when the MSF ridercoach hands you the BRC completion card.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Member

I have one, never use it. It's not a bad tool really, bearings are plenty OK for goldwing on the centerstand. The problems are lifting the front of the goldwing high enough to slip the wheel stand under. The goldwing is heavy to lift the front 2" off the floor while on the centerstand to slip the wheel cleaning stand under. It can be done, I did it, but then if the stand is not positioned just 100% perfectly perfect, the wheel when turned will walk off to one side or the other of the stand and make turning the wheel a chore rubbing on the frame of the cleaning stand. Much better to use the jack as mentioned or improvise some other means of lift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page